anyone know how to make a good cyl piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

anyone know how to make a good solution, for putting down the cylinders and cleaning carbon and clogged low tension oil control rings?

interesting thread on this method on e46 fanatics, "oil consumption possible solution" where people are having success using AC delco fuel system cleaner.

the material data sheet for that, here in australia lists the main intermediate at 30-60% white spirit.

anybody any ideas of what can be made up instead of buying ac delco as its not as easy to get here as in US etc.
i have access to plenty of chemicals at work (engineering plant and we have a chrome plating line too)

I understand your quest to make one, but it could be more complex than it appears. Solvents strip lubricant, you might add a little 2 cycle oil to your brew if you do it. I'd use Mercury Marine Power Tune.

PEA in the fuel and an Italian tune up could help, as could filling the bores with diesel.
Crank with plugs out and change oil afterwards.

Berryman B-12 Chemtool will loosen all of the crud in the piston lands. Allow it to soak overnight. You will need to change the oil (likely twice--once immediately after and another within 500 miles or so).

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Berryman B-12 Chemtool will loosen all of the crud in the piston lands. Allow it to soak overnight. You will need to change the oil (likely twice--once immediately after and another within 500 miles or so).

agree. i tried a few different things and this was very effective and cheap. kreen is even better but harder to get. i've heard good thing on BG109, but haven't used it. MMO is near useless for piston soaks despite what they say on saturn forums.

i always change oil after an overnight soak and some 5-10 mins idling later to clear all that smoke. that gives it an effective engine flush.

I have used B-12 with amazing success... it was a little thin though. Next time I would add some ATF to thicken it up, to allow the B-12 to say where it is needed for longer.

I have also her 50/50 ATF and acetone works wonders.

good point. i forgot to mention i did pour 5cc of ATF in each cylinder before cranking to have good compression. solvents can strip oil from cylinders creating starting problems.

Maybe some of the info I learned was outdated, sorry to pass along bad info!!

(I think I'll stick to posting shaving stuff only from now on...)

Mod: can you delete my post, worried someone might only read my post and do it, don't want to cause engine damage to readers

Last edited:
We've used MMO with great success to free up stuck rings in engines that have been sitting a long time. Tranny fluid or even a light motor oil would probably work just as well for that, though.

Search for "MolaSoke"

I have good luck with LCD20.

I would think Rislone Engine Treatment would work as well although I have not used it as a piston "soak."

I have used SeaFoam w/great success. 1.5ozs/cylinder over night.

Two Caveats:

1) Start outdoors in open area. Will smoke badly for several minutes.
2) Crank a bit before re-installing plugs to clear liquid to prevent damage.

Afterwards, run HDEO or full synthetic to keep it clean.

Here is a recipe, but I must say it was not as effective ( I tried both):

http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Can B-12 chemtool be put directly in the engine oil, if so how much?

Yes, try 1 to 2 ounces/cylinder and follow caveats above.

Last edited:
Thanks for your further input & post guys.

I liked the thread I read from molakule & his molasoke piston soak brew.

I looked up LC 20 but not sure I can get it here in oz. I'll do some more research on possible places to buy.

Hi,

I can get MMO in Adelaide where i live. ive read that it is primarily naptha, with light machine oil, and wintergreen oil.

I cannot get AC Delco Upper Engine & Fuel Inj Cleaner X66P 88861803 here in Australia. I contacted them today and they said its the second enquiry they'd received today for it. They hope to stock it by the end of the year, after its gets past msds and labelling red tape etc
frown.gif

I've also read that Subaru do an Upper Engine Cleaner that can also be used as a piston soak, anybody have any experience of this ??

any comments or any more ideas of chemicals i can use to make my own anybody, chime in molacule if your readying
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back