cCleaner removes emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ran cCleaner to remove much garbage and I let the program run in default mode. I frequently lose emails that I wanted to save in folders. I don't know which sub-file in cCleaner to uncheck to stop this. Suggestions please. Ed Hayes

CCleaner shouldn't be touching any emails unless you have them saved in a Temp directory or something similar. Perform an Analyze before a Run and look at where CCleaner is cleaning them from. The Analyze will show you everything that will be deleted when performing the actual Run.

Originally Posted By: Saleen0679
CCleaner shouldn't be touching any emails

I agree. I'm interested to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

I've used CC for quite awhile and have never known it to mess with any emails at all. If you're "frequently losing emails", something else is going on.

Been using CCleaner for a couple of years. Mozilla Thunderbird is my email client. Emails have never been touched, even when I used to use it in the default mode.

Eddie-

What is your computer? Operating System? Your email handler? I doubt that ccleaner is the culprit, but SURE would be nice to know where your missing mail is going!

W8, DELL computer, Yahoo mail. The lost email is only the recent emails saved in folders. I see Ccleaner has a box to delete recent documents- I will uncheck this box and see if that is my issue. Ed

Originally Posted By: Eddie
W8, DELL computer, Yahoo mail. The lost email is only the recent emails saved in folders. I see Ccleaner has a box to delete recent documents- I will uncheck this box and see if that is my issue. Ed

recent documents are shortcuts not deleting the actual documents.

Tell us more about "recent emails saved in folders". Are you saving copies of email messages to your hard drive? Your Yahoo mail (even ones filed in mail folders) normally will be stored on their mail server, and CCleaner would have no access to this. You see a "window" to your mail through your browser, but CCleaner would have no way (and no incentive) to go through your email box and delete emails.

I ran a series of tests to determine what is causing my emails, that I put into folders, to disappear and was I surprised. I sent an email to myself and put it in a folder. Then I ran cCleaner two ways. One way with the Document box checked and one way without. The email remained. Then I checked my cell phone and the email was there and I erased it from the cell. The email was gone from my desk top. So when emails are erased/removed from my cell phone, they are removed from my computer. Totally weird but true, and I don't know how to fix this. Ed

Not weird at all. That is how IMAP email servers work. If you perform an action on one device, all the other devices will be automatically updated based on this action. It is actually a great feature.

Just don't delete them from your phone if you want to keep them.

Interesting Quattro. I'm not so sure that when I delete emails from my desktop that they are removed from my Cell, but that's another test. Thanks. Ed

Also, not sure about Yahoo, but Gmail lets you archive the message instead of deleting it when you try to delete it off your phone.

But even if you do delete it, you should still be able to go into your trash folder and recover what you deleted by mistake.

I've been using Yahoo mail & cCleaner for many years. Sounds like Quattro Pete has solved the mystery.

I'd get those emails out of your Yahoo trash (move them back to your folders) as soon as you can. I looked up their trash-emptying policy not that long ago, and it's indeterminate. Some places will delete anything that's been in your trash longer than 30 days, but Yahoo doesn't have that policy (as far as I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back