Mazda
Mercedes-Benz USA
Mitsubishi Motors
Porsche
Toyota
Volkswagen Group of America
Volvo Cars North America

Something interesting:

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that “letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system."

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

http://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210/+megneal

Why are people still framing this as "working on your own car" ?

Most of us want to change oil and do brakes and other routine maintenance. This isn't modifying the software in any way.

Why the idiotic hyperbole?

Audi is VW and I thought Porsche falls under that "umbrella" now too.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Audi is VW and I thought Porsche falls under that "umbrella" now too.

Don't forget Lamborghini.

I was wrong about Audi, Lamborghini and Fiat, they are on the list by parent company.

The only companies that are not on the list are Ferrari, Honda and Nissan. These companies mean to say "You paid for the vehicle(s), it is your and you can do whatever you like with it."

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I was wrong about Audi, Lamborghini and Fiat, they are on the list by parent company.

The only companies that are not on the list are Ferrari, Honda and Nissan. These companies mean to say "You paid for the vehicle(s), it is your and you can do whatever you like with it."

Fiat also owns Ferrari.

I just left a reply on my company's intranet forum to someone who posted this. It's like people don't even read the [censored] things they post. How many people tune their cars?

If you up your HP or change how your car operates, you're negating the emissions control programming and minimizing the safety margin to failure. Coming from someone who tunes his vehicles, I can say that you have to pay to play, and there are many who don't want to. They'd rather reflash to stock and trade in their POS or take it in to the dealer and try to make a warranty claim when something goes wrong after they mod or tune.

This means that you cannot make it go faster or disable the media restriction.

For example in my mazda the infotainment system disables itself after going over 80km/h

This is just the beginning of a trend to help make your life better. Automakers know that you want more and more features and you're willing to pay for the added convenience. They know what you want and they will take care of all the details so you won't have to worry. The government is perfectly positioned to enable this progress because of all the help and guidance the politicians receive from the manufacturers. The dashboard read outs will tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it. Your responsibility is to report to the service department on time when prompted. Your vehicle will have already scheduled your appointment and will debit your account when the service is complete. You will also be notified when it's time to turn your vehicle in and upgrade to your new ride. Of course, you'll have to pick the color. See, all they are doing is making your life simple and taking care of you.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
This is just the beginning of a trend to help make your life better. Automakers know that you want more and more features and you're willing to pay for the added convenience. They know what you want and they will take care of all the details so you won't have to worry. The government is perfectly positioned to enable this progress because of all the help and guidance the politicians receive from the manufacturers. The dashboard read outs will tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it. Your responsibility is to report to the service department on time when prompted. Your vehicle will have already scheduled your appointment and will debit your account when the service is complete. You will also be notified when it's time to turn your vehicle in and upgrade to your new ride. Of course, you'll have to pick the color. See, all they are doing is making your life simple and taking care of you.

Trolling.gif

Some automakers have been doing this for years, especially Toyota. No one has been able to "tune" a Toyota ECU by modifying fuel maps and other operating parameters. One way is to piggyback "tune" ie, using an MAF signal intercepter inline that modifies MAF data from the sensor. GM, Ford, Chrysler has been very popular with the tuning crowd because their ECU's allow easier modifications. Heck with a proper tune even a stock engine can make more power with an ECU flash.

Lol why is the media blowing up on why you can't physically modify or work on your car? Only thing is that you can't tune your engine for aftermarket headers, intake, exhaust or enable or modify the option for the ECU to control electric fans, when they turn on/off, or remove the speed limter if they were to implement DRM into ECU's.

Last edited:
This entire thread is nonsense, of you have tools you CAN work on your car wether they want you to or not.

As for remapping/reprogramming/recalbrating - it's not hard to decode and rewrite a few lines of code. But it's even easier to install standalone management like Lynx/DTA/Omex/Emerald/MegaSquirt and map it exactly how you want it - it only takes a little bit of thinking to see a way round any legislation they put before us, especially if it's related to something fun/enjoyable

The vehicles left the factory with EPA approved programming,meaning fuel economy and emissions.This should be more an EPA issue rather than a trademark/patent issue.Messing with an ECM programming is bound to cause more emissions due to higher fuel rate/more hp.Nobody tunes for economy,just more hp...

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Why are people still framing this as "working on your own car" ?

Most of us want to change oil and do brakes and other routine maintenance. This isn't modifying the software in any way.

Why the idiotic hyperbole?

+1

If Honda remains off of any of these lists, they will always get my business.

You respect me, I respect you back with my money.

I only see this as corporate control, even if it never affects me.

Some young guys are 1000x more advanced than me in cars, these are bad times to be young IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back