Who Makes Motorcraft Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Efficiency numbers don't mean much to me in the real world. It's fun from an academic point of view but at what point is a particle large enough to harm an engine? As long as the filter is working at or above the point at which a certain size particle would cause harm then the filter's real world operating efficiency for protection of the engine is 100%

I guess what I'm doing a bad job at saying is as long as a filter gets the particles that can do damage out of the engine who cares if smaller ones that don't cause harm get through? Honda is known to make outstanding cars overall and their filter performed the worst in the above test. If it was an issue at that efficiency and particle size wouldn't Honda make a change? Would their reliability results be above average if their filtration wasn't proper? Can anyone prove with a real test that say a new Honda Accord from day one using Honda filters and brand x oil compared to the same model from day one using an Amsoil filter and brand x oil that the filter choice will make a difference in the life of the car?

Last edited:
Honda also spec's a filter for two OCI's and they use small filters. I wonder if that, and the lower efficiency are related?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
They are made to Ford specification by Purolator and based upon testing of the FL-820s media by Amsoil, it would seem the MC media (93.7% efficiency) falls below a Purolator Classic (~97%) and a P1 (~99%).

Those numbers mean absolutely nothing unless they are in context with a certain size particulate. Of course they mean little anyway without a report summarizing the result, or links to manufacturer websites with the results.

EAO_efficiency_900.jpg

Everyone thinks this test was done by Amsoil to make their product look good and a few people here refuse to believe the poor efficiency of the Toyota filters. Not that it's bad or anything.. people just refuse to believe it.

Funny how ALL the filter comparisons were OEM filters vs. 1 after market filter. Had the P1/ PuroSyn, WIX and TG/ Ultra be on it, Amsoil wouldn't have looked too superior.

Quote:
...Funny how ALL the filter comparisons were OEM filters vs. 1 after market filter. Had the P1/ PuroSyn, WIX and TG/ Ultra be on it, Amsoil wouldn't have looked too superior..

True. It's marketing and for that purpose. Bigger point for me though is that some previously proprietary or vague (Motrocraft) oem efficiencies are published along with the ISO test procedure. And apparently it is accurate because it's published and still up on the Amsoil site. One would have to conclude if it wasn't accurate it would have been challenged and taken down.

And actually the Motorcraft, ACDelco, and Mopar efficiencies are quite respectable. Seems to me if not accurate those would have looked much lower in comparison. The Toyota Denso ISO test confirmed what river rat found in his testing even prior to the Amsoil ISO test. There's another of the Mitsubishi oem no endcap type on a the EVO forum showing similar results. It seems no endcap type filters are, relatively speaking, inefficient.

If that last point matters, is another discussion.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The Toyota Denso ISO test confirmed what river rat found in his testing even prior to the Amsoil ISO test. There's another of the Mitsubishi oem no endcap type on a the EVO forum showing similar results. It seems no endcap type filters are, relatively speaking, inefficient.

I'm wondering of maybe those "no end cap" designs might not seal 100% on every pleat end. If the filter has 50 pleats, that's 100 locations where a possible leak could occur if manufacturing wasn't perfect. Or else the media just isn't that efficient. Either way, I stopped using the Toyota Denso filters on my Tacoma after finding out they weren't very efficient since there were plenty out there that are.

The WIX filter for my moms 4Runner doesnt have end caps either. It does come with a little plastic piece that seats into the filter as well as a smaller O ring. I haven't changed the oil in it yet so its hard to say how it works. I am tinking about running either WIX, Extra Guard or TG depending on my mood.

The Fram cartridge for the GF's Volvo doesnt have end caps either, but I dont think that would be an issue because it seats firmly inside the housing with no play whatsoever in the center tube. The media would have to be firmly glued of course though.. The only reason I am not using these is they are about 3x the price of OEM at AAP.

Ill have to look them over again.

To be clear, the no endcaps referenced in the Amsoil test and discussed, are 'specifically for spin on filters', not cartridges. This would be as opposed to either metal or fiber end caps used in the vast majority of spin-on/canister type filters.

Toyota uses/specs a similar no endcap type 'cartridge' design for it's vehicles now. And it seems all the aftermarkets (including Wix and others) have decided for the(Toyota) application to also adopt that design. Not so with spin on filters for Toyota, the aftermarkets use their own endcap design. So cartridges are different from spin-on in that respect. And seeing as cartridges of different types were not tested here, that's another topic.

I didn't imply or speculate on causation for the spin-on end cap type results, just that Amsoil, river rat and the Evo/Mitsu oem no end cap type efficiency all showed similar results. It is interesting though that the Honda A02 filter with fiber end caps, is only somewhat higher and still relatively inefficient.

The Fram CH/TG 10158 has end caps for those skeptical of the no end cap design. I think filter is still fairly new so choices are somewhat limited.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Also, the ByPass Valve is the FORD prefered design as the BPV is at the bottom instead of the top of the filter...
To be clear, the BPV is at the threaded end, which is Ford's preferred location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back