Amsoil signature vs European?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering running amsoil in my Audi s4 2.7 twin turbo. I'm wondering which formula is better? Why? And how is the quality of amsoil? I've searched but can't seem to find much on a 2.7t and either of these oils, don't know if that's good or bad. Currently in running Mobil 0w-40, in having slight consumption issues so I'm wanting to switch. The price doesn't bother me and I've heard good things about amsoil.

The quality is bar-none. Most people's issue with Amsoil is that the cost of it doesn't produce enough benefits to justify that cost, and for the most part, they're correct. Mobil is an excellent oil, right up there with Amsoil. However, even though I know this, I run Amsoil most of the time. Why? Because even though the benefits maybe be small, they're still benefits.

I think Amsoil Signature Series 0w-40 would be a fine option. But I also have zero knowledge on there European formulations or what differentiates them. Maybe Pablo will jump in and give some insight.

How many miles on the engine? You can't get much thicker than a 40 weight oil. Maybe a 5w or a 10w would help, I think I've read around here it's more shear stable. I would also look for an oil with a good NOACK.

Last edited:
Im still unsure of what specs I want to look for. I know for turbo applications like mine, higher flashpoint is better. My car is currently stock. May see a stage 1 tune soon but won't be for a bit. I do occasionally get on it but have yet to run it to redline.

Also I live in ny. So I was thinking of either 0w-40 all year or 5w-40 summer and 0w-40 in winter.

It's not that I don't like the Mobil im running. Other than consumption I can't really complain. Haven't noticed any noises etc. no problems starting. Just wanting to try something else and see if the consumption will go down and see what other differences I may find.

Looking at their MSDS for 0w-40 SS, it shows 10-30% hydro treated oil which is probably used as the additive carrier. I would assume the rest is a group IV PAO. Now looking at the 5w-40 mid-Saps European Formula, the MSDS shows 30%-60% base oil (they list a CAS number that is the same hydrotreated oil as in the 0w-40 SS). So they both could possibly have the same amount of group III oil (30%) or the 0w-40 could only have 10% while the 5w-40 could be 60% group III. Ultimately both would work fine but the SS is looks to be equal at worst and possibly better.

If it were my money I'd use the easily found and significantly cheaper German Castrol 0w-40.

Last edited:
I've read good things about gc. But wanted to hear what people had to say on amsoil. I may go with gc or even rotella because of how available and cheap but I may even go amsoil if so

They're all good oils, although I'd consider Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage if your goal is to reduce consumption.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I know I'm starting a war here but what about royal purple Api or hps

Oh boy.
36.gif

Im still unsure of what specs I want to look for. I know for turbo applications like mine, higher flashpoint is better. My car is currently stock. May see a stage 1 tune soon but won't be for a bit. I do occasionally get on it but have yet to run it to redline.

Amsoil website says you can run the EFM full SAPS or the AFL Mid SAPS. The cheaper Full Saps would be fine for an '02.

However, IMHO M1 0-40 is a better oil than EFM even though they meet similar specs, is less expensive, and available every where.

As far as specs, the oil should be ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 and meet
VW 502.00 or 505.00. Most oils of this type also meet BMW LL-01 and
MB 229.5.

Amsoil SS oils are not rated for ACEA use even though the 0w-40 might be fine. M1 0w-40 is as thin a 40 grade oil you will find and is what that engine calls for.

Last edited:
I'm afraid to run something that thick lol

10w40 is the same thickness as 0w40, except at extreme cold temperatures.

That said, I kinda consider 10w40 an obsolete grade for the most part, and probably wouldnt' run it without first trying other 0w40 oils.

I've been a little curious about the Amsoil Signature 0w40 myself, since its one of the few oils besides Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 that technically meets all the specs for my SRT (even though the only "missing" spec for the others is a pretty silly long-term taxi fleet test).

As for Royal Purple- I like their products (unlike some here), and find their helpline helpful and knowledgeable. But they don't make HPS in 0w40, and IMO the API 0w40 is comparable to M1 but more expensive. Not sure I'd go there except to "check the box" and see if for some reason it addresses your consumption issue.

If you want to use oils approved for your Audi, M1 and Castrol 0W40 are on approved list, Amsoil of any grade is not on official Audi approved list.

If you like Amsoil enough you may want to try SS 0w-40, Amsoil says it is recommended but not approved.

Amsoil does NOT recommend their SS 0W-40 for the VW502.00 spec, so I would not use it in your 2.7t. Just stick with the M1 for a few change intervals and the consumption will go down.

Maybe you're not driving it hard enough to keep the rings from sticking and the PCV system operating properly. Drive it like the engineers designed it to be driven and it might help.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
They're all good oils, although I'd consider Mobil 1 10w-40 High Mileage if your goal is to reduce consumption.
I'm afraid to run something that thick lol

0w-40 HTHS Viscosity 3.8
10w-40 HTHS Viscosity 3.9

The 40 number designates viscosity range at operating temperature. Warm weather is upon us, so the cold performance isn't significant right now. Go for it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you want to use oils approved for your Audi, M1 and Castrol 0W40 are on approved list, Amsoil of any grade is not on official Audi approved list.

If you like Amsoil enough you may want to try SS 0w-40, Amsoil says it is recommended but not approved.

Although you're technically correct, the Amsoil AFL 5W40 mid-SAPS Euro oil is fully approved (manufacturer approval) for use in Porsche A40 applications. For some reason, Amsoil has either not submitted for VW 502/505 certification or it has not been granted yet. However, since Porsche A40 spec is based upon the 502 spec, I wouldn't hesitate to use it especially if warranty is not a concern any longer.

Back to the OP, if warranty is indeed not a concern to you then you may try Shell Rotella 5W40. There was a thread recently in the Euro section discussing about how it reduced consumption in a VW.

I've read good things about gc. But wanted to hear what people had to say on amsoil. I may go with gc or even rotella because of how available and cheap but I may even go amsoil if so

You literally want to try Amsoil to try Amsoil. Try it, you'll notice no difference over M1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-40.

I mainly want to try other things. I'm noticing one problem with Mobil and want to see if anything else will seem better and reduce the one problem I have. This car has had Mobil in it for at least 20k. And that's what I replaced the oil with and still has a consumption issue. If anyone wants to bash me for wanting to try oils then go ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back