bmw tyranny fluid (gm trans)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I have been changing my transfluid with every oci since I bought my bimmer. 4 changes over the last 40k. the filter was changed by the dealer, but I should of changed it at 30k interval. oh well. im doing it at 50..

anyways Im just curious as to if you guys think I should do a non powered flush before I change the filter? even with a 5 quart drain and fill every 10k(roughly) the fluid still comes out dark brown every single time i change it. I attribute most of this to the dirty fluid already in the system, but just seems like after 4 fills it would of cleaned up, and 10k is that really enough to turn the fluid brown? maybe. idk.

anyways. what do you guys think? bucket flush from the cooling lines before then filter change, or just change the filter and refill?

Drain and fills every 10k sounds great until it gets caught up. The fluid color could be normal. Can't always tell ATF by color without a UOA.

I would not do anything except the drain and fills, they will work fine.

What fluid are you using? Have you considered upgrading?

What exact bmw model? Miles? Are u using Dex 6? I think u are doing fine with drain and fill at 10k. Filter change at 50k is fine, too.

Would be good to know year/model/mileage/fluid used.

4 drain/fills might have gotten only 2/3rds the original fluid out depending upon total AT fluid volume/drain amount. If you have those stats, you can use this computer to see:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqdwTMVJe9sCdGNISnVocjYxangyX0F3SGFXNlZoZEE#gid=2

If you have cooler lines into the radiator, that is by far to me the best way to exchange fluids and do it all at once. It's easy to do. Then you have a baseline of clean/new fluid and can monitor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back