2006 PT...how long for oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello community before i go nuts with my father about oil change intervals can I get your input.

2006 pt crusier 150000 miles....mainly all highway driving

Uses Penzoil full synthetic and the fram ultra oil filter, how many miles can we go to be safe between oil changes....

My wife had a 2005 for a few years- great vehicle, good engine, lousy automatic transmission (never had a problem, but the ratios are horribly matched to the engine and vehicle).

The EDZ engine really is solid (replace the timing belt if it hasn't been done!) and 10k intervals would work. Watch out for oil consumption- the PCV system tends to suck up a lot of oil mist on these cars, unless they corrected it for 2006. I put a "catch and release" can on ours- it would trap a few tablespoons of oil on every drive, then drain it back into the crankcase on shutdown. Drastically cut oil consumption between changes.

From my experience and UOAs, I would guess a minimum of 15,000 miles between changes. I go over 10,000 most times and I don't do much highway miles and I use cheap oil. Check the oil level and you have nothing to worry about.

Yes on the oil consumption....rediculous he bought it new the dealer said youll have too add more oil occassionaly....i mean really that isnt efficient at all....i might look into the catch can....how did u do that

RMS leak could be a problem on that engine. If yours doesn't leak and you don't have to add much between changes, 10k OCI should be no sweat. If you're constantly adding oil, might as well stretch to at least 15k OCI. High mileage oil might be the way to go if leaking. In that case, Valvoline MaxLife red bottle should be fine for 7500 mile OCI with mostly highway running.

I may do this with my 2010 Chrysler Sebring with 110k on it. I've used Penn Platinum since I bought it three yeas ago with 40k. Always use Platinum 5w20 with either Wix or Pure1 filters. But now I'm switching to Fram Ultra filters. I drive probably 80/20 highway/city. So 7500-10k sound good for the intervals?

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: HIGHGROOVE
Yes on the oil consumption....rediculous he bought it new the dealer said youll have too add more oil occassionaly....i mean really that isnt efficient at all....i might look into the catch can....how did u do that

All you have to do is make a "fat spot" in the PCV hose to slow the air down. I put a clear mesh fuel filter in the line. Make sure the air is normally flowing UPWARD through the trap- oil will gurgle around the bottom but won't make it out the top. Then when you shut the engine off, it drains back into the sump.

Wife's PT is long gone, but I still have a picture of the oil trap in my photobucket:

IMG_0212.jpg

Originally Posted By: HIGHGROOVE
Hello community before i go nuts with my father about oil change intervals can I get your input.

2006 pt crusier 150000 miles....mainly all highway driving

Uses Penzoil full synthetic and the fram ultra oil filter, how many miles can we go to be safe between oil changes....

Fram Ultra is the best, full agreement there, a wire-backed media, high-performing oil filter made to go the distance. I say do 10,000 mile or 1-year oil changes on that combo. Also, I'd recommend switching to Castrol Edge Extended Performance (or Mobil1 EP) to make sure the most additive/base-stock is thriving. Its only about a couple bucks more expensive in the 5-quart jugs at Walmart, Amazon (free shipping if spend over $50 total).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back