Curious, Did Purolater Ever Fix The Tearing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol ok I saw that guys post saying he ran them 20K and it was annoying the stuff out of me so I looked it up again to make sure I was right personally never seen a filter advertised for anything over 15k I guess some people like filtering through a brick

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
there never was an issue in the first place. search this forum for the multiple threads in said topic.

This is patently false. When a Purolator / Bosch user performs a filter post mortem within regular service limits and finds torn media this is a complete failure and is considered an issue.

This is back!

Ill admit I am still undecided on MC/ Mopar filters though. Not many failures in comparison to the Classic/ P1, but I am still skeptical.

Might give them another try in 6 months or so, but they definitely don't seem up to the task in something that is short tripped during the colder months. (Excess moisture.)

Originally Posted By: NJC
there never was an issue in the first place. search this forum for the multiple threads in said topic.

This is patently false. When a Purolator / Bosch user performs a filter post mortem within regular service limits and finds torn media this is a complete failure and is considered an issue.

when an unqualified amateur cuts open an oil filter they are left with a hot mess to clean up and no legal recourse.

Originally Posted By: NJC

when an unqualified amateur cuts open an oil filter they are left with a hot mess to clean up and no legal recourse.

This board is chalked full of intelligent and professional folks, so "unqualified amatuers" is disingenuous.

I haven't cut open Purolators but have cut the Bosch Premiums which come out of the same Fayetteville plant. I'm concerned when I see torn media and also weak media. Something is not right with the integrity as it easily tears.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
its ok, some folks just keep playing dodgeball after they are hit...

LOL, special for sure

Really? What makes you think that Purolator would do anything about it? There have been a few people send filters (uncut) to Purolator and for the most part Purolator blew them off stating garbage that is in direct contradiction of their marketing and warranty information. I have cut open more than my share of filters and there is nothing special about the process provided you have an appropriate cutter and for you to continue to suggest that special training is required is one of the most laughable statements that I have seen on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Really? What makes you think that Purolator would do anything about it? There have been a few people send filters (uncut) to Purolator and for the most part Purolator blew them off stating garbage that is in direct contradiction of their marketing and warranty information. I have cut open more than my share of filters and there is nothing special about the process provided you have an appropriate cutter and for you to continue to suggest that special training is required is one of the most laughable statements that I have seen on BITOG.

You can chase your tail all day long and foam at the mouth, the amounts to nothing. Sure, I like to dismantle engines to diagnose what might have gone wrong, but do I expect anyone to warranty the failed bearing after I couldn't prove that I didnt wack the connecting rod bolts removing it?

The sad conundrum that you, and others need to accept is that buying and using an oil filter is purely a faith matter. I do not argue and kindheartedly agree that sending it to the manufacturer is stupid and would probably amount to nothing. However, I am also a realist, and you should just agree with me and nod your head.

Last edited:
You can chase your tail all day long and foam at the mouth, the amounts to nothing. Sure, I like to dismantle engines to diagnose what might have gone wrong, but do I expect anyone to warranty the failed bearing after I couldn't prove that I didnt wack the connecting rod bolts removing it?

The sad conundrum that you, and others need to accept is that buying and using an oil filter is purely a faith matter. I do not argue and kindheartedly agree that sending it to the manufacturer is stupid and would probably amount to nothing. However, I am also a realist, and you should just agree with me and nod your head.
There is no tail chasing or mouth foaming happening on my part. There are also no conundrums either--I stopped using Purolator oil filters. Problem solved.

I've only used Classics and Pure Ones for the last 30 years...no make it 40...and have cut open every single one ( even three that I didn't use because they were the wrong size ) without a single media tear and just the oily goodness that can't be mailed to Purolator. My use of a diamond blade saw gives it legitimacy to the OEM but they continue to advise me that it doesn't replicate the special skill set used in their testing so my positive product reviews can't be entered into evidence in court or even for promotional purposes.

I made the decision to start my own Excel spreadsheet that currently has 14674 ( yeeaah...that's it ) oil enthusiasts with the requisite diamond blade saws and it appears that the "failure" rate is quite low at < 1% which is the expected industry standard. I also have spreadsheets with other filters made by Champion, Hastings, etc. that have similar numbers even though I've never used them...just sawed them. I've been advised by some here that this might be too inflammatory because it's felt that Excel spreadsheets are what makes it legitimate and not an industrial test with a lot sample of 20,000 units for each filter versus similar filters. I bow to the alter of "me too" anecdotalism versus sample size and scientific method in relation to competing products. I stopped using Wix filters because the end cap came off of one so problem solved...no more Wix...and no more truth. As we'll likely never know the truth, I'll defer to these posters and just accept that this thread will be reincarnated more times than an Indian mystic with the same end result. Oh yeah, Purolator did fix the Classics awhile back.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
I've only used Classics and Pure Ones for the last 30 years...no make it 40...and have cut open every single one ( even three that I didn't use because they were the wrong size ) without a single media tear and just the oily goodness that can't be mailed to Purolator. My use of a diamond blade saw gives it legitimacy to the OEM but they continue to advise me that it doesn't replicate the special skill set used in their testing so my positive product reviews can't be entered into evidence in court or even for promotional purposes.

I made the decision to start my own Excel spreadsheet that currently has 14674 ( yeeaah...that's it ) oil enthusiasts with the requisite diamond blade saws and it appears that the "failure" rate is quite low at < 1% which is the expected industry standard. I also have spreadsheets with other filters made by Champion, Hastings, etc. that have similar numbers even though I've never used them...just sawed them. I've been advised by some here that this might be too inflammatory because it's felt that Excel spreadsheets are what makes it legitimate and not an industrial test with a lot sample of 20,000 units for each filter versus similar filters. I bow to the alter of "me too" anecdotalism versus sample size and scientific method in relation to competing products. I stopped using Wix filters because the end cap came off of one so problem solved...no more Wix...and no more truth. As we'll likely never know the truth, I'll defer to these posters and just accept that this thread will be reincarnated more times than an Indian mystic with the same end result. Oh yeah, Purolator did fix the Classics awhile back.
smile.gif

I feel like I could have a nice scotch or cigar with you. Cheers.

However, I am also a realist, and you should just agree with me and nod your head.

LOL! That is funny - but most of us are shaking our head at you, not nodding!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
There is no tail chasing or mouth foaming happening on my part. There are also no conundrums either--I stopped using Purolator oil filters. Problem solved.

Exactly!

Last edited:
I feel like I could have a nice scotch or cigar with you. Cheers.

Aaaaah, a Kumbaya moment.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

smile.gif

Does your spreadsheet also include the 60 failures reported here over the last year? Don't you think 60 failures reported in a short time with a small sample source is a flag raiser? Oh yeah, I forgot ... everyone here doesn't know how to cut open oil filters without destroying the media ... LoL.

I listen to every ones opinions. But we won't take any chances with them and most other engine shops that come to our meetings stopped using them also. It's a shame those were my go to oil filters. Now it's the jobber wix. will be ordering another 250 next month. (we have a buying group of a couple of shops. This time i have to get paid first...lol
We get them dirt cheap

I just cut open 3 that didn't have any tearing issues but ADBV had failed.

But I've moved to FU. The wire back media removes all concerns. And the FU is cheaper than the Purolator synthetic filter...I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back