The freebees today has been off the charts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I scored a 2 year old 22" Toro Recycler front drive with the 675 flat head Briggs for the cost of 8 miles of diesel fuel (on my Jetta TDI 40+mpg) and a Honda generator. The Toro from what I noticed loading it up needs a bath, the old gas dumped, air filter, spark plug, an oil change, and a new dipstick. All stuff I have laying around. A quick flip on that will cover most of the cost of the new Craftsman mower I sold her that she already paid in full. She assumed that me servicing her machine was too much and simply bought something new for $210 to avoid paying $60 in labor and parts on what she had... I wish I had money to burn like that.

The Honda generator needs new wheels and I assume other basic maintenance stuff. I haven't had the chance to actually look at it beyond I know it has compression. It's one of their big models, but it's so dirty I don't even know which model it is, how old or which engine is on it. I may keep it for my house or sell it to make a quick buck. What a start to the week. Who else has had big money literally put in their hand for nothing?

Nice score! I wish I lived closer to civilization where I could find some good stuff like that. I'm always on the hunt for a commercial Lawnboy or Toro Turfmaster.

My neighbor bought a brand new snow blower about 5 years ago, used it for that winter, then let it sit for 4 years.When she couldn't get it started she asked me if I wanted it. I told her I could get it running for a few $$$, but she just wanted me to get it out of her garage, for free. A quick carb cleaning, and some fresh gas and my son moved alot of snow with his new blower with less then 2 hours run time on it. Must be nice to have money to give away.,,,

It isn't even about location. It was pure luck. I wasn't looking for them. It was simply helping out my customers. She said she was going to put her mower to the curb and asked me how much it cost to deliver. I said, give me the mower and I'll pay the delivery charge (I'm not going to charge myself $15). Our company has seen double digit increases in traffic since Sears Hardware announced it's closing next month. As I tell our regulars, Sears isn't doing us any favors closing. We don't have the capacity to handle the influx. We only have 1 register right now and won't have a second until the end of the month. Our manual orders this week exceeded 500 individual SKUs and our max last year was 170. That's just a hint of how much busier we've become.

Sears operated a 25,000 sq ft store where we operate a 5,000 sq ft store front with an 8,000 sq ft storage/service basement and we simply can't handle the influx. We missed out on the opportunity of opening up a larger store years ago with a 15,000 sq ft sales front with a 3,000 sq ft service area simply because we weren't printing money like we are now and still had 4 plumbing supply houses, 3 Home Depot/Lowes and 3 hardware stores within 3 miles. Today, we stand at 2 plumbing supplies, 3 Home Depot/Lowes and 1 hardware store. 48 years in and the company has never been in better shape.

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
Our company has seen double digit increases in traffic since Sears Hardware announced it's closing next month.

"Our company?" I thought you were a 1-man show.

My service and used stuff is mine and operated out of my house or selectively from the store. The only time I'm forced is on warranty and I get the full shop rate. The company is multi family with 3 generations involved.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Nice score! I wish I lived closer to civilization where I could find some good stuff like that. I'm always on the hunt for a commercial Lawnboy or Toro Turfmaster.

Same here. I dont live too much out in the sticks, but I always HEAR about that Lawn Boy that was sitting on the curb. Never physically see it.

I did score a commercial LB off CL last year for $80. Keep any eye out. They arent as rare as they appear. Unless you live in Kalifornia.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

Same here. I dont live too much out in the sticks, but I always HEAR about that Lawn Boy that was sitting on the curb. Never physically see it.

I did score a commercial LB off CL last year for $80. Keep any eye out. They arent as rare as they appear. Unless you live in Kalifornia.

Yeah, I keep an eye on Craigslist too. It's very rural up here, and fewer homeowners means fewer push mowers. Still, I'd love a Lawnboy 22260. Maybe I'll find one someday.

May or may not have found an old aluminum deck lawnboy pushed to the curb and looking for someone to care for it... They do exist!

Blade looks like they mowed rocks for the last two decades and didn't sharpen it but it appears to be a runner.

My last 3 mowers came from Craigslist Free stuff. I've gotten fussy, It has to be a Toro or an LB. Craftsmen and MTD don't even get noticed. I also hunt old Ariens 24"snow thros I have 3 parts and a runner that I put a Predator on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back