General Energy Topic: Comparitive Energy Output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Shannow

I'm not quite sure that the Earth was created with pre-packaged solar cells ready to be installed...they will have pollution in their manufacture, and embodied energy in their construction, and waste streams when they all start to fail and need replacement some time down the future.

Don't get nothing for nothing, even free energy.

You come up with some doozies once in a while. I'll put up solar and wind per MW capacity to your coal generator. Coal is terribly wasteful and polluting. Something like 15% of the gross output is needed for auxiliaries. Massive electric motors on the order of 10,000 hp for FD and ID fans, a half dozen 600hp coal crusher motors, massive cooling tower pumps, condensate, boiler feedwater. A 12 story building of massive steel and 1000s of millions of tons of coal ash that will sit somewhere for forever and pollute groundwater. Trillions of tons of sulphur, ash, and various heavy metals injected into the atmosphere. Then what do you do with the small city of steel when it is done after its 40 year design life?

Is the energy input to solar and wind free? yes or no

Please.....just please.

While we can certainly rip on coal for being a "fossil" plant, my gripe is more toward comparing these "green" efforts to established non-fossil driven modes of generation like hydro electric and nuclear. The former which appears to be too "old" to get the green stigma group behind it (it isn't new, exciting, or in your face) and the latter currently suffering from the fallout (pardon the pun) of the Japan disaster.

Example of a good sized Canadian hydro dam here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-Bourassa_generating_station

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
The Robert-Bourassa generating station (formerly known as La Grande-2) is a hydroelectric power station on the La Grande River that is part of Hydro-Québec's James Bay Project in Canada. The station can generate 5,616 MW and its 16 units were gradually commissioned between 1979 and 1981.[1] Annual generation is in the vicinity of 26500 GWh.[2]

Together with the adjacent 2,106 MW La Grande-2-A generating station (LG-2-A), commissioned in 1991-1992, it uses the reservoir and dam system of the Robert-Bourassa Reservoir to generate electricity. The two plants taken together account for more than 20% of Hydro-Québec's total installed capacity of 36,810 MW in 2009.[1] It is Canada's largest hydroelectric power station and currently[when?] ranks in 8th place on the list of largest hydroelectric power stations.

Note that this dam has been making power for 34 years. How many wind turbines or solar farms are going to yield that kind of lifespan? Not to mention that this dam makes power 24/7/365.

The town I live in (a big personal gripe) has a couple of hydro dams. Instead of adding another or upgrading these 100 year old installs, they installed a 10MW solar farm that they then had to rip up 25% of because those panels were under performing. The solar farm occupies 150 acres, but the city has 300 acres reserved to it. This is 300 acres of good farm land.

The 40 million dollars of taxpayer money would have gone MUCH further pursuing expanding or upgrading our existing (reliable) hydro electric infrastructure. But the solar farm is "in your face!" like wind turbines, so that's why that was done instead. It doesn't matter that it was financially irresponsible in comparison to other efforts. It doesn't matter that power production wise, it falls on its face compared to existing generating methods. What matters is that it shows that we are "green" because we built a solar farm. It's about bowing and serving the propaganda machine; about towing the line on the green movement train rather than using logic and common sense. And that's what bothers me the most about the entire push to go "green". It is more about image and media; about hype and agenda than it is about actually being green.

That's not to say there aren't places where these developing methods of generation, wind and solar, make sense. There are I am sure. But this location isn't one of them. We don't get a lot of sun. We get a fair amount of snow. The land is NOT flat and the wind does NOT blow steadily. The best method of generation for this area was discovered and utilized more than 100 years ago and that's the rivers that flow through it. If people could look past the propaganda and agenda, this sort of logical evaluation could be made before the money is spent and many times wasted. There's nothing wrong with not doing something that makes no sense. Unfortunately it would seem those in charge of making these types of decisions are more concerned with how they appear in the media relative to the green movement than they are about how they spend the money of those who are paying for their service. And that's a problem.

Our hydro rates TRIPLED because of these green energy "projects". None of which have contributed significantly to Ontario's hydro infrastructure. The staples are still our nuke plants which basically run the entire province. So where is the value that I, the taxpayer/consumer am getting for that money? We aren't shuttering coal plants and oil burners here. We've already invested massively in refurbishing our 2nd largest nuke plant, which comes on the heels of the refurb of our largest. Had the province gone ahead with the expansion of Darlington, it and Bruce could run the province. That would have been, IMHO, money well spent. Instead, it would seem, our money is being squandered on these fly-by-night efforts which don't last and often get ripped up after the grant money dries up. Again, where's the value in that? I'm not seeing it
21.gif

You must have worked at some junk plants for 15% aux energy...really.

(the small city of steel is recycled into cars and beercans)

I think you need to get more educated on coal fired plants. Your focus where you work seems to be somewhat narrow. Again, ask your operators about aux consumption. Get out your station one line and tell me the ratings of the main, UAT and RAT. That'll give us a good idea. I'd be curious on what you have for scrubbers. You totally side skipped the air pollution and ground pollution thing.

All that structural and boiler steel is made at tremendous energy penalty and will be repurposed at tremendous energy penalty.

These discussions always get political with words like greenies being thrown around. I am not a greenie but I don't want to ruin the planet either.

And surely that vast experience gives you a handle on how many square metres, at 20% efficiency, and 250KWhr per square metre embodied energy, at 30% capacity factor is needed to make 700MW of thermal redundant.

I thought 90% of Australia was a dessert wasteland. Plenty of room for solar cells.

Excelon wants to shut down it's nukes in Illinois because it cannot compete. Natural Gas is kicking their profit line to the curb.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I'm not quite sure that the Earth was created with pre-packaged solar cells ready to be installed...they will have pollution in their manufacture, and embodied energy in their construction, and waste streams when they all start to fail and need replacement some time down the future.

Don't get nothing for nothing, even free energy.

You come up with some doozies once in a while. I'll put up solar and wind per MW capacity to your coal generator. Coal is terribly wasteful and polluting. Something like 15% of the gross output is needed for auxiliaries. Massive electric motors on the order of 10,000 hp for FD and ID fans, a half dozen 600hp coal crusher motors, massive cooling tower pumps, condensate, boiler feedwater. A 12 story building of massive steel and 1000s of millions of tons of coal ash that will sit somewhere for forever and pollute groundwater. Trillions of tons of sulphur, ash, and various heavy metals injected into the atmosphere. Then what do you do with the small city of steel when it is done after its 40 year design life?

Is the energy input to solar and wind free? yes or no

Please.....just please.

While we can certainly rip on coal for being a "fossil" plant, my gripe is more toward comparing these "green" efforts to established non-fossil driven modes of generation like hydro electric and nuclear. The former which appears to be too "old" to get the green stigma group behind it (it isn't new, exciting, or in your face) and the latter currently suffering from the fallout (pardon the pun) of the Japan disaster.

Example of a good sized Canadian hydro dam here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert-Bourassa_generating_station

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia
The Robert-Bourassa generating station (formerly known as La Grande-2) is a hydroelectric power station on the La Grande River that is part of Hydro-Québec's James Bay Project in Canada. The station can generate 5,616 MW and its 16 units were gradually commissioned between 1979 and 1981.[1] Annual generation is in the vicinity of 26500 GWh.[2]

Together with the adjacent 2,106 MW La Grande-2-A generating station (LG-2-A), commissioned in 1991-1992, it uses the reservoir and dam system of the Robert-Bourassa Reservoir to generate electricity. The two plants taken together account for more than 20% of Hydro-Québec's total installed capacity of 36,810 MW in 2009.[1] It is Canada's largest hydroelectric power station and currently[when?] ranks in 8th place on the list of largest hydroelectric power stations.

Note that this dam has been making power for 34 years. How many wind turbines or solar farms are going to yield that kind of lifespan? Not to mention that this dam makes power 24/7/365.

The town I live in (a big personal gripe) has a couple of hydro dams. Instead of adding another or upgrading these 100 year old installs, they installed a 10MW solar farm that they then had to rip up 25% of because those panels were under performing. The solar farm occupies 150 acres, but the city has 300 acres reserved to it. This is 300 acres of good farm land.

The 40 million dollars of taxpayer money would have gone MUCH further pursuing expanding or upgrading our existing (reliable) hydro electric infrastructure. But the solar farm is "in your face!" like wind turbines, so that's why that was done instead. It doesn't matter that it was financially irresponsible in comparison to other efforts. It doesn't matter that power production wise, it falls on its face compared to existing generating methods. What matters is that it shows that we are "green" because we built a solar farm. It's about bowing and serving the propaganda machine; about towing the line on the green movement train rather than using logic and common sense. And that's what bothers me the most about the entire push to go "green". It is more about image and media; about hype and agenda than it is about actually being green.

That's not to say there aren't places where these developing methods of generation, wind and solar, make sense. There are I am sure. But this location isn't one of them. We don't get a lot of sun. We get a fair amount of snow. The land is NOT flat and the wind does NOT blow steadily. The best method of generation for this area was discovered and utilized more than 100 years ago and that's the rivers that flow through it. If people could look past the propaganda and agenda, this sort of logical evaluation could be made before the money is spent and many times wasted. There's nothing wrong with not doing something that makes no sense. Unfortunately it would seem those in charge of making these types of decisions are more concerned with how they appear in the media relative to the green movement than they are about how they spend the money of those who are paying for their service. And that's a problem.

Our hydro rates TRIPLED because of these green energy "projects". None of which have contributed significantly to Ontario's hydro infrastructure. The staples are still our nuke plants which basically run the entire province. So where is the value that I, the taxpayer/consumer am getting for that money? We aren't shuttering coal plants and oil burners here. We've already invested massively in refurbishing our 2nd largest nuke plant, which comes on the heels of the refurb of our largest. Had the province gone ahead with the expansion of Darlington, it and Bruce could run the province. That would have been, IMHO, money well spent. Instead, it would seem, our money is being squandered on these fly-by-night efforts which don't last and often get ripped up after the grant money dries up. Again, where's the value in that? I'm not seeing it
21.gif

Well stated.
thumbsup2.gif

In addition to hydroelectricity, which is essentially distributed, high-energy-density facilities, I still say that distributed PBR reactors are the way to go because they would be distributed high-energy-density facilities as well.

These discussions always get political with words like greenies being thrown around. I am not a greenie but I don't want to ruin the planet either.

That irritates me too. Disrespectful terms negate the integrity of the writer.

My comments re greenies were that the only meaningful storage available is hydro pumped, and they will (and are) rejecting every attempt to do so, at last in Oz.

Quote:
Our hydro rates TRIPLED because of these green energy "projects".

And why? Because the interconnection or "tie" system is being forced to pay for the higher rates from production of the predicted Lower cost 'Green' electricity.

Here in the US, the 'Green' party always manages to try and throw a wrench into the energy production system by finding some excuse using a combination of pseudoscience and the corrupted philosophy of the, "Precautionary Principle."

Last edited:

1. Big infrastructure is also needed for "green" energy. Don't kid yourself otherwise. There is no free (energy) lunch.

2. Not only are solar & wind not dense enough, they're also not consistent enough to boot. How is that going to work? I use solar energy to heat my cold water, which then remains hot for hours and hours afterwards. But using solar to generate electricity is very different...what do you store the electricity produced in.....chemical batteries? Leyden jars? The energy in coal is stored in itself...for millions and millions of years. Generation needs storage to be workable.

3. You used 'massive' alot! OK..solar and wind takes 'massive' amounts of land due to its low density. Further, it takes 'massive' amounts of infrastructure to get its energy from the middle of nowhere to somewhere. It has to be stepped up to HIGH VOLTAGE AC to be transmitted any distance. And DC must first be converted to AC. Ohm dictates you don't transmit DC nor heavy current over any distance: You'll lose more than you'll receive.

4. Steel is recycled every day. No problem.

As was stated to me directly in another thread by the ol' Turtle-y One:

"Your ideas just don't work!"

Hmmm, just look in the mirror, eh? The only way any of this stuff works is with massive investments which are siphoned off to all the cronies of whoever is in charge. Very little actual work gets done.

Imagining that the solutions to our energy issues are simple and direct is the first mistake. The real world seldom works that way...

Both sides have valid points. My biggest problem with these discussions is that everyone always points to the "green" energy as only being viable as long as there are subsidies. Big oil is not immune to this. They post 10's of billions in profit every year, yet are still receiving billions in subsidies and tax relief every year with not so mush as a mention. So apparently, that shouldn't be the standard as to weather something is working or not.

Originally Posted By: twigdog
Both sides have valid points. My biggest problem with these discussions is that everyone always points to the "green" energy as only being viable as long as there are subsidies. Big oil is not immune to this. They post 10's of billions in profit every year, yet are still receiving billions in subsidies and tax relief every year with not so mush as a mention. So apparently, that shouldn't be the standard as to weather something is working or not.

^This^This^This

Someone else gets it! Hurray!. Yes fossil fuels are massively subsidized. The arguments that "green" can only exist with subsidies is so flawed. I would love to see what a level playing field would actually result in.

As would I with wind and solar having to contribute to grid stability rather than just moving energy without ancillary services...and being distruptive like the flakey nature of wind.

Solar in Oz got "greenhouse credits" to the value of 5 times the lifetime CO2 saving (gross), 60c feed in tarrifs (wholesale prices of 4c, and retail of 25c at the time)...they are now getting given wholesale rates, and realistic CO2 credits, and all the owners are crying about all "their money" that they are losing.

Level would be good, productive, and technologies would fit where they live or die out, not because some ill informed politician decides how the future should look.

As would I with wind and solar having to contribute to grid stability rather than just moving energy without ancillary services...and being distruptive like the flakey nature of wind.

Solar in Oz got "greenhouse credits" to the value of 5 times the lifetime CO2 saving (gross), 60c feed in tarrifs (wholesale prices of 4c, and retail of 25c at the time)...they are now getting given wholesale rates, and realistic CO2 credits, and all the owners are crying about all "their money" that they are losing.

Level would be good, productive, and technologies would fit where they live or die out, not because some ill informed politician decides how the future should look.

What I am saying is that with even playing field, the renewables would have even more incentive to progress with energy storage solutions. The key to stability is to be able to store the excess during peak generation. Since battery and energy storage is leaping forward in recent years, it really isn't an unfeasible pipe dream as it once was. We will see in the coming decade what makes the most sense, regardless of what we all think.

Money talks, and if energy reform can level the playing field, then the most economical method with regards to money and societal issues will prevail.

The bigger the system the less you have to worry about any one generator affecting the system. There is so much diversity and Its such an incredibly large rotating mass. Some wind is down while others are up. Some solar has sun others have clouds.

So a 600mw wind farm here going between 0 to 600 mW all day doesn't hurt a thing. It might push frequency .0001 fast or slow.

The bigger the system the less you have to worry about any one generator affecting the system. There is so much diversity and Its such an incredibly large rotating mass. Some wind is down while others are up. Some solar has sun others have clouds.

So a 600mw wind farm here going between 0 to 600 mW all day doesn't hurt a thing. It might push frequency .0001 fast or slow.

Don't confound AC frequency with power output.
Those are two different things.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Don't confound AC frequency with power output.
Those are two different things.

The argument against solar and wind is that it reaks havoc on frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back