Wheel bearing grease chrysler 8 3/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost done putting together a chrysler 8 3/4 axle that's going into my 91 dodge power ram 150, it's a short bed 4x4 truck, it did have a chrysler 9 1/4 in it but the pinion bearings went south and I'm starting to feel a lot of thumping from the rear axle, instead of re-building the 9 1/4 I decided to get ahold of an 8 3/4. I don't like the 9 1/4 crush sleeve for pinion bearing pre-load and I don't like that the 9 1/4 is a c clip axle.
The 8 3/4 is far superior in my opinion. I put new inner wheel seals in the axle, the bearings and races look good to me, so I decided to take a chance on them and grease them up and use them.
I have some Napa premium performance grease, it says wheel bearings and chassis grease, it's a white lithium grease made by Ashland for Napa, it's pretty tacky, then I have some valvoline synpower grease that is a lithium grease with some moly in it. What would you use out of the two? I'm leaning towords using the Napa grease because it seems like it is tackier to me and I've used it on my front wheel bearings in my dana 44 with good results.

If u had good results with the Napa grease, then I would use it. Personally I have used valvoline grease w no problems.

You need to contact Moser Engineering before you go any further. The Dana 60 rear end is a really good axle. You can buy a pinion shimmed spacer to replace the crush sleeve and press-on axle bearings to replace the c-clips on this axle. While the 8 3/4 axle is strong, it doesn't hold a candle to the Dana 60.
www.moserengineering.com 1-260-726-6689

I messed up.......the Dana 60 is NOT the 9 1/4, I'm wrong, fingers typing before brain caught it. I would still contact Moser before going any further.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Wrong...the wheel bearings are packed with grease.

shocked2.gif

The Chrysler 8 3/4" diff does in fact take wheel bearing grease for the axle bearings & Has an Adjuster for bearing preload. I had one for years in a '57 Chevy drag car.

Hi-Temp disc brake bearing grease is fine.

I was just wondering if the Napa grease would be too thin for the bearings. It says it's good for wheel bearings though and I've used it on the wheel bearings in my dana 44 without any issues.
You want a tacky grease for bearings right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back