4 Stroke 0W40....

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of statement is that? "Seems like wear numbers would be good if you can run 40 in your bike"....what is that statement based on?

I would never buy anything Klotz. But it seems to have a similar following as Amsoil.

It's probably decent oil though. Not sure I'd pay $19/quart for it though. Probably not the most shear stable, and it's a 0w40 because it goes into a snowmobile. But if you don't changing your bike's oil often, which I enjoy, then you can run a 0w40 in a bike.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
What kind of statement is that? "Seems like wear numbers would be good if you can run 40 in your bike"....what is that statement based on?

I would never buy anything Klotz. But it seems to have a similar following as Amsoil.

It's probably decent oil though. Not sure I'd pay $19/quart for it though. Probably not the most shear stable, and it's a 0w40 because it goes into a snowmobile. But if you don't changing your bike's oil often, which I enjoy, then you can run a 0w40 in a bike.

I posted this for conversation. I don't get out much but, it's first 0W I've seen for 4-stroke application. I would think wear numbers would be good based on 0W, most wear is at start-up. I live in a part of the country where I don't consider running 40 in much of anything power sport wise. I have nothing to run this type oil in. I am curious about 0W40 though but, not necessarily Klotz.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bushshaker
I posted this for conversation. I don't get out much but, it's first 0W I've seen for 4-stroke application. I would think wear numbers would be good based on 0W, most wear is at start-up. I live in a part of the country where I don't consider running 40 in much of anything power sport wise. I have nothing to run this type oil in. I am curious about 0W40 though but, not necessarily Klotz.

Both Mobil 1 and Castrol make highly regarded, and much less expensive 0W/40. As far as motorcycle application is concerned, the 0W does not mean much, unless you plan to start your bike in -35C conditions. Above -15C, a 0W and a 10W are by definition in the same viscosity range.

If you are talking about using this in a motorcycle with a wet clutch, you have to be careful that the oil does not contain friction modifiers....("Energy Conserving" in the circle that defines the specs of the oil are a bad thing for wet clutches.)

Then, since the oil would also be in the shared gear box, shearing out of grade (So that your 40 weight would soon be a 30 weight) and so on, can be an important issue.

Diesel oils are popular for use in shared sump motorcycles, with wet clutches. If you want a synthetic, Rotella T6 or Delo, either in 5W/40 are excellent choices. But many would argue that the conventional versions, Rotella T5 or Delo 15W/40 would shear less, in those gear boxes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bushshaker

I don't get out much but, it's first 0W I've seen for 4-stroke application.

You do realize that every 0W40 oil on the market IS 4 stroke oil, even if the label doesn't specifically say that in big letters.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
But...

"Increases torque curve for improved throttle response..."

"Fresh lubricant is FAST lubricant..."

What's not to like...? LOL

LOL.... pass

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It's 4x the price of T6...
But it has Estolin. And it Smells like Klotz should smell.
confused.gif

Polaris had the 0W40 out in 1995, long before the 0W craze. I figure it was because Polaris is a die hard artic company and can't help themselves. I remember thinking it was crazy back then a 0w oil???

It is a JASO certified oil so it probably isn't too bad. It will just empty your wallet in a hurry. In 4-stroke bikes/wheelers i like to use the 10w40 motorcycle specific oils from valvoline and Mobil 1, because i can get both at walmart. Also if its too cold for a 10w40 i dont wanna be riding lol

I never liked klotz two cycle oils either. i always had lower wear running Silkoline, or yamalube in my dirtbikes. Klotz did always smell great tho!

Last edited:
Most of us don't do much riding at 45 degrees, but hot is O.K..

I would get some quality Shell 15w-40 for those GA temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back