Do you think this was harmful to my transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want some opinions on this. Car in question is a 2003 Toyota Corolla with about 137,000 miles. Since I got the car at 60,000 miles I've done regular (20-30k) transmission fluid changes, always with toyoya type IV transmission fluid. Last one was about 12,000 miles ago. I've been admittedly slack about checking the level the last 12,000 miles as my wife has traveled extensively with the car, so I've just done some quick oil changes during that time. Anyway, as she was getting ready to go out of state again I checked the trans fluid level and it read about 1mm below the low hot line on the dipstick. It took about 6.6 ozs of fluid to raise it to the top of the hot line. I think it may have been low the whole 12,000 miles due to to me accidentally using 3 quarts instead of 3.2 quarts last time i changed it.

So do you think 6.6 ozs (about 2.46% of system capacity low, at 7.7 quarts) is enough to damage the system? The car has and continues to shift as it should. Or am I worrying about nothing?

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

So do you think 6.6 ozs (about 2.46% of system capacity low, at 7.7 quarts) is enough to damage the system? The car has and continues to shift as it should. Or am I worrying about nothing?

No problem, no harm done.

I'm still on the ATF factory fill on my 2003 Corolla with 227000 miles. I think you're fine.

You've answered your own question.
I can't see how 6.6 oz out of 7.7 qts would be enough to cause any harm.
2.46%?
The sky isn't falling.
Most automatics are far more vulnerable to abusive driving than they are to a fluid level at the low end of the acceptable range, although with more modern electronic controls, it's pretty hard to abuse a newer automatic.
With your frequent drain and fills as well as what I'l assume is your wife's gentle driving, the tranny should last as long as you care to use the car.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You've answered your own question.
I can't see how 6.6 oz out of 7.7 qts would be enough to cause any harm.
2.46%?
The sky isn't falling.
Most automatics are far more vulnerable to abusive driving than they are to a fluid level at the low end of the acceptable range, although with more modern electronic controls, it's pretty hard to abuse a newer automatic.
With your frequent drain and fills as well as what I'l assume is your wife's gentle driving, the tranny should last as long as you care to use the car.

I think your right. Its a 12 year old car, so stuff can happen regardless, but I dont think this could bring it on. Just trying to avoid having the car poop the bed right as my wife is going back to school
smile.gif

If your care of the transaxle is indicative of the care the rest of the car receives, as it likely is, then this little Toy will probably give you a number of additional years and miles of service.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If your care of the transaxle is indicative of the care the rest of the car receives, as it likely is, then this little Toy will probably give you a number of additional years and miles of service.

5,000 mile oil changes with mobil-1 since i got it 80,000 miles ago. Dealer maintained prior. If you didnt see the odometer youd guess it has 30,000 on the motor by how quiet it runs and how suddenly the motor shuts down when you kill the ignition.

The tranny would likely start slipping if the fluid got too low. Your situation amounts to a thimble full.

1mm below the low hot line on the dipstick. It took about 6.6 ozs of fluid to raise it to the top of the hot line.

if you are not joking, you should get a BITOG medal.

no harm at all. that is barely low. besides, the Aisin Warner transmissions in those cars are practically bulletproof. to be harmful, the level would almost have to be low enough to cause fluid cavitation that show up as slipping.

You have got to be kidding! It sounds like you have maintained that trans better than anyone would ever think of doing. 6oz low is nothing I would worry about.

Instead of spending so much time and energy on ATF, you might be better served by replacing your O2 sensors, intake manifold gasket, and your timing chain tensioner O-ring or spend the $20 and replace the whole timing chain tensioner.

If it didn't get too hot it will be fine. Temperature kills transmissions long before low fluid volume ( although it's the low volume that leads to raised temperature).

The amount you were low versus system volume, plus assuming low load on the transmission (women driver, no towing, etc) I would say stop worrying if it smells OK on the dipstick (no burnt smell).

Want some opinions on this... I checked the trans fluid level and it read about 1mm below the low hot line on the dipstick. It took about 6.6 ozs of fluid to raise it to the top of the hot line.

How much did it take to raise the level to the bottom hot line?

Or am I worrying about nothing?

You're on BITOG so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back