Fuel system cleaners targeted at ethanol fuels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They usually come in green bottles (STP, Lucas), I thought ethanol was considered clean burning, the STP bottle says it's for E10, E15 and E85."fight fuel economy loss due to ethanol fuel deposits, prevent rust and corrosion, save gas and lower emissions by removing fuel system deposits " treats up to 21 gallons, "for ethanol fuels". Has anybody used this type of FS cleaner in a regular IC engine and what do you think it mainly is, a lubricant like marvel mystery oil?

Antioxidant to deal Witt the water attracted by ethanol, and a cleaner most likely pea to clean the black goop that ethanol leaves behind.

In my experience, E10 gives less economy, because it contains fewer BTUs. It does absorb water, and will break down by forming layers, in storage. But, if it is used within a couple of months of purchase, this is not an issue.

I doubt any special sort of fuel system cleaner is required, for ethanol vs. "Real" gas, as long as the vehicle is operated enough to require a fillup, every couple of months.

If the vehicle does not get that much use, you would be better served by treating the fuel going into the tank, rather than cleaning up behind it. Or.....Find a source of 100% gasoline.

Mostly unecessary as a cleaner, because ethanol doesn't leave the same black goop as gasoline, to be cleaned, minimal valve and ring pack deposits to deal with. Just the top end lube capacity is of some utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back