Transmission pan gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gaskets do you guys prefer?

A quick Google search showed the OEM to be around $60. Meyle and Felpro each have one around $10. I already have the rubber one that came with the filter btw.

The vehicle in question is the 2004 Audi A4.

The gaskets from the filter kids have a rep of being terrible: leaking, and letting the pan deform if the bolts are overtorqued the tiniest amount. The OE gasket has crush limiter doohickeys built in.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Anything wrong with the rubber one that came with the filter?

Not that I can see, but it was folded to fit into the box and they don't seem to unfold and seat properly.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The gaskets from the filter kids have a rep of being terrible: leaking, and letting the pan deform if the bolts are overtorqued the tiniest amount. The OE gasket has crush limiter doohickeys built in.

I lied. Doesnt look like the OEM gasket fits this transmission.

The closest one I have found is this and is probably comparable to the felpro.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-vw-auto-trans-oil-pan-gasket-01v321371my

The rubber ones I have used seemed to hold up fine. I put a very thin amount of Ultra silicone on it and don't over torque the pan bolts.

I like Felpro.

The one I got for my truck did not have the crush limiting pins, but the gasket was nice and thick and packaged flat in a cardboard box. Most of the ones supplied with aftermarket filters seem really thin in comparison.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I like Felpro.

The one I got for my truck did not have the crush limiting pins, but the gasket was nice and thick and packaged flat in a cardboard box. Most of the ones supplied with aftermarket filters seem really thin in comparison.

Did you use permatex too?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
I like Felpro.

Did you use permatex too?

Nope, just the gasket by itself...no sealers or RTV. I am very careful with tightening the bolts, making several passes in a criss crossing pattern, but I don't torque them to a spec (doesn't seem critical to do so in my application). I put the gasket in November of 2013, and it hasn't leaked a drop.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
OP, are you sure the factory gasket isn't re-usable? The one on my my car even has it stamped right into the pan that it's designed to be re-used.

Not too sure as I havent opened it up yet. I assume its the original ATF, but who knows.

If I can reuse the gasket I will, but I just dont want to be in a bind if the pan is off and I have no gasket.

To RF Overlord: Big coincidence here.
You said, "OP, are you sure the factory gasket isn't re-usable? The one on my my car even has it stamped right into the pan that it's designed to be re-used."

I ordered (shipped today) a trannie filter and gasket for my friend's Ford truck. While double checking things he noticed "reusable gasket" stamped on his pan as well. Must be a Ford thing.

We concluded that maybe, if you were going into the transmission once or twice after using the gasket it would be forgiving enough to reuse.

After 18 years (12 in the OP's case) neither of us thought reusing the gasket was a reasonable thing to do.

Even the "channel fit" gaskets I've had on Japanese cars dry out and stiffen with time. Kira

somewhere in the shop is a gasket for the 4hp22 the BMWs use. The last D+F,I re-used the gasket because it was perfect. The current 528e developed a leak from a torn seal. It used 5 qts of ATF to drive the 20 miles/40 minutes to the shop. I haven't touched it since.

I wouldn't use a rubber pan gasket unless it was reinforced with an inner steel shim. But if your transmission fluid pan has a recess like a valve cover for the gasket to sink down into, then an un-reinforced rubber gasket is ok.

What filter kit did you buy that has a rubber gasket? The only one I've found for my A6 is the Autozone house brand one, and they package it in a large enough box that it doesn't get folded over. It's actually the only gasket that I have used that didn't leak outside of the OE. The OE one is not reusable.

The lousy paper gaskets didn't even last 10k miles before leaking. It's tough when the torque value of the pan bolts is 7Nm. I think that's about 5ft/lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back