Adjustable drawbar for towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two different trailers, one takes 17/8 and the other 2". I have a pair of drawbars for my car; my truck at moment has just one adjustable drawbar for the two different sizes. Swapping balls is a pain, as this drawbar for some reason lacks "notches" to keep the ball from spinning. Any reason to not buy another adjustable, other than it costs $40 as opposed to $20 or so for a fixed drop?

I suppose an even cheaper fix is to just use my car, but putting that aside for now...

I have thought of that eljefino; seems like that is still $20+ of effort, and I have to order the coupler. But I did forget to mention that. It is a possibility, can't rule that out I guess.

These aren't terribly expensive, and you get 1 7\8", 2",and 2 5/16".

image_24886.jpg

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

image_24886.jpg

This is what I have too, works great. Was only $25 at Harbor Freight.

Last time I pulled either trailer I used at least 3" of drop to make them level. Its a "modern" truck, you know, stupid tall.

OTOH on my Jetta I have like 2" rise and it is still not enough to level the trailer.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

image_24886.jpg

This is what I have too, works great. Was only $25 at Harbor Freight.

Yeah, those are nice, but just not an option for a pickup truck in most cases. Trailer would have its nose up at ridiculous angle. The tallest hitch trailer I've towed (a hydraulic dump trailer with a surge brake that raises the hitch a few inches) still needed a 2" drop adaptor on my Ram 1500. A travel trailer with electric brakes needs a 5" drop.

A lot of vehicles have a pretty high hitch height relative to most smaller trailers. A friend's 2 horse bumper pull needs a 4 inch drop to sit level behind the Jeep, even after the suspension droops a bit from the tongue weight. Behind an early 2000s F-350, it needs an 8 - 10 inch drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back