Which Oil and Filter, and Why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it odd that you embrace certain aspects of fleet maintenance when they corroborate your position (i.e. a pre-emptive repair to avoid a very large expense with expensive downtime; mandatory replacement of aircraft engines based upon hours) yet you say that don't add up and aren't applicable to this discussion if they don't corroborate your position.

Some people running fleets to get massive mileage out of a vehicle, and depending upon the type of vehicle and type of service, different things are done. Extremely long OCIs with UOAs can work in the trucking industry, particularly in the desire to avoid downtime. Ask Doug Hillary. Extremely long OCIs don't save a lot of downtime in the taxi industry. Ask me; I can change the oil faster than they can vacuum the car during shift changeover. There are also several fleet managers on here who run coolant to equipment failure on passenger type vehicles; I've done the same. That would never fly in the trucking industry.

With respect to personal vehicles, it's obvious that you've never owned a money pit or run anything to extremely high mileage, or even to the point where low book value precludes expensive repairs.

Originally Posted By: Wills05
Hey all,

I'm looking to see what you all would recommend for my '05 Silverado 5.3 but more importantly why.

I had been using M1 5/30 EP and a K&N oil filter and for the last two changes I have been using Amsoil SS 5/30 and an EA oil filter. I'm not comfortable with extended intervals, when I was using M1 I was changing every 3k for not reason other than I was bored and oil is cheap. So I had the chance to get some Amsoil at wholesale cost so I did.

I'm wondering if there is some reason that Amsoil is truly better than M1 in my case. I'll be changing the oil roughly around the olm if not a bit earlier, again I like to just have fresh oil and go over the truck to make sure everything is good. Which filter would be the best to use? I'm not necessarily concerned too heavily about cost per change as I have used Amsoil SS and didn't get close to its potential.

I have considered going to M1 for the ease of picking it up and also I figure I can save about $10-15 per oil change.

Thank you for the help!

Personally, regular changes and you will be good to go, no matter the oil. But, you asked a question and here is the answer. No other oil company produces this information except Amsoil.
Most oil marketing is all smoke and mirrors, just change on time, yet here are the only facts you will see to your question, how much does it matter to you is the only question.
Some my flame this statement, if so, just produce a competing oil companies facts and tests. Amsoil is the only company I know to do so. I wish all other companies did.
Click here for oil test resulsts on the oils you asked about

Based on your statement that you intend to do frequent oil changes and not extend them, to me, it sounds like Amsoil would be overkill. However I do think you can do better then Mobile 1 based on the link above.
Agree with another in here, since you change so often, any Dexos approved oil.

Last edited:
LOL, on amsoil fluff being facts on how it will protect your engine better than "mobile".

Yes, I agree that Amsoil engine oil may well be a better oil for your gearbox (why else would they prove their superiority in the 4 ball stakes)...but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back