Changing In-Line ATF Filter on 2009 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a bit of advice from anyone who's done this....this is the filter that sits on top of the tranny, behind the battery.

I have a new genuine Honda filter in my garage. But I had the devil of a time getting the hoses off the filter. It's a little tight back there, which doesn't help. I was able to get the hose clamps pulled back, but couldn't pull the hoses off the filter!! The hoses don't have a lot of extra play in them, but I couldn't really get aggressive.

My Honda has 60k miles on it. It's had 2 complete fluid exchanges already, so I'm ready to change the filter and do another complete exhange, and then settle into a "regular" maintenance schedule after that.

If it helps you any (and this won't), mine is original on my 2005 CR-V with 217k miles after 10 years.
I looked where it was and said forget about changing it.

I did this on my sisters Civic, sounds like the same thing in the same spot. I had the same issue, it was all "floppy" and there was nothing I could get a grip on and pull the hose.
I finally got a blunt-tip dental tool and slid it around the filter/pipe interface to try to break the seal. I did eventually get it, but there was a lot of zen to get there. Just be patient and resist the urge to HULK SMASH the thing.
Good luck.

Some say those are only there to catch anything that may of got into the trans during assembly.

After that, if it starts trapping anything else, the trans is shot anyways.

i changed mine last year, 2008 accord 2.4l auto. was very straight forward, make sure to spin the hoses with some kind of pliers to break them loose from the filter nipples , makes it a lot easier to remove.

FSM for 2007 Civic says to remove banjo bolts and use new washers at fittings first. Cannot see why and that is even more difficult in a very inaccessible area. I have a new filter but have never replaced. Any more hints to ease the pain?

Last edited:
When I did one on an 05 accord, I removed the air intake hose and I think the air box. A few minutes to get this stuff out of the way is worth it. Then I think you unbolt the clamp that holds the filter, slide the hose clamps away from the filter and twist the hoses with some pliers to loosen them up then pull it off. Put some paper towels under the filter to catch the drips.

Maybe you need to slide the hose clamps further? Also a wide blade flat screwdriver can be helpful to pry hose ends away from the filter body to get them moving. Use some tape or a rag on the jaws of the pliers so you don't tear up the hose.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Would a 2010 Accord 2.4L have the same filter?
Is 60,000 miles a good time to change an original?
Cheers, Kira

Kira,

I have a 2010 Accord LX with the 2.4L....so yes, your car will have this filter. Mine does. LOL!!

My car is also at 60k miles as well. I bought mine from Amazon. I think it was like $25 for the genuine Honda filter.

^I'll be doing this soon for my new to me '07 Fit Sport's A/T with 160k miles and who knows what kind of A/T service until now. Shifts okay, but could still have factory fill of what is likely Z1 fluid...
37.gif

NOTE: Carfax report mentioned an AAMCO visit 10k miles ago.
27.gif
Who knows what they did.

So, my plan was to flush system and convert to entire new/fresh DW1 and then change the in-line filter under the battery tray/remove the intake air box as well after a couple fill ups for any cleaning/bits to go out with the old filter (worst case scenario). Gentle driving post-flush ofc.
smile.gif

I 'also' will be buying the Honda Genuine Transmission filter from Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

Dealer wanted $13 more and had to get it order anyway. lol.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I 'also' will be buying the Honda Genuine Transmission filter from Amazon.
thumbsup2.gif

Dealer wanted $13 more and had to get it order anyway. lol.

Amazon works when the part is available there. In the future check out Majestic, Bernardi, and Oemacuraparts for truly discounted genuine dealer Honda parts. The breakapart diagrams and links to the service manual excerpts on these sites are also very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back