would you feel guilty ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im trading in my Polaris Ranger on a new Kawasaki Teryx 4 seater. The salesman is my friend and we hang out every few months and drink beer. He is familiar with my machine and accessories (that you can see from the outside). He worked me up a very good trade in deal on my machine. that said I told him I was removing my gun rack but otherwise would leave the machine alone. Well, I txt messaged him and asked if it would be a deal killer if I removed the only one month old LED light bar I just installed on the bumper. He says "Yeah man, no problem, take it" so I took it off.. Well another item he doesn't know about is on the machine. A battery separator & spare battery. There is no use for the separator with no winch on the machine, and the winch was not part of the deal.. Im tempted to pull it off and just not mention it, or should I ? The shop has not inspected my machine and the numbers deal is already agreed upon. However yes its bugging me.. should I ask about removing something else ? even mention it ? what say you ?

If the written invoice for the transaction does not stipulate those accessories are included I would hand over the stock machine which is no doubt what the trade in value is based upon. Buyers can be wary of non-factory "modifications".

Last edited:
I wouldn't give it a second thought. Besides if the dealer finds it they will most likely take it out anyway.

Salesman will probably never even know it was there if you left it. He shouldn't care one way or the other.

Salesman is done with the sale when the sale is done. He won't be affected anyway.

Last edited:
Its what is written on the contract. Id consider compensating for the lights since that was seen and he's throwing you a bone to make the sale on something that makes the exterior functions and aesthetics. But in reality, the contract language is the contract language.

Hello, So there is a winch on the machine "which isn't part of the deal". That's out in the open and agreed upon.
The separator, I assume, is part and parcel of a winch.
ERGO concluding there is a separator is logical.
Continuing upstream, is it safe to assume there would be another battery?
If it's all "winch" take it out.

Since you drink beer with this guy who hooked you up so well I think it might be helpful to retention that the winch and light bar will be gone.

Seems pretty simple to me. Communicate completely now. "The whole truth" as it were.

AND, I completely agree with what the people above have said.

What was EXACTLY mentioned it to your friend? Is there indeed a contract in writing?
Are there common sense inclusions in a deal like this? Don't be a "half-truth telling creep". That's what politicians do.

BUT, leaving anything already installed on any vehicle can reduce niggling work and everybody wins-even if the price has to be tweaked. Think about a car which has been per-wired for trailer brakes or lighting.

I think you've just overthunk this. Does "winch" include its battery and separator? Kira

no contract yet, just a verbal agreement. Other than him drinking beer at my house and going for a ride on it, Its gone through no inspections, nothings written. He got with his boss and they worked me up a price and threw it at me via txt message. I came inside and looked over the new machine. We chatted just a bit more, I said id bring my machine in a do the deal tomorrow.. As for my machine he hasn't stipulated anything, I simply said id leave it alone. (referencing a lot of aftermarket lights/accessories)

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, So there is a winch on the machine "which isn't part of the deal". That's out in the open and agreed upon.
The separator, I assume, is part and parcel of a winch.
ERGO concluding there is a separator is logical.
Continuing upstream, it's safe to I assume there would be another battery.

Since you drink beer with this guy who hooked you up so well I think it's imperative to ask him if he understood the hardware of the winch comes off with the winch.

Seems pretty simple to me. Communicate completely now. "The whole truth" as it were.

Mention it to your friend. Really simple.
Also, leaving anything already installed on any vehicle can reduce niggling work and everybody wins-even if the price has to be tweaked.

I think you've just overthunk this. Unless, of course, you're a latent rip-off artist. (Ha-Ha) Kira

No, the winch is new in the box, never installed. I did however just install the model specific winch mounting plate, and snow plow mounting plate (and they are staying on the machine). The extra battery and separator was originally for the aftermarket lighting. However yes I will use it on the new winch... also not mentioned is I will drop another $600-$1,000 in accessories in the first few months through the shop on this new machine (like replacing the brand new never used winch and plow mounts)

Last edited:
I found myself stumbling over words (happens frequently).
Actually, learning which battery supports what option (as well as the surprise snowplow) was fragmentarily exposed here.
How 'bout this? Proceed with the terms already spoken and don't lie.

Any questions from either party? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
We're supposed to be human beings which communicate.

I wouldn't call myself a liar, the machine is equipped with a roof, windshield, aftermarket tires/rims, lights, a cage with 4 KC style lights, Winch mount, plow mount, BLA, BLA,BLA, I put the separator on the machine when I added the bar lights, just to protect the factory battery. I wouldn't say it was necessary at the time, I new down the road I would add a winch and it would be needed (my train of thought)

"I wouldn't call myself a liar" came out wrong.. However it feels dishonest removing anything after I said I would leave it alone.. makes me uncomfortable. However it was for the winch, so.. Its not model specific like the things I am leaving on the machine..

AGHHH.. ill probably leave it on now and just buy another..

I'd turn it in stock if there's nothing stipulated in a written trade-in agreement.

OTOH, I am amazed at the size of some of these machines and the stuff you can bolt/hang on them.

Things have come a long way since I owned my 1985 Yamaha 225 DX 3-wheeler back in 1985. 4-wheelers were just coming out. LOL.

You youngsters don't know how good you have it.
Back in the late '60's there were truly weird fiberglass tubs with huge, derfy balloon tires as the only available ATV's.

I wish I had a picture of those ugly things. People would clamor around them at car shows.
Can't even remember what kind of engine they had.

No need for a winch. Your Grandmother (like me) could lift one end off the ground. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back