Changing Fram Ultra every other oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Mazda2 1.5l sewing maching engine, manual trans, 80k on the clock. I am planning on maintaining the Mazda recommended 7500 mile oci, but keeping the Fram Ultra on for 15k miles. Anyone have thoughts?

Every other oil change will be quicker and cleaner.
smile.gif

I'm doing the same on my 4.6L F-150. It's a bear to get to with the 4X4 suspension. It'll be on there for a few years most likely. Bought the truck new and cared for it. The head is spotless, not even a light coat of varnish when looking through the oil fill. So I don't anticipate any issues.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I'm doing the same on my 4.6L F-150. It's a bear to get to with the 4X4 suspension. It'll be on there for a few years most likely. Bought the truck new and cared for it. The head is spotless, not even a light coat of varnish when looking through the oil fill. So I don't anticipate any issues.

Whimsey

While the wire-back media will most certainly help for long intervals, however a few years seems a little excessive. I would be worried the media would begin to soften too much and begin to disintegrate. Then again, I also worry way too much.

Originally Posted By: micmac
I can't see a downside. I am very easy on the little Mazda. I drive ~20k miles per year.

Since you drive up to 20k mostly highway miles a year (60 miles a day in other post) and you plan to use synthetic oil the easiest oil change interval is 10k miles 6 month.

Synthetic oil and Fram Ultra can easily handle it with your easy driving style.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
It's rated for 15k and the ones I've seen cut open look like they can easily handle it.
Actually is is claimed UP TO 15,000 miles a big difference

If I resisted the urge to be cheap, I wouldn't be driving 65 miles a day in a 5 year old Mazda2 with 100hp 1.5l engine getting 42 mpg. But I am cheap. I am buying Pennzoil Platinum because it looks like a very good oil, and it is also the cheapest 5qt jug available in my little backwater town.

Pretty much any oil filter can go double. Ive had csrs in the 1980s recommend changing the filter every other oil change. Nothing special with oil and filter media back then. Filter size was a bit bigger than now.

If it is a screw on filter, upsize and go 15k.

yeah, the Honda 1.8l engine's filter in a lot longer and fits just fine. Fram pn 7317 vs 6607. I have considered using that instead. I don't imagine I will load the standard filter's media in 15k miles, but i cannot see a downside to the larger filter.

I am definitely becoming a believer in using the filter twice, both for economic reasons, and performance.

Performance-wise, a loaded filter supposedly filters better, just as a loaded furnace filter does.

And if you happen to believe that dry starts on a new filter are harmful, you're avoiding one by skipping the change.

Plus convenience. I have an oil extractor, so getting the oil out is fast and painless. The filter is a little more work.

I've been doing 10k synthetic OCI's with purolator classic and p1's for some years. Just put on an Ultra and will do one year (15-20k) with an oil extractor and 10k OCI's. 19 year old v6 tacoma and 265k. Runs real good.

It seems like a good filter im sure that would be fine and maybe even better (less dry starts) I only tried one and so far it seems good. They say it flows well but i can't be so sure, As for keeping the oil clean i am impressed... I will be cutting it open after the second or possibly third oci.. Its on a friends v6 escape and next month i will be changing just the oil and putting in 5w30 pennzoil instead of the 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back