New 2014 Kia Forte - Oil @ filter recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that anyone could argue that an oil such as PYB or PP or M1 or Valvoline aren't better than ST. Especially if the ST is a dino oil. Personally, I couldn't sleep at night knowing ST was in my crankcase. Then again, I am a medicated OCD patient.
smile.gif

I have run a 9500 mile Oil Change with ST Syn. The UOA turned out excellent. I would have no problem running ST dino oil in any non-turbo vehicle for the max. mileage interval.

I'm 68 y.o. and have done dozens oif oil analysis. I would sleep fine with ST in there. One of the beauties of following BITOG is gathering knowledge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nothing wrong with supertech oil; it is SN rated just like many other OTC oils.

BITOG is good @ dispelling myths like the one you have bought into.

I don't feel I've bought into any myths. I find it hard to believe that anyone could argue that an oil such as PYB or PP or M1 or Valvoline aren't better than ST. Especially if the ST is a dino oil. Personally, I couldn't sleep at night knowing ST was in my crankcase. Then again, I am a medicated OCD patient.
smile.gif

Could you define "better" more precisely please?

Gentlemen----who cares what other put in their engines? Put what you want in yours. You aint convincing anyone who isnt asking for advice, (such as starting a thread asking for advice!) trust me, thats human nature. I think I may just run motorcraft 5w-20 since I run that in my truck. Makes oil buying easier. Unless I can find some of that syn blend or other reasonably priced 0w-20. The full syn is a little pricey for my taste, and the Motorcraft 5w-20 is well known to be excellent. As for the filters, thanks for the advice on Ebay Kia factory filters. I will have to cross-walk the price/quality tradeoff with what's available at wally world. Since we will only be doing four oil changes or so, (unless I do a break-in drain), bulk buying may be overkill.

Last edited:
95busa, here's an embedded copy of the Hyundai/Kia 2012 TSB on the use of aftermarket oil filters:

Technical Service Bulletin 12-EM-006

DATE SEPTEMBER 2012
ALL MODELS

USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS
CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

This bulletin supersedes TSB 05-20-002.

Description:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

Vehicles Affected:
All Models

Repair Procedure:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

Warranty Information:
Normal warranty procedures apply.
This is NOT a warranty repair.

SUBJECT:
Any concerns caused by previous use of an aftermarket oil filter should be noted in the repair order and discussed with the customer.

if it is leased use whatever oil and do the change at the maximum allowed oil change which is i believe 1 year 7500 miles or severe service 6 months 3750 miles. Why waste your money? Hyundai and Kia make good cars

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
if it is leased use whatever oil and do the change at the maximum allowed oil change which is i believe 1 year 7500 miles or severe service 6 months 3750 miles. Why waste your money? Hyundai and Kia make good cars

I agree they are good cars. We may keep it at the end of lease- who knows?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
95busa, here's an embedded copy of the Hyundai/Kia 2012 TSB on the use of aftermarket oil filters:

Technical Service Bulletin 12-EM-006

DATE SEPTEMBER 2012
ALL MODELS

USE OF AFTERMARKET ENGINE OIL FILTERS
CAUSING ENGINE KNOCKING NOISE

This bulletin supersedes TSB 05-20-002.

Description:
Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

Vehicles Affected:
All Models

Repair Procedure:
Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

Warranty Information:
Normal warranty procedures apply.
This is NOT a warranty repair.

SUBJECT:
Any concerns caused by previous use of an aftermarket oil filter should be noted in the repair order and discussed with the customer.

NOW THAT IS GOOD INFO! Thanks buddy!

Wife has a 2011. I use Amsoil with OEM filter. I change it about twice a year, her mileage isn't too much but we live in a very hot and dusty climate with daily trip over a mountain.

On the 2013 elantra (mpfi not GDI), I have run the factory filter, a mobil 1 filter, and currently a fram ultra. No noise on startup. The only noise i ever hear is just after an oil change, I think its the VVT system coming up to oil pressure, i do pre-fill my filters.
I'm running 0w20 and 5w 20 in the winter and 5w 30 summer permitted in the manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
On the 2013 elantra (mpfi not GDI), I have run the factory filter, a mobil 1 filter, and currently a fram ultra. No noise on startup. The only noise i ever hear is just after an oil change, I think its the VVT system coming up to oil pressure, i do pre-fill my filters.
I'm running 0w20 and 5w 20 in the winter and 5w 30 summer permitted in the manual.

Agreed. I've used oem and aftermarket oil filters without issue. Also use 0w20, 5w20 and 5w30 on occasion (like now).

Originally Posted By: 95busa
Well, the wife got a new leased 2014 Kia Forte KOUP. 2.0L GDI engine, 6 speed auto. Clearly we wont be modding the car (lease), but I will be doing maintenance. Recommended grade is 5w-20. Anyone ever service one of these cars? Any issues? With the GDI and possible crankcase vapors carboning the valves, is there a 5w020 or 0w20 (non-exotic, gotta get it at Wally) less prone to being sucked up in the PCV? Dont know what the terminology would be for oil with those properties. Anyone have a filter preference?
Thanks!

With a title like that all you are going to get is people posting different oil, weight and filter brands....I really don't see how that is helpful unless they own the same car as you. Certain brands may make their vehicle run smooth and quiet but that may not be the same for yours. The answer is real easy, look past what viscosity is displayed on your oil fill cap and read your owners manual. They will have all the fluids, weights and specifications listed. Once you have that info any API approved oil that is spec'd for your car will do. My recommended oil for you would be one on special & spec'd for your Kia....if you like the oil keep using it, if not, try a different one until you find the oil that makes you happy. Change your oil as recommended in your owners manual service section and you will be fine.

As far as oil filters OEM is what you should use according to Hyundai/Kia but if you feel that it is not sufficient then there are plenty of threads here posted with a lot of info from knowledgeable members and their revelations from different aftermarket filters. You can choose which one you feel will meet your needs...my Hyundai only sees OEM to avoid any warranty hassles if a problem should occur but you can use aftermarket filters.

Good luck with your selection!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 95busa
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Since you will be doing the oil & filter changes and because this is a lease, I would use the least expensive oil/filter combo available for your vehicle in 5w20.

Either buy the oil/filter package at one of the local autoparts store sales OR as you mentioned, at Walmart*

*SuperTech oil in 5w20 and a Purolator Classic filter at ~ $17 out the door! I believe(in my area) the ST oil is $12.47/5 qt jug and Puro Classic(white)filter is $3.27/ea. all plus tax.

Unless the Owners Manual requires a synthetic oil, I'd just stay with the SuperTech oil/Puro Classic filter or anything else that you find at better prices. Both are fine for your car even if you owned it!

Lots of folks/members using ST oil/PuroClass filters with good success including me! Have been for years.

Yeah, it is a lease, but we will take care of it well just in case we end up buying it! No issues running ST (I am not an oil snob), I run motorcraft 5w-20 in my 250 and Pennzoil HM in my van. Do you think the ST will hold up to direct injection? Any problems with volatility given no gas washes the intake valves?

I believe that ST dino/syn in your correct weight is fine unless your vehicle Owners Manual recommends a specific oil meeting the Mfg's specification...like dexos1 for example, as GM engines do, or HTO-06 in a Honda Turbo engine...etc.

Last edited:
What if it is an aftermarket filter that was installed 2700 miles ago with no leaks or issues until the oil filter gasket blew out from too much pressure? Is that not from too much internal pressure caused from the engine? Kia and Hyundai have an issue with the 2.0l that they have taken a stance on aftermarket filters to avoid warranties. Why am I now on the hook for replacing an engine because we used an aftermarket filter designed by the same company that designed the Kia/Hyundai factory filter! Yes Kia/Hyundai did not design the spec for their own filter Purolator did. Plus I now have to wait for an engine to be built out of country and delivered to the dealer. After talking to several dealers they have all replaced this motor recently and are aware non are available yet they say there is no issue. Kia is unwilling to acknowledge there is a problem with the 2.0L and now I have to pay for a new motor on a new car with under 27K! Whats the deal with Kia and this oil issue whether it be the filter, oil viscosity or internal oil pressure from the engine itself?

People rarely keep leases after it's up. By 3 years you're pretty [censored] bored with the vehicle anyway (especially wife!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back