M1 0W-40, 7500 miles, 2003 Audi A6 2.7t Stage 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

I did a random UOA on the last run of M1 just to see what it would say. $11 at my local CAT dealer, so I figured what the heck. Wish I'd asked for a TBN number, but will probably do another UOA on the current fill and get that added on.

They say that there's nothing out of the ordinary, but I'm a little concerned about the Na and K showing up. I've never used a Valvoline product or any other that I can think of that uses a Na additive, so can this mean a possible coolant intrusion? I will likely do a back to back UOA to see if it goes away, but before doing this UOA I changed the coolant from AM/AM back to G13.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

I've never had a UOA done by a CAT dealer but heard they offer the service. Will need to look into it esp. given the price point.

As to potassium, 36 ppm seems high. Not sure about Mobil but Valvoline oils use sodium as additive. I believe VOA's have come with 400 ppm or so.

I had over 100+ ppm potassium in a UAO last year. It was time to replace head gaskets. Hope not the case for you as I see your lead is low and no coolant is found.

they will provide both TBN and TAN for no additional charge if you ask for it. Just write it on the slip somewhere before shipping it.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

They say that there's nothing out of the ordinary, but I'm a little concerned about the Na and K showing up. I've never used a Valvoline product or any other that I can think of that uses a Na additive, so can this mean a possible coolant intrusion? I will likely do a back to back UOA to see if it goes away, but before doing this UOA I changed the coolant from AM/AM back to G13.

Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

As for the Na, do you use ANY additive? I found out that BG MOA has Na in it....
I'm at a loss at to what is AM/AM? Please clarify. As for G13, just curious--in 2002/2003, the factory would have filled with G11? G10? At any rate prior to G13 or even G12. So not tracking the "back to" G13.
My point is: While VAG claim G13 backward compatible--how do we really know, and is there a formulation difference that now "lacks' something the gaskets and seals need which was in the factory fill?

No additives used in the run.

I was running an All Makes/All Models coolant in it for a little while out of necessity, then switched back to G13 when I could. It came original with G12 and I had been using that up until recently and got a good deal on the G13 from my dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back