Bought a new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have only a reg. cab 2WD with the 4.3 but I have been averaging 22.7 with it mostly highway. Pretty good IMO.

Originally Posted By: Jim74
sigh....I just wanted to share my truck with everyone, not listen to someone rant incessantly about something they know nothing about.

I took the truck on a 300 mile trip on the highway, cruise set at 70 mph. The truck says it averaged 22 mpg. Not bad, in my opinion. My last truck ('99 f-150, 5.4L, also 4x4) would get 17 or so.

Most of us appreciate your sharing. It's a nice truck. 22 MPG out of a 4 door truck with 4x4 is pretty darn good! V6 with power and torque that rivals the v8s of 10 years ago is also nice.

Cool! So you are one of the ones that fought me in arbitration! That makes sense. Great ecotec engine by the way. Dead at 59000 miles.

Don't worry GM will turn on their own employees too. Seen that.....

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Right! You really trust GM that much?

Since I work at GM Powertrain, the answer to that question is an emphatic YES.

Last edited:
I know very well. 6 months of arbitration, I know. Just hate to see consumers get burned by big auto...

sigh....I just wanted to share my truck with everyone, not listen to someone rant incessantly about something they know nothing about.

I took the truck on a 300 mile trip on the highway, cruise set at 70 mph. The truck says it averaged 22 mpg. Not bad, in my opinion. My last truck ('99 f-150, 5.4L, also 4x4) would get 17 or so.

You are not reading my posts. I AM TALKING ABOUT THE 2014 and UP NEWER ENGINES.

Have fun in arbitration !

No...you are covering your ears and squeaking, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!" like a 4-year-old.

Are you a sock for lovcom?

22 MPG out of a 4x4 1/2 ton is great. That was unheard of a decade ago.

Glad you are enjoying the truck.

I know very well. 6 months of arbitration, I know. Just hate to see consumers get burned by big auto...

Glad I just now figured out how to mute this guy. My gawd....

So anyway, from my trip today, took back roads, cruise set at 60 mph. I am pleased.

2015-04-27%2015.34.44.jpg

Glad I just now figured out how to mute this guy. My gawd....

So anyway, from my trip today, took back roads, cruise set at 60 mph. I am pleased.

2015-04-27%2015.34.44.jpg

Jim74,

What is your secret? I have the same engine. The best I've gotten out of my non 4X4 is an even 20 mpg avg. That was on a 900 mile round trip to Florida and back. As soon as I got back to my typical mixed driving pattern here in N. Georgia, it's back to 19.7, and that stays constant. I'm relying on my information cluster just like you. Do you have a tonneau cover that might reduce some drag. I love the GMC truck but I'm a little disappointed in the hwy miles mpg. I'd be doing back-flips over 23 mpg hwy for the extra 75 miles per tank. I hope you enjoy your new truck like I do.

Last edited:
Quote:

Jim74,

What is your secret? I have the same engine. The best I've gotten out of my non 4X4 is an even 20 mpg avg. That was on a 900 mile round trip to Florida and back. As soon as I got back to my typical mixed driving pattern here in N. Georgia, it's back to 19.7, and that stays constant. I'm relying on my information cluster just like you. Do you have a tonneau cover that might reduce some drag. I love the GMC truck but I'm a little disappointed in the hwy miles mpg. I'd be doing back-flips over 23 mpg hwy for the extra 75 miles per tank. I hope you enjoy your new truck like I do.

Not sure, I do not have a tonneau cover. I just drive like a little old lady I guess, lol. Mixed driving I got 19.5 mpg last fill up, according to my calculator.

Last edited:
Cool! So you are one of the ones that fought me in arbitration! That makes sense. Great ecotec engine by the way. Dead at 59000 miles.

Friend of mine has a HHR that tossed it's cam chain. Out of state on vacation. Chevy paid for a rental vehicle big enough for his family (4 door pickup) for the rest of vacation. Then once the car was fixed (new engine under warranty) the trucked his car up here to him.

It seems like when these engine blow, GM seems to do right. I really haven't heard of GM not doing anything unless the engine was a victim of blatant abuse.

It was between the Silverado 5.3 and my Ram. I liked the Silverado a lot. Yes they had some growing pains with recalls with the 2014's. Seems chevy has addressed most of the problems. Over on the GM-trucks forum, seems the only unresolved issue is the vibrations. Even with that, for every one with a vibration issue there are 5 without a problem.

I had some oil consumption issues with the 07 Z71 I had, but the new engine is a different animal.

If the 5.3 made a little more power and the chevy dealer we have in town didn't have an idiot for a sales manager. We would have bought it.

Nice truck man, people are going to hate on what you get no matter what!

That's very good fuel mileage, its amazing how efficient these new 1/2 ton trucks are.

My new Ram just cracked 17mpg today, the old Silverado it replaced got a very constant 14-15.5 over the last 100k miles around town. I'm surprised the Ram is doing so well, with 300 miles on the ODO its still tight. I suspect after another 10k or so I might be able to get my average up to 18.

The big thing is the Ram is 4wd while the Chevy was 2wd. 4wd isn't much of a mileage killer anymore.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

22 MPG out of a 4x4 1/2 ton is great. That was unheard of a decade ago.

Glad you are enjoying the truck.

My C3 has the caddy 6.0 in it with 325/375 and is an 01 with 225k on the odo and is awd.
Setting cruise at 60mph and no crazy headwinds the truck gets 20mpg easily all day long,on the highway and my best was 24mpg in it with a tailwind.
So yes the op's mileage is great,especially considering its sixxer is highly stressed to put out that kind of power,but I'm getting close to it in a 15 year old truck.
Mos2 must be doing something because it seems all my vehicles smoke the EPA ratings.
Heck I've gotten 30+mpg in my charger driving to Calgary before.

They did not help me. 6 months in the shop. Engine sounded like a diesel. GM said don't bring it back until the piston exits the block.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Friend of mine has a HHR that tossed it's cam chain. Out of state on vacation. Chevy paid for a rental vehicle big enough for his family (4 door pickup) for the rest of vacation. Then once the car was fixed (new engine under warranty) the trucked his car up here to him.

It seems like when these engine blow, GM seems to do right. I really haven't heard of GM not doing anything unless the engine was a victim of blatant abuse.

Why don't you shove a sock in it!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

No...you are covering your ears and squeaking, "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!" like a 4-year-old.

be angry somewhere else.

Why don't you shove a sock in it!

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

So you ARE a sock for lovcom! Figured! Dude, you need some new material.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
It was between the Silverado 5.3 and my Ram. I liked the Silverado a lot. Yes they had some growing pains with recalls with the 2014's. Seems chevy has addressed most of the problems. Over on the GM-trucks forum, seems the only unresolved issue is the vibrations. Even with that, for every one with a vibration issue there are 5 without a problem.

I had some oil consumption issues with the 07 Z71 I had, but the new engine is a different animal.

If the 5.3 made a little more power and the chevy dealer we have in town didn't have an idiot for a sales manager. We would have bought it.

Nice truck man, people are going to hate on what you get no matter what!

These vibration problems worry me. There are stories of persons going to a Dealer and all Silverado's on the lot had the vibration problem. That there doesn't seem to be a fix yet is the main problem.

^^^The infamous "beam shake". We only had one Silverado in our fleet with it. An 06 5.3 model. Shook around 40-50 mph and was impossible to fix.

But the truck gave great service for well past 150k miles until I sold it. It's a weird problem but wasn't really that bad for us...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back