No oil change mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I paid for my Honda HRX push mower (bought new), I change the oil every spring with Rotella (5w-40 or 15w-40).

I warm up the engine, tilt and suck the oil out the fill tube. Wish they provided a drain plug under the deck.

I think this is a dangerous attitude---this is going to lead the un-informed to believe all OPE engines are 'lubed for life'. Just as drivers have gotten used to the OLM, if they drove a car without one it may go its entire life without an oil change

Originally Posted By: steve20
I think this is a dangerous attitude---this is going to lead the un-informed to believe all OPE engines are 'lubed for life'. Just as drivers have gotten used to the OLM, if they drove a car without one it may go its entire life without an oil change

It seems that a fair amount of people already think that way about OPE
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

I'm sure they simply want it to be a disposable product. As such, I'd expect the quality of the internal components to be bottom of the barrel, low.

In my mind, those engines would be the specific ones to avoid.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I think this is a dangerous attitude---this is going to lead the un-informed to believe all OPE engines are 'lubed for life'.

90% of the general public don't change the oil in their mowers anyways. This new "marketing" strategy (that's what it is, nothing more) just confirms what people already do anyways.

I would pass on this mower and find something on CL. It'd be interesting to see how long this engine would last though. OPE engines don't really care on oil as long as it's topped off anyways. Hopefully it has a fill hole, and if not, hopefully it doesn't consume oil. Lol.

Ehh. I never have to change the oil on the mowers I use on a regular basis. They're called Lawn Boys. I really wish Toro would remove head from sphincter and develop a Strato-Charged or buy the tech from Redmax modern 2 cycle mower. The power those motors could make would be incredible. Redmax get 3-5 hp in less than 70cc, imagine what they could get in 160-190cc.

In regards to the no oil change mower, isn't that what the average owner does anyway?

I dunno. If it's supposed to last 12 years without an oil change, it ought to last a lifetime with seasonal oil changes. Sounds like a good deal.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: PhilsSmallEngine
Ehh. I never have to change the oil on the mowers I use on a regular basis. They're called Lawn Boys. I really wish Toro would remove head from sphincter and develop a Strato-Charged or buy the tech from Redmax modern 2 cycle mower. The power those motors could make would be incredible. Redmax get 3-5 hp in less than 70cc, imagine what they could get in 160-190cc.

In regards to the no oil change mower, isn't that what the average owner does anyway?

I thought about my lawn boy too. Did any of the 2 stroke motors ever have oil injection? I would think a simple gravity feed system would work, but I guess adding gas and oil separately (nevermind premixing) is too much work...

Ehh. I never have to change the oil on the mowers I use on a regular basis. They're called Lawn Boys.

Those smokey traps. Glad when i didn't have to mow with one anymore.

Originally Posted By: NH73

They only smoke on startup and at most the first 30 seconds of warm up when they're tuned right. There was an oil injected version called the M series and were exceptionally rare.

I think this Briggs "no oil change" engine is some kind of internet joke. It can't be for real as no one will take the company seriously ever again if they market this idiotic thing. Their brand has already suffered bad enough in recent years, and they want to make things worse? I can't see even the average consumer being that dumb.

I just read it day before yesterday in an OPE trade magazine as a statement released from Briggs, so yes I believe it is real. They (Briggs) said that due to increased air filter sealing and precision machining changing the oil would not be needed. And I really don't think it was an april fools joke. Although I personally will never not change the oil in anything.

Originally Posted By: NH73

They only smoke on startup and at most the first 30 seconds of warm up when they're tuned right. There was an oil injected version called the M series and were exceptionally rare.

Mine has no visible smoke either once running for a minute, I find its exhaust is only slightly more annoying than my 40 year old 5hp briggs tiller, but I think they use about the same amount of oil...
In any case I try to stay up wind of pretty much every motor I use.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
As said here before, the smell of Lawn Boy exhaust is the smell of victory.

+1, mine smokes a bit at start-up and clears up pretty fast. It's 24 years old and still going strong. The EPA will have to pry my cold dead hands off of the handle bar
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back