Mobil 1 0W20 EP, 9430 miles, 2006 Ford Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA on this car. Looks good I think. I will try for 10 or 12k next time. I drive 100 miles a day to and from work with no traffic. Should be really easy miles as 90% is 55mph and rest is 65mph. I bought it with 94k on it. The previous 2 changes were done free at the dealer with Motorcraft 5W20.

Your commuter car looks pretty good in this first report. Universal averages show typical wear after about 6,500 miles of oil use. You're wondering if you can go up to 10,000 miles between drains, and based on these results, that should be fine. Don't worry about calendar time. Modern engines are sealed up well enough due to emissions systems, so that's an old adage. Mileage will prove to be the most useful unit of measure. There was a trace of fuel here, but that's a harmless amount. Try 10,000 miles and check back to see how the engine handled it.

Code:

Mobil 1 0W20 EP

In Service from 12/1/2014 to 3/30/2015

MI/HR on Oil 9,430

MI/HR on Unit 117,786

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 3

IRON 17

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 64

NICKEL 2

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 1

BORON 42

SILICON 10

SODIUM 20

CALCIUM 1143

MAGNESIUM 630

PHOSPHORUS 560

ZINC 689

BARIUM 2

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 50.4

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.38

Flashpoint in °F 385

Fuel % TR

Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.3

Last edited by a moderator:
for your situation, this UOA seems a bit odd. It appears to have a fairly noticeable amount of fuel in the oil as seen in the viscosity and flash point.

With your driving style, I'd be concerned this oil didn't stay near VOA viscosity. Maybe you have some dirty injectors or something causing this.

The viscosity is a non issue. I'd run a bottle of Chevron Techron, continue to use the Mobil 1 0w20. What you DON'T want is thickening from oxidation. Most 0w20's drop into the 7+ cSt range and that is by design.

The Na is a tad high. Is Motorcraft using Na these days???

Mobil 1 0w20 is a majority PAO/Group IV base oil. It's not going to "shear".

Originally Posted By: buster
The viscosity is a non issue. I'd run a bottle of Chevron Techron, continue to use the Mobil 1 0w20. What you DON'T want is thickening from oxidation. Most 0w20's drop into the 7+ cSt range and that is by design.

The Na is a tad high. Is Motorcraft using Na these days???

Mobil 1 0w20 is a majority PAO/Group IV base oil. It's not going to "shear".

The "drop" comment is a false assumption. They don't drop in viscosity in my vehicles and many others when fuel isn't present.

It's not a false assumption. Many 0w20 and 30's will drop down a cSt, especially if fuel is present. It's extremely common.

Originally Posted By: buster
It's not a false assumption. Many 0w20 and 30's will drop down a cSt, especially if fuel is present. It's extremely common.

Yes, but they are not designed to do so. That is the result of getting fuel in the oil, not a result of design. If it was designed to thin it would do so without the fuel in the oil.

You sure this is EP and not AFE? Low Zinc and Phosphorus looks like AFE.

TBN would be useful for determining how long to run it.

But the UOA looks great!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
1000 miles a week commute? Wow!

About 500. 50 miles 1 way, but no traffic.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
You sure this is EP and not AFE? Low Zinc and Phosphorus looks like AFE.

TBN would be useful for determining how long to run it.

But the UOA looks great!

It is definitely the EP version unless they put the wrong stuff in the bottle.

It only showed a trace of fuel so I am not that worried. The oil was in use during MN winter with temps reaching -20 some mornings and evenings which could maybe explain a little fuel. The oil didn't smell like fuel, so there couldn't have been that much in there.

Last edited:
Your driving is very easy on the high quality oil. During summer months I suggest a 15,000 OCI and 10,000 during the winter months. Just keep checking the oil level.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
Your driving is very easy on the high quality oil. During summer months I suggest a 15,000 OCI and 10,000 during the winter months. Just keep checking the oil level.

+1 As long as you keep it topped off, you should be good for 15k even in the winter. At your rate, that only around 7 months. Very solid UOA - good post.

Last edited:
I was surprised that it didn't use any oil over that many miles. It was right on the full mark the whole OCI. These must be decent engines. I wish it got a little better MPG, but 32-34 in warmer weather isn't too bad. Drops to 28 to 30 in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back