Toyota 5w30 quality ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can anyone link me to discussions about Toyota 5w30 ? I have searched best i can and only find 0w20 I used TGMO 0w20 in my CRV but just traded for a Tacoma and it calls for 5w30 and the dealer will do maintenance for 5 years 60K miles and supposedly they use TGMO (i need to confirm this)

So let me get this straight, you believed in Toyota enough to purchase a vehicle they produce but you don't believe in them enough to trust that they produce an oil that will protect their engines for 100's of thousands of miles?

Not a thing wrong with TGMO of any grade.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
No way.... they are going to put any oil from the bulk tank in the truck.

There website says they only use TGMO but i will verify by calling them.

Originally Posted By: Throt
So let me get this straight, you believed in Toyota enough to purchase a vehicle they produce but you don't believe in them enough to trust that they produce an oil that will protect their engines for 100's of thousands of miles?

so let me get this straight, you just made this comment to up your post count with no real contribution to the question asked. you do realize you are on a huge forum where the main topic is discussing motor oil.

You aren't using Motorcraft in your Taurus ... haha

Originally Posted By: Arctic388

so let me get this straight, you just made this comment to up your post count with no real contribution to the question asked. you do realize you are on a huge forum where the main topic is discussing motor oil.

smile.gif

Ok, I'll contribute something.

I went to a TOYOTA dealer a few hours away. Asked for TGMO at the counter and Penzoil was put in, unknown to me.. Now... it's beside the fact that Penzoil Platinum is a fine oil and is pizie dust to some folks but I noticed a change in the sound of my Corolla. Seriously, it was louder, especially on cold starts

I went back and asked... sure enough Penzoil and not the TGMO I wanted. Again, to the Penzoil fanboys who are about to post,,, I don't care if it is great oil. Its not what I was sold or told or wanted.

I got a refund. I got it out after the 1k miles and back in went the TGMO. Sounds like it should now.

Bottom line. The OP should call and verify. The OP is completely sane and within rights.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

You aren't using Motorcraft in your Taurus ... haha

Indeed but I don't for a second question it's ability to protect my engine. I just choose not to use it.

The PQIA has a report on Toyota 5w-30 conventional. It looks pretty sporty. TBN over 8, Noack 12 which is good for a conventional, a bit thick at -30. This is what I hope has been used in my lady's 98 Camry.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The PQIA has a report on Toyota 5w-30 conventional. It looks pretty sporty. TBN over 8, Noack 12 which is good for a conventional, a bit thick at -30. This is what I hope has been used in my lady's 98 Camry.

thank you for this

Yeah no problem. I ran across this because when we got my lady's car from her grandmother I knew she had taken to a Toyota dealership. So curiosity got the better of me and I found this in the PQIA site. They really do a nice job there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SumpChump

I went to a TOYOTA dealer a few hours away. Asked for TGMO at the counter and Penzoil was put in, unknown to me.. Now... it's beside the fact that Penzoil Platinum is a fine oil and is pizie dust to some folks but I noticed a change in the sound of my Corolla. Seriously, it was louder, especially on cold starts

I went back and asked... sure enough Penzoil and not the TGMO I wanted. Again, to the Penzoil fanboys who are about to post,,, I don't care if it is great oil. Its not what I was sold or told or wanted.

I got a refund. I got it out after the 1k miles and back in went the TGMO. Sounds like it should now.

They will probably nominate you for "customer of the year" after that.

Maintaining a good working relationship with your dealer is paramount if you ever bump into a serious situation with your car that requires them to make a call like "is this covered under warranty or not".

To the OP's topic, I wouldn't worry about TGMO or for that matter any commercial 1st tier engine oil (Pennzoil/Mobil/Castrol) in your vehicle.

Even 2nd tier stuff like Warren or Valvoline will do a great job at 5,000 mile OCI's.

it going to be interesting when i go for my first service. i will have a bag for my used filter to be placed in and a oil sample bottle for a mid stream catch for sampling. i cut open all my filters and video them.

Toyota produces oil?! News to me!

To my knowledge OP hasn't distinguished between conventional or synthetic, but for the former, Toyo dealers use every/any brand available....Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil.....I don't know about syn though.

Last edited:
well . . . . . I just called and the closest place said for 5w30 syn would be Toyota or Mobil 1. Then I called the dealer i bought it from that is 45 mins up the road and he said Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back