2004 Corolla Timing chain tensioner release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help please. 2004 Toyota Corolla. Changing O ring on the timing chain tensioner have reinstalled it on engine. Which way do I turn the crankshaft to release (uncage) the tensioner.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I don't remember from when I did it, but from an online guide:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Toyot...uide/index.html

The final step is to rotate the alternator nut back and forth a bit to turn over the engine and release the timing chain tensioner. Use a 22m socket and ratcheting wrench on the alternator and move it around until you see the belt move and you hear a distinct "click" sound. That indicates that the timing chain tensioner has been popped off the black metal hook and is now ready for normal operation.

I changed my tensioner out a few weeks ago and just wiggled the alternator bolt to get the serpentine belt to move a little back and forth and I heard the click. It didn't take much wiggling to get the thing to release.

Thanks guys. I found in the Haynes manual to turn the crankbolt/engine clockwise and heard the click after about 90 degrees. Confirmed it as I have the valve cover off.

Saw that alternator trick but mine would only turn the crankshaft oneway. the other direction the belt would slide on the crankshaft pulley.

Good day and Thanks.

Last edited:
I had a oil leak. It was either the tensioner O-ring or the valve cover gasket. Replaced both, just put it back together.
Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but what I did was put it in 5th gear; parking brake off and rock the car back and fourth.
I also do this to turn an engine for measuring valve clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back