Havoline high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local walmart has havoline high mileage on sale $11 for a 5 quart jug. I did a search but can't find much info on this oil. Does anyone have experience using it? Does it contain moly? I bought a jug of the 5w-20 for my 03 f250 5.4. I've only ever used motorcraft or 76 syn blend before. I have no leaks or consumption issues though.

That's a great deal. I have 3 jugs of it in my stash from a sale Amazon had recently. I haven't tried it yet, though. I'm thinking it's basically conventional Havoline with more additives and seal conditioners, kinda like how Pennzoil HM is to Pennzoil conventional. It says nothing about being a synthetic blend like Valvoline MaxLife or QS Defy.

I have 9 jugs of the 5w20. I have not used it yet.

From what I can see its regular havoline with extra additives and also a little thicker. It does not meet energy conserving spec I guess due to running thicker than most in that spec.

But damm $11 is a great price.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
My local walmart has havoline high mileage on sale $11 for a 5 quart jug. I did a search but can't find much info on this oil. Does anyone have experience using it? Does it contain moly? I bought a jug of the 5w-20 for my 03 f250 5.4. I've only ever used motorcraft or 76 syn blend before. I have no leaks or consumption issues though.

It is a great "sleeper" oil. It contains "some Moly" but not compared to 10 years ago, they have moved away from higher Moly content (it used to be extremely high in the pre-Chevron days). There are rumors it might be a syn-blend but there is nothing I have seen that supports it. I think that it is just like any major company, they use what is in their vats and available. So you might get slightly less longevity that you would expect from a conventional vs a Synblend. Havoline always seems to provide good/great UOA although it is not as much of a VOA darling compared to some others. Delo is the darling from BITOG out of the Chevron products. Here was the most recent PQIA test of the regular conventional http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/havoline530a.htm (they have tested it 3 times). A so-so NOACK is the biggest complain but Havoline tends to be one of the thinnest across the weights out of the major brands. It helps with a lot of folks reporting better fuel economy but the NOACK becomes average.

If it is $11, I would clean out the shelf.

There is also a $5 rebate on it right now through April 30th.
https://www.chevronpromotions.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81

It is a great "sleeper" oil. It contains "some Moly" but not compared to 10 years ago, they have moved away from higher Moly content (it used to be extremely high in the pre-Chevron days). There are rumors it might be a syn-blend but there is nothing I have seen that supports it. I think that it is just like any major company, they use what is in their vats and available. So you might get slightly less longevity that you would expect from a conventional vs a Synblend. Havoline always seems to provide good/great UOA although it is not as much of a VOA darling compared to some others. Delo is the darling from BITOG out of the Chevron products. Here was the most recent PQIA test of the regular conventional http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/havoline530a.htm (they have tested it 3 times). A so-so NOACK is the biggest complain but Havoline tends to be one of the thinnest across the weights out of the major brands. It helps with a lot of folks reporting better fuel economy but the NOACK becomes average.

If it is $11, I would clean out the shelf.

There is also a $5 rebate on it right now through April 30th.
https://www.chevronpromotions.com/

I had all but forgotten Havoline Oil. I used it years and years ago, good oil, by that I mean, never lost an engine with it...........that means a lot to me...

I've never been disappointed by a Chevron product, so I would use Havoline oil without hesitation. Even if it's just a conventional oil, that's still cheaper than SuperTech, and Havoline is excellent oil, so I say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back