car tool box kit - which?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
Have lost (don't know how} my small car tool kit. Want to start again and get two or three (incl. gift). Not sure of price, but prefer $50 or less each, can go $100 if makes a big difference in capability. Just thinking what and where. Any thoughts as to best value package? Thanks!

Do you want all in one or would you buy a box and put needed stuff in?

Father's day is just around the corner. There'll be some real junk but some gems on clearance once it's over.

I had a dedicated set of tools which I lugged around for forty some years. Never had a need. Same with fire extinguisher except I used it twice on other vehicles. Haven't used the extinguisher in years but the gauge still reads in the green. Currently, I carry a 8" adjustable jaw, a pair of aviation snips, a combination screw driver with eight or ten bits and 8" slip joint pliers. Also a small roll of gorilla tape, a small roll of tie wire, a red flag and twine and a first aid kit that came out of a 1953 Mountain Bell truck(with more up to date contents). I doubt if I will ever use any of it.

I'm a mechanic and I the only tool in my car is an air pressure gauge. What are you going to do if your starter dies 100 miles from home? Pull some jack stands and a floor jack out of your trunk? I suggest wasting the money on a AAA membership if you drive a jalopy.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Lowes sells a nice 19 piece kit,
with a 3/8 ratchet.

Six point sockets, no rounded bolts...

$18...

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Metric-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-with-Hard-Case-19-Piece/3364142

Yup get that, a vise grips, utility knife, $6 bluetooth OBDII reader, flashlight, gloves, paper towels, universally small wiper blade (fits any car, keeps scratches off the windscreen) cheater pipe, and the free HF 6 piece screwdriver assortment.

A spare wheel and jack make sense to carry, and some fuses and bulbs too, but even if you put all your tools in your car what are the chances of carrying th spare you need?

I keep a starter, alternator, aux belt, dizzy, cap, arm plugs and leads in my car along with jump leads, a spare wheel, fuel can and a 3/8 socket set. Never needed to use any of it. It makes more sense to keep the membership card for your breakdown service in the glovebox..

I bought a Chinese (I know.. I know..) Craftsman set for around $45 around Thanksgiving 2013.

http://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-PIECE-STANDARD-MECHANICS-TOOL/dp/B007C6LKKE

It has everything I'd need for an entry level parking lot/ roadside repair. Good for taking to the junkyard too.

FWIW, I saw a link posted of a test that was done a few years ago. The Chinese 1/2" ratchet was actually tougher than the US made ratchet. IIRC, the best bang for your buck was the HF ratchet though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I bought a Chinese (I know.. I know..) Craftsman set for around $45 around Thanksgiving 2013.

Not your fault Craftsman went to the dark side...

They did a good job keeping the prices up though. Not too sure how well its working for their business strategy though.
crackmeup2.gif

To those of you who have Sears gift cards, use them ASAP. Lol.

Years ago I sewed up a tool wrap. It's a piece of vinyl fabric with little pockets and I've transferred that from car to car. Rarely have call for it but it's comforting to have it, it doesn't take much space, and I use it once in a great while. I'd recommend a couple of screwdrivers (Phillips & straight blade), pliers, adjustable wrench, diagonal cutters and a knife. I have some combination wrenches in the wrap, but shouldn't have bothered with them, never used them. I wouldn't bother with sockets either. Just some "universal" tools.

I bought this set at Costco years ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK148MP-...escent+tool+kit

When I first brought it home, I road tested in the garage for a bunch of repair chores; starter and alternator replacements, battery removal (the Lumina requires the air box to be removed), hose replacements and other jobs that may me encountered on the road. Can't really cover everything that might happen on the road but I think it has enough stuff in the case for emergencies and has gotten me home a few times without too much hassle.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I'm a mechanic and I the only tool in my car is an air pressure gauge. What are you going to do if your starter dies 100 miles from home? Pull some jack stands and a floor jack out of your trunk? I suggest wasting the money on a AAA membership if you drive a jalopy.

Having AAA or some kind of towing plan, is one plan. Typically they want to tow to a garage and not your home. If that's OK with you, go for it.

My wife's car's starter died 20 miles from home at her work. I bought one at the auto parts store across the street, and replaced it in the parking lot using just the tools that were with me. Didn't even have to jack it up. It took about 45 minutes, taking my time.

The plastic tool kit carriers can work, if they fit nicely some place in your car. If not, I prefer a tool bag to a tool box, as they don't rattle and take up less room. You'll suffer lack of organization when you need it, but you can make up for it in various ways- keep your sockets on a clip-on organizer, your wrenches on a cheap carabiner, etc.

The Crescent set mentioned is a good deal, and at least the tools are made in Taiwan instead of PRC (a matter of personal preference).

Two things I would add- first, a close quarter hacksaw handle and a few blades. The reason, often after a minor fender bender the front or rear bumper cover falls off except for one corner. Often it is easier and faster to just cut it off at the hang point than find the fastener, which may be buried under the splash guard or folded sheet meta. Second, a hammer, to beat the sheet metal away from your tire so it doesn't interfere. Having those two tools can mean the difference between driving home and getting a rollback.

Thankfully i have a family friend in the towing business. Lol.

If it isn't too big of a deal, I'd hope to get a ride from someone and fix it myself. We also have a car hauler I could winch the Jeep up onto.

I think a car emergency kit is something that will be more useful. Jumper cables, gloves, reflector, flare, flashlight, spare tire in can, tow strap, first aid items. Fire ext.

I carry more tools in my boat as there you may well need to fix something if you are stranded.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I have used my vehicle tool kit a couple of times on the road. I once snapped a belt for the alternator and water pump. I called a nearby auto parts store and they delivered me a new belt with no delivery charge. (I now carry spare belts) I was able to fix my car in a parking lot for the cost of the belt with my very basic tool kit.

More recently I had a check engine light come on while about 150 miles from home. I got the P code and diagnosed and fixed the problem right there in a parking lot. A smart phone and an Alldata.com subscription helps when troubleshooting P codes. With my multimeter I was able to determine that my camshaft position sensor was working correctly, it just needed a cleaning. I was on the road in about 10 minutes.

I prefer making custom kits with the most useful tools rather than the kits you get at the store in a blow molded case. Since the tools spend most of their time in the trunk, Harbor Freight type tools are good enough. I carry sockets, ratchets, combo wrenches, pliers, multimeter, spare electrical wire, zip ties, etc. This might be a bit more expensive than some of the cheaper blow molded kits, but more useful in my opinion.

This $20 14" husky tool bag is perfect for a car tool kit...
d2f4326f-2c3c-4c29-b593-fa6c3ed667fc_400.jpg

Last edited:
My toolbox is a Craftsman with a single tray on top that you can take out.I got it in 1969 for Christmas and I have added tools yhat I find at garage sales.
I have used tools in it to do many repairs over the years.
Most of the original wrenches and sockets are in my larger box in my garage.
Good tools made back then.

I have kept a cheapo $20 or so tool kit in each of my cars. But yeah, if/when the car broke down, out came the AAA card. What the kits shined in though was the odd random job, either around the house or when away from home. Having both sae and metric is good in case you visit someone and find you need to tighten a bolt on their wheelbarrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back