Same PSI yet oversized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: racer12306
I believe the 3593A also shares the thread/gasket dimensions as the 7317 and 6607. They used to be found on every Honda >10 years ago, then Honda started switching to 7317 size.

Fram 3593A is about the same size as Honda PCX-004 for S2000.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I witness my Nissan Versa Note knocking HARD in the winter with the tiny hamster sized Chinese Nissan filter. I then put on a Honda -pcx004 and the cold oil-starved knock went away. So not all filters are good - even factory units. ESP the older Nissan with almost no clearance around the cardboard end caps for oil to flow - never mind the possibly over-treated paper. Same problems a decade ago with THAI denso Toyota garbage.

Honda PCX-004 is a very filter, it is OE filter for S2000 which has redline up to 9,000 RPM (AP1). At that high RPM it needs a good oil flow and PCX-004 can handle it without problem. As of now my local dealers want $20 for it, online is about $10. Currently I use over-sized Wix and Fram Ultra XG3593A.

If Honda wanted the larger oil filter on the S2000(which they did) I would not use the Wix.
Here is a pic of my Baldwin, Honda S2000 and a Wix for the S2000. the Wix has a lot less filter than the Honda.

If I remember right, the Wix had around 1/3 less filter medium than the Honda S2000 filter.

ROD

Which Wix filter did you use ? 51334 ?

I use Wix 51347 (OD: 2.9" H: 4.8”), diameter is slight smaller but about 1.6" longer than PCX-004.

I bought Wix 51347 at O'Reilly for about $2-3 with coupon. Baldwin isn't available at any local auto parts store.

Directly comparing the surface area of different filter manufacturers is making the assumption that they have the same capacity. Since the filters almost always have different efficiency's it is safe to say they have different capacities as well. So just because a filter has more surface area doesn't mean it is better. It could be worse for holding capacity.

Hmmm. I am curious about this because of the different size of the 6607 and 7317. If both have the exact same media and yet one is 30% bigger than the other in amount of media, then how could capacities be the same? I am not saying that is right or correct here. I just need it explained how the two could be the same. Because I believe what you said could easily be the case. I just wonder how ?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hmmm. I am curious about this because of the different size of the 6607 and 7317. If both have the exact same media and yet one is 30% bigger than the other in amount of media, then how could capacities be the same? I am not saying that is right or correct here. I just need it explained how the two could be the same. Because I believe what you said could easily be the case. I just wonder how ?
smile.gif

More meadia and bigger filter?

Ahh maybe I'm wrong but physically the 7317 is bigger. I just saw one compatrd to the 6607 last night. Question I have is if its bigger than is that media bigger ? And there is no question that the 7317 is at least longer by about an inch. But is the media the same amount? Could well be same amount of media.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Even if your filter media is plugged solid you shouldn't have "hard knocking", you know that I'm sure. Oil should still flow plenty. Too thick oil, or failed adbv? I am glad you said what appeared to be pressurized oil, because I doubt it was, like you say, how can you explain that one.
I can-media was plugged, ADBV was holding pressure in between the media & the can.

You must envision pressure sealing oil pumps and rubber adbv's. I doubt that, and that the oil filter was plugged solid, which wouldn't matter anyway IMO. Oil pumps have clearance and the galleries are rigid, the pressure is going to go down right away. I would say it is a dose of imagination, something against E10, and a bunch of oil coming out of an oil filter by gravity. All the gas I have used for years has been with ethanol and no filter was plugged by it. Maybe a little frank, but that is how I see it.
API addressed the very issue of filter plugging with SN/ GF5 - Read the prelim reports online. Ive had oiling failures over and over again for no obvious reason. I sliced open my Ranger FOMOCo filter, and over 2 oz oil came squirting out over a foot. This is OFF the CAR! Ive posted photos on this forum in the past.
Then, I did research on read about E10 "slime-over" of oil filters in the API committee prelim reports at Lubrizol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
API addressed the very issue of filter plugging with SN/ GF5 - Read the prelim reports online. Ive had oiling failures over and over again for no obvious reason. I sliced open my Ranger FOMOCo filter, and over 2 oz oil came squirting out over a foot. This is OFF the CAR!

It's possible that if the media was basically 100% clogged, and the ABDV was 100% sealed, there could be some residual pressure inside the can between the can wall and media.

So why does SN/GF5 oil cause filters to clog?

API ILSAC was addressing issue with the new SN spec where previous API/ILSAC and ethanol fuel dilution of crankcase sump was causing filter clogging. I do not know the chemical mechanism involved aND IT WAS MORE AT E85 but E10can be way over 10% if the fuel stratified due to water ingress into the UGT. Read API SN prelim report at Lubrizol or API for more info.

I am in the same boat with my Mazda2. I'm going with the 7317. Can't think of a down side. Adds a thimble full of extra oil which can't hurt. Same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back