'14 Kymco Agility 50 or '06 Honda Elite 80...???'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was involved in an accident with a car on my '09 Suzuki GZ250 over the weekend...I'm ok thanks to the crash bar (engine guard) but the bike is moderately damaged and is very likely gonna be totaled after appraisal/adjustment process; this isn't gonna leave me with a pot of gold but I am eyeballing ads for 2 scooters in my area that I should be able to afford...

'14 Kymco Agility 50 with 600 miles at a local dealer for $1100 (49.5cc 4-stroke) and '06 Honda Elite 80 with @ 1500 miles thru a private seller for $1189 (80cc 4-stroke) -- new battery, oil change, air filter, on the Elite

anyone got any feedback on which would be a better purchase? thanks

Last edited:
I would go with the Honda. My mom had one in the 80s and between her and my brother racked up 60k. Those things just go. I still see it from time to time

I think that the Kymco Agility 50 have more handling ability than the old-fashioned Honda Elite, and you will have a larger parts, mods, and tyres choice with it (cheaper repairs too, I think).

But if you really need this extra power, lean toward the Elite 80 (less mpg too !)

I've got a 89 Honda Elite 150. Love the thing, but don't ride it as much as I used to. It still starts right up, even after sitting for a while.

I vote Honda due to higher quality parts and assembly in addition to the better resale value once you save up enough money for a nicer ride.

Honda for sure. My friend has a Kymco and the quality is not so great.
It has some neat features like digital speedo and power mirrors that fold in but always in the shop it seems like every 1,000 miles something else breaks.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
where exactly do you get parts for a kymco at?

From a kymco dealer http://www.kymcousa.com/dealers/index.aspx

I don't believe I would bother with such a small 4 stroke scooter, either one of them. I have a Kymco 50cc 2 stroke that runs pretty strong, but for 4 strokes I would consider 100cc a minimum acceptable displacement.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: sunruh
where exactly do you get parts for a kymco at?

From a kymco dealer http://www.kymcousa.com/dealers/index.aspx

I don't believe I would bother with such a small 4 stroke scooter, either one of them. I have a Kymco 50cc 2 stroke that runs pretty strong, but for 4 strokes I would consider 100cc a minimum acceptable displacement.

under optimal circumstances I completely agree on going for a minimum of 3 digit displacement...here's the issue: the bike currently retails @ $2K per KBB and the insurance company will 'total out' or 'compensate for repairs' at 70% of current value; I do not know what pricing guide they use (KBB, NADA, or AMA black book) and whether that is 70% of retail value or wholesale value; all that being said I also have a $250 deductible ssooo...they might subtract my $250 from my 'total out value' before I receive payment which gets closer and closer to $1000 -$1250 ($1150 if they compensate at 70% of a $2K retail minus $250 deductible);

the other thing that is killing me is that I didn't opt for accessory coverage (the windshield is busted in half and the crashbar is gouged/scratched) and I might be made to keep the passenger backrest w/ cargo rack and saddlebag supports mounted since they were installed when the appraiser did her magic today; I am tempted to remove them prior to the insurance company hauling the bike (if it becomes a 'total loss');

basically at this point I have to wait for appraisal/adjustment folks to confer and give me the findings; that is when I can find out about the accessories (I feel that I can remove them since they aren't covered); the good news is my appraiser is a department supervisor with 30+ years experience and she understood my intentions to keep the bike and repair it

the exhaust would be adjusted an 'appearance allowance' for the gouge/scratch on the back edge vs replacement since it is intact and still properly mounted to the bike...that eliminates the need for a $187+ exhaust system; since the crashbar isn't part of the adjustment that takes another $150-200 off the estimate; big ticket items needing replacement are front fender, handlebars, brake lever/master cylinder and the rest would be determined with a shop inspection; the forks are intact and don't appear to bind or leak; minor stuff includes the mirrors, right hand handlebar dampener and maybe the handlebar controls (turn signals, horn, high beam switch, electrical start switch, and front brake lever sensor all work...didn't frak with the kill switch);

obviously the front wheel needs inspection and balancing (and I would opt to have the rear wheel balanced at the same time); I would also opt to have the crashbar inspected and mounting bolts torqued if it gets cleared for repairs

to summarize...if banged up bike gets totalled then my compensation dictates a small scooter or a nice payment on the loan for my big bike; c'ya!

^ This. The Shadow would make a perfectly good commuter. As to which scooter though - neither of them! A 4 stroke scooter under 125cc is borderline dangerous in traffic, they're just too slow.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Why not ride the GZ250?

Failing that, a quick look at CL in your area found dozens of div>

He was involved in an accident while riding the GZ250, and is looking for it's replacement, it would seem.

tis ok...

will ride GZ250 if insurance opts to allow repairs; the scooter will be for local commutes to and from work, errands, small shopping trips, etc; the Shadow sometimes is a bit much to deal with as a work commuter in backed up traffic with all the friggin construction that happens in my area every spring/summer/fall; as far as rides under $2K...I am under a tightening budget and won't be able to add $$$ of my own to what I recuperate if my GZ250 is totalled out; thank you!

I might have an option on a used (year unknown) Kymco People 50 2T but folks on here seem to not prefer the Kymco brand; if I had the funding available I would be looking at a Genuine Buddy 50 2T/Roughhouse 50 2T at a minimum or a Buddy 125 4T as the preferred choice;

4 stroke 50 slow as molasses.
Elite 80 is a blast from 1980 and everything rattles on them.

I have a kymco people 50 2T. It's nice , big wheels and the few parts I have purchased were very easy to find online through the many dealers.

I also have a super 8 150, much quicker but the build quality is a bit less.

I have many friends and family with genuine buddies. They are no better than a kymco . Engines and most parts are interchangeable same as any Taiwan scooter.

I'd save your money and scour craigslist like a hawk. Wait until you find a sweet deal. You definitely don't need a scooter immediately .

I see 2 kymco people 150's on your craigslist for 1300 I'd go with one of those and give them 1000

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I might have an option on a used (year unknown) Kymco People 50 2T but folks on here seem to not prefer the Kymco brand

I doubt that anyone on here who has "not preferred" the Kymco brand really has any experience with the brand. I, for one, do. Good little bike. Real dealer network and parts availability, Kymco isn't a flea market brand.
BMW has selected Kymco to manufacture engines for them on a couple occasions, that is a pretty fair endorsement.

I would entertain the People 50 2T, if the price was right.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
I might have an option on a used (year unknown) Kymco People 50 2T but folks on here seem to not prefer the Kymco brand

I doubt that anyone on here who has "not preferred" the Kymco brand really has any experience with the brand.

I'm around and ride scooters in the NHRA pits, all the time. The Kymco is viewed as a cheap, and not nearly as reliable alternative to Honda's, Suzuki's, and Yamaha's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back