Best lube for door hinges

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use M1 Syn grease and my car doors are quiet again. Applied with a q tip its works wonders. 3 in 1 oil just didnt cut it. I washed my car so much I guess it washed away. Used on doors at home; I could hear a ghost if it tried to sneak in.

A lot of people say "don't use graphite"... They use silicone spray or white lithium.

On hinges that I can remove, I put graphited grease on the pin (done at home one time a year ago, still no squeaks, and even the airflow when I pass through a door will make that one move !)

On car hinges, I put some Transyl. Works for at least 4 months in bad weather.

I ONLY use white lithium grease. Always have and never an issue. As the matter of fact, when I buy a new car, I coat the hinges with white lithium grease ONCE EVER and keep the vehicle into it's teens. Never an issue, never a squeak or groan! The white lithium stays put through all seasons here in Upstate NY and my cars are always outside!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ted s
motor oil

That will attract dirt, grit and wear out a hinge in no time. Use a good silicon spray or lithium spray grease a few times a year.

Last edited:
White lithium never seems to impregnate or find its way in... Just makes a mess on the outside...

Since I was spraying around the car I shot mine with Fluid Film. Does the trick, but I would not do to a "nice" car.

Dupont multi-use lubricant w/ teflon, blue can. Available just about everywhere. If you want it a little waxier and with some moly in it too, get Dupont Chain Saver, yellow can.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
White lithium never seems to impregnate or find its way in... Just makes a mess on the outside...
+100 And I have tried many different brands :-(

I've been using Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector on the hinges of my cars. It sprays on and then dries to sort of a waxy film that doesn't attract dirt like oil or white lithium grease. It dries almost clear so it doesn't leave a mess like white lithium grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back