Every Brand Mix Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity.

Say for a 5qt sump...
Has anyone ran something like this and done a UOA? Did the engine explode?
1qt Quaker State
1qt Valvoline
1qt Castrol
1qt Pennzoil
1qt Mobil

crazy.gif

I did similar by mixing leftovers,
Equal parts of;
Redline 5w30
Millers Nano 10w40
Gulf Competition 5w40
Some or other 505.01 5w40
M1 0w40

Ran for 5k with no issues, motor is still happy today on a diet of pure Redline.

Yes, I call it "orphan blend" which is a compilation of all of the left over "orphan" partial quarts of any oil on the shelf.

Note: There is also "clearance blend" when your store doesn't have enough of one brand on clearance for your OCI but does have several red tagged dusty quarts of 10w40 sitting on the clearance shelf as well. So you need 7 quarts of 5w30? You get 5 quarts of 5w30 and 2 quarts of 10w40 and you have "clearance blend"!! never a problem.
13.gif

Last edited:
I frankenbrew'd the last winter OCI in my moms Elantra. Didnt have any starting issues either if that matters.

It called for 5w20, but basically anything else except 20w50 can be used as a substitute.

PP 5w20
PYB 10w30
M1 5w30
QSGB 5w30
Castrol Synblend 5w30

The sump held right under 5 quarts so many of these were partial quarts with the exception of the PP and M1.

I did a mix of leftovers on a 2013 2.5 Passat in Nov of last year, from which I knew the car was going to be bought back by VW because its a lemon.
Talk about throw out the VW spec out the window... I ran the oil 12,000kms and left it in there when I returned the POS. I really hated this car.

The mix incuded some of each to full sump capacity
Valvoline White bottle 10W30
Motomaster Supreme 5W30
Mobil 1000 5W30

Engine ran ok with it and I never had to top up dispite really beating the [censored] out of it...even through our last cold winter of continuous -30C, started up and ran fine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I frankenbrew'd the last winter OCI in my moms Elantra. Didnt have any starting issues either if that matters.

It called for 5w20, but basically anything else except 20w50 can be used as a substitute.

PP 5w20
PYB 10w30
M1 5w30
QSGB 5w30
Castrol Synblend 5w30

The sump held right under 5 quarts so many of these were partial quarts with the exception of the PP and M1.

Not true: I have done an "orphan blend" with a quart of Harley HD360 20w50 with PYB 5w30. It's a very "quiet" blend. I have also used Mercury Quicksilver 25w40 too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
If your criteria is no blowups, you can do nearly anything...

What do you mean....you guys are the "Kings of 20w50"

Get really brave and do a PQIA greatest hits blend:

City Star
Bullseye
Everclear
Maxiguard
Liberty Gold

Last edited:
A_Harman, I don't feel I'm going out on a limb when I say that it's highly likely that the individuals in your cocktail actually meet the requirements of ASTMD6922, the "miscibility" standard.

Originally Posted By: Thugzy
Has anyone ran something like this and done a UOA? Did the engine explode?

What would a UOA tell you aside from whether or not the lubricant was suitable for continued use? It'll simply tell you if it sheared out of grade and give you the TBN. The average UOA won't even tell you KV40, let alone HTHS of such a brew after use. We all know it won't tell you how well the blend lubricated anything, right?

I don't have to tell you that this would be far from best practice.
I'll grant that using such a mix during the warmer months would likely do no harm at all.
People do things like this all of the time, after all.
Any increment in wear or in deposit formation would be unseen, although could be real.
Things usually work out just fine, although I'd not run a mongrel oil during the winter months.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Aren't those already blends of used oil?
wink.gif

If only they were that good. Some of those have more contaminants than the the stuff we drain out of our crankcases.

My old 89 260E MB usually gets whatever is leftover form my oil changes on my other cars. This time its getting a mix of Rotella T6, Mobil 1, and VR1.

City Star
Bullseye
Everclear
Maxiguard
Liberty Gold

Ha, good one!

I've tried the mixing and it turned out alright for the engine, but I could hear the different oils fighting at night sometimes.

City Star
Bullseye
Everclear
Maxiguard
Liberty Gold

hahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back