Pennzoil Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a Mazda2 for commuting. I am about to do my first oil change, and have been doing a little research on which oil to use. I went to Pennzoil's site, and found their recommendation unusual. Normally, they will give you good better best options. In my case, they said to only use PP. I would expect Ultra Plat to work just fine. Can anyone think of a reason they wouldn't try to up-sell me?

I drive the car 65 miles per day, 60 miles of which is freeway. The car has 80k miles on the clock currently.

PP, Pennzoil Platinum correct? I'm pretty sure your Mazda2 requires 0w20, right? If that is the only 0w20 oil they offer then that is all they have to ofer..

Same spec, makes no difference. Buy your fave syn of the month and change at 7k +/-.
MORE important: Use factory (or better?) filter,

Last edited:
Yes, 0W20 is factory spec oil. I am going to use 0W20 and the Fram Ultra filter. The original owner used factory filter and 0W20 Castrol and changed every 3k miles until a UOA convinced him to go to 5k mile intervals. Blackstone told him the oil would go 8-10k based on a 5k UOA, but he never extended his oci. I am planning on using Pennzoil Platinum (PP) but was curious why they would not try to get me into a more expensive product like the 0W20 Ultra Platinum.

I guess my question is why do you think it would warrant Ultra Platinum vs. PP?? or why are you expecting an up sell for a small 1.5 liter engine?? I use 5w-20 PP in my 1.6 liter DI commuter module. For giggles I used the "recommend" feature once and they recommended PP with the option of using Ultra Platinum. Personally, that would be my expectation versus the reverse.

I'm sure PP is overkill actually. I never go over 2000 rpm until the engine is warm. I drive 60 on the freeway. I rarely drive around town. I was just curious that Ultra wasn't listed as an option. I might consider ultra to extend my oci, but no real plans at the moment. We will see what a UOA on PP looks like at 7500 miles, which is the Mazda recommendation.

My guess is that their database isn't completely up to date. I clicked through a few other vehicles (mostly Hondas and Toyotas since I'm more familiar) and none of the vehicles that spec 0W20 showed any other option other than Platinum.

I went back to my older 2007 Element that specifies 5W20 and there it does show PYB, PP, PUP as options. Also, in that linup, the Platinum was "Recommended", the Ultra Platinum was labeled as "Premium Performance", and the PYB "Meets Requirements"

Yeah, sometimes I think that buying ANY oil is overkill when there's only a five dollar spread between conventional and PP at my local WalMart so why not "splurge". IMO, five or six bucks over a 7500 mile OCI is worth trying it out. You obviously might feel differently if there's a greater price spread and you don't feel ( or have ) the need for synthetic oil in a car that's not particular.

Originally Posted By: micmac
I just bought a Mazda2 for commuting. I am about to do my first oil change, and have been doing a little research on which oil to use. I went to Pennzoil's site, and found their recommendation unusual. Normally, they will give you good better best options. In my case, they said to only use PP. I would expect Ultra Plat to work just fine. Can anyone think of a reason they wouldn't try to up-sell me?

I drive the car 65 miles per day, 60 miles of which is freeway. The car has 80k miles on the clock currently.

They just have not updated their information in a long time. I dont think they added Pennzoil ultra to their query, the newest Mitsubishi lancer you can select in 2012. I have tried a lot of other cars that require 0w20 and they never list PU 0-20 I can say my 2013 Lancer loves PU 0W-20. It does better in my Lancer than M1 0w-20 XP. Use PU and let your engine enjoy the koolaid.

I believe that is likely the answer. Ultra 0w20 is relatively new. I have yet to see it on the shelf.

Its available on amazon in

a 6 quart case (6x1)
a 5 Qt Jug
or a case of 3 5 quart jugs

Oddly, I asked for it at a local jiffy lube and they told me it didn't exist.

Yes, 0W20 is factory spec oil. I am going to use 0W20 and the Fram Ultra filter. The original owner used factory filter and 0W20 Castrol and changed every 3k miles until a UOA convinced him to go to 5k mile intervals. Blackstone told him the oil would go 8-10k based on a 5k UOA, but he never extended his oci. I am planning on using Pennzoil Platinum (PP) but was curious why they would not try to get me into a more expensive product like the 0W20 Ultra Platinum.

So if you know exactly what the previous owner was using, and that it was giving him great results, why the [censored] would you change it?

Because I would rather run Pennzoil
laugh.gif
I'm sure the Castrol would be just fine.

Because I would rather run Pennzoil
laugh.gif
I'm sure the Castrol would be just fine.

Just curious, why is that?
smile.gif

We would need the model year of your Mazda2 so we can recommend the correct motor oil viscosity, Micmac. However, you are correct - there is no reason why you couldn't (or shouldn't) use the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (in the proper viscosity) in your engine, if you are wanting to go with a full synthetic motor oil.

To address the website, it can sometimes be a little quirky. You have our assurance that you can't go wrong with using either Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in your Mazda 2. Feel free to message us with any additional questions - The Pennzoil Team

I'd go with the M1EP 0w-20 (or PUP 0w-20 if you can find it) and a Fram ultra filter and change it every 15K or so. Mobil has a $12 rebate now bring the $26.88 jug (Amazon) to $15. Your driving habits are as easy on oil as it gets so you shouldn't have any issues.

Originally Posted By: NO2
I'd go with the M1EP 0w-20 (or PUP 0w-20 if you can find it) and a Fram ultra filter and change it every 15K or so. Mobil has a $12 rebate now bring the $26.88 jug (Amazon) to $15. Your driving habits are as easy on oil as it gets so you shouldn't have any issues.

+1

I wonder why Mazda specs 0W-X standard? Isn't this usually reserved for uber-low temp climes? Borderline pumpability temp of 5W synthetic is plenty good enough for 99% of the occupied planet geography without resorting to spiking more VI Improver in a 0W syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back