duralube/ stp green any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by wally world and got 2 duralube ucl and 5 stp ethanol fo 1.50 a piece on the clearance rack wondering how good they are?

From Wikipedia:

The company along with several others including Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment, STP Engine Treatment, and Motor Up Corporation, was investigated by the Federal Trade Commission in 1999-2000 and was found to have no competent or reliable evidence substantiating these claims about its performance.[3] In March 2000, Dura Lube and competitor Motor Up both settled Federal Trade Commission charges that performance claims for their engine treatments were deceptive and unsubstantiated. The two settlements barred false and unsubstantiated claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy, or attributes of these products. In addition, As one of several industry companies penalized by the FTC, Dura Lube paid $2 million in consumer redress to be distributed by the FTC. The FTC had previously halted allegedly deceptive ads for Prolong Engine Treatment, Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment and STP Engine Treatment.

Any products offered by these companies are simply an attempt to take money from your wallet and put it in theirs.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
From Wikipedia:

The company along with several others including Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment, STP Engine Treatment, and Motor Up Corporation, was investigated by the Federal Trade Commission in 1999-2000 and was found to have no competent or reliable evidence substantiating these claims about its performance.[3] In March 2000, Dura Lube and competitor Motor Up both settled Federal Trade Commission charges that performance claims for their engine treatments were deceptive and unsubstantiated. The two settlements barred false and unsubstantiated claims about the performance, benefits, efficacy, or attributes of these products. In addition, As one of several industry companies penalized by the FTC, Dura Lube paid $2 million in consumer redress to be distributed by the FTC. The FTC had previously halted allegedly deceptive ads for Prolong Engine Treatment, Valvoline Engine Treatment, Slick 50 Engine Treatment and STP Engine Treatment

That doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't do anything.

As long as you don't overdue the dose these 2 products will not do any damage. When you've used them up you can follow up with Chevron or Red Line to clean up what they leave behind.

Their claims are just marketing, no need or proof. If not for that you might never take them home. They can hope the product does something useful or at least getting the placebo effect and besides, how are you really going to evaluate what they do inside your engine. If you're not impressed, at least you purchased the first bottle(s).

Originally Posted By: robo339
Stopped by wally world and got 2 duralube ucl and 5 stp ethanol fo 1.50 a piece on the clearance rack wondering how good they are?

At $1.50 a piece you're fine. I don't know what Duralube is these days but I know Slick50 bears little resemblance to its famous 1990's era Teflon "snake oil". I think since Quaker State bought it, they've simply have turned it into a carrier oil for an additives boost that seemed pretty decent. But it's overpriced and useless as a result as one might as well just put that money towards a syn. Is it "snake oil?" IMO, no. Would I pay what they ask for it at retail or actually add it to my oil? NO!!

I suspect Duralube is something similar...

Last edited:
This is the upper cylinder lube and the stp ethanol fuel system cleaner not oil addetive I run alot of ethanol since I get it free I figured a 2 $ a piece it was worth the try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back