Mourning Dove

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year we have mourning doves return to the same nest in one of our crabapple trees that flank our deck. She's about 25' away from the camera. Other birds tend to fly off when people get near, but she just calmly sits there and doesn't seemed bothered by us at all.

So far I've found 5 nests in our various fruit trees-mostly robins. I haven't checked the larger trees like the maples yet.

I will shoot a lot of things but I will not shoot a mourning dove, they mate for life and I love the sound

Originally Posted By: dave123
Fun to shoot and taste good.

I never quite understood the appeal in hunting them. There's no real sport in it. They are such a calm, relaxed bird that it takes no skill whatsoever. And for no bigger than they are one would think that real game would be more of a challenge if one were to hunt for food. But I guess for hunters who don't have real skills they at least offer a challenge that's a step above shooting beer cans.

Uh, oh... pop got a new camera.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

a DIGITAL camera ????? !!!! !!!

I've had a digital camera since 1998 when I bought my first Kodak DC120. This one I've had since last year. Far more cost effective than film and processing.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

a DIGITAL camera ????? !!!! !!!

I've had a digital camera since 1998 when I bought my first Kodak DC120. This one I've had since last year. Far more cost effective than film and processing.

I am impressed a person like you would waste money on early/overpriced tech back then. I still use my original digital Camaera a Nikon D50 which takes impresive pics for what it is.

You taught me the correct spelling of this type of dove. I always though they were morning not mourning. However I'd never seen it written.

Nice pic.

We have a mating pair of Doves that return to our yard every year, too. I don't mind the sounds they make, but the one thing that disturbs me is that they've taken to mating in the rain gutter that is 2 feet outside of my bathroom window.

Nothing creepier than going to the cabinet for my medicine and seeing one bird bouncing on top of the other in the gutter. Plus they sit on the peak of our kid's playground set and poop all over it. I wish they'd find another yard to nest in.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
We have a mating pair of Doves that return to our yard every year, too. I don't mind the sounds they make, but the one thing that disturbs me is that they've taken to mating in the rain gutter that is 2 feet outside of my bathroom window.

Nothing creepier than going to the cabinet for my medicine and seeing one bird bouncing on top of the other in the gutter. Plus they sit on the peak of our kid's playground set and poop all over it. I wish they'd find another yard to nest in.

Turn those fornicators's offspring into squab. The parents will leave and never come back.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
Nice Dove, I have something a little bigger in my back yard.
DSC00323.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back