we just got a new subaru forester

Status
Not open for further replies.
let me just say that we totally don't fit the age demographic of the Subaru Forester.. my girlfriend and I just bought a brand new 2015 Subaru Forester 98 Subaru Forester as something like 365k on it and although it still runs, it has a once every other cooling system issue that would cause me to leave work and go save her.

It is super hard to find what seems to be a simple combonation. manual trans, awd, and reasonable mpg. We looked at sub 50k cars and they were only $2000 cheaper.

The thing is super nice. Does anyone have any experience with new subaru? Good or bad?
How long would you wait until switching to a syn motor oil?

Originally Posted By: hansj3
let me just say that we totally don't fit the age demographic of the Subaru Forester...

You don't go on to say how old you are, or what the "correct" age is for a Forester owner, but don't worry about it. I'm a 35 year old male who drives a "chick car".

Drive what you enjoy, and let others make the vanity purchases!

I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption issue. I owned an 07' WRX which I bought new. I sold it with 136K on it and the only issue I had was the clutch slave cylinder went out. Bought an OEM kit to rebuild it for $20 and it was fixed.

Switching? It probably has synthetic oil from the factory.

I have a 2014 Forester Premium model with CVT. No oil consumption issues here. I have come to really like the Subaru CVT and it gets excellent fuel mileage, like well above 30 mpg on average. Handles well and seems to be well built.

We are in our mid 20s. I got my forester when I was 18 after not being able to find an impreza wagon. She got hers at 20 after seeing how useful it was.
The car itself feels solid, almost Germanic bank vault when shutting doors. Between space and the solid nature it won out over the xv crosstrek that she thought she wanted

A random thought but does anyone think that the CVT caused the oil consumption? Possibly causing cyl glazing? I have been taking the mototune USA prosses even though I know a lot of the break in happens at the factory now

We are in our mid 20s. I got my forester when I was 18 after not being able to find an impreza wagon. She got hers at 20 after seeing how useful it was.
The car itself feels solid, almost Germanic bank vault when shutting doors. Between space and the solid nature it won out over the xv crosstrek that she thought she wanted

A random thought but does anyone think that the CVT caused the oil consumption? Possibly causing cyl glazing? I have been taking the mototune USA prosses even though I know a lot of the break in happens at the factory now

Here's an experiment you can try;

Replace the cvt with a proper manual and report back on consumption.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Here's an experiment you can try;

Replace the cvt with a proper manual and report back on consumption.

The OP already has a manual trans.

The thing is super nice. Does anyone have any experience with new subaru? Good or bad?

Congrats on the purchase! To me, the most Subaru for your dollar is the Forester. Not my cup-o-tea in terms of looks, but looks aren't everything.

How do you like the 6spd manual? The 5spd manual in my 2014 XV Crosstrek is a frustrating one. Not so much the shifting itself, but the numb clutch feel and super long travel of the clutch pedal makes it a chore.

I have had to top-up the engine oil a few times on my XV. I'm currently at ~22K miles. It's a 5qt system on the FB20 engine and the low oil level light comes on when it's a quart low. I do ~6Kmi OCIs, with blue Subaru filters. I have been using Napa 0w20. Recently filled it with conventional Napa 5w20.

Previous ride was a leased 2012 Legacy CVT. Loved that car and drivetrain. Just hated the super low seating position and lack of ground clearance on that particular model.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK

Congrats on the purchase! To me, the most Subaru for your dollar is the Forester. Not my cup-o-tea in terms of looks, but looks aren't everything.

CVT to CVT the Outback vs Forester in base form seem like very close with Outback winning in many aspects like ride, towing, acceptable looks and feeling more expensive then it is. Not sure where Forester is really better except more useful loading in cargo hold.

I have gotten 2015 Forester as a loaner and parents have base 2015 Outback they actually tow a small trailer with to use a replacement for Tundra.

I don't believe I said the Forester is better. I too would take an Outback over a Forester any day. Comparing basic to basic, a Forester takes less money to buy with pretty much all the functionality of an Outback.

I was considering a 2015/2016 Forester but going on a Subaru forum I read many bad reviews on the inadequate heater in the Forester/Outback in cold weather states. Mostly 2014's. Also the lack of response about the issue from Subaru to the affected people was a turn off.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ronbo
I was considering a 2015/2016 Forester but going on a Subaru forum I read many bad reviews on the inadequate heater in the Forester/Outback in cold weather states. Mostly 2014's. Also the lack of response about the issue from Subaru to the affected people was a turn off.

Yep, the HVAC definitely did not blast you out of the cabin on my 2012 Legacy, nor does it on the XV Crosstrek. You will notice it in extremes of ambient temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back