IH 782 stuck front wheel removal-tips & tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing the tires and servicing bearings on my IH 782. One front wheel slid right off but the other is sized on the axle.

I've tried rubber and dead-blow BFH's w/ block of wood against the backside of the rim as well as hitting the inner bearing race w/ a punch...to no avail. Currently giving the inner races a good soaking of penetrating oil. Trying to avoid destroying the bearings, but that may not be possible.

Appreciate any words of wisdom or tricks... Thanks.

seized on the lugs/hub or hub seized on the spindle?

If it's on the lugs/hub, often times tapping between the lugs with a hammer can get things loosened up.

If the hub is seized on the spindle, I've had good luck with a 2 jaw puller pushing against the spindle and then walking the hub off under pressure by smacking the back side of it

Sounds like your going to end up replacing the bearings anyway, I'd give it all you got and not worry about the bearings, they shouldn't be too spendy anyway.

Iron, the wheel bearings are stuck on the spindle. I was thinking of some type of puller and the bearings are probably hopeless..luckily they are not that much. Thanks.

Sometimes putting a torch to the axles is enough to loosen up the bearing. Other times, you spend 15 bucks, get a pair of new bearings and take out your frustration out on the seized ones. I prefer the latter myself as I value my time far more than trying to save 20 year old wheel bearings on an old International built with off the shelf parts.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
.....an old International built with off the shelf parts.

But its a cool old International w off the shelf parts.

Bearings are on the way, be hammering or heating the old ones over the weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back