Leather care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's a good cleaner for leather seats?

Also a conditioner? I have read about silicone free only products. My leather gets very dirty, I have a 3yr old and a 1 yr old that spill food and drink on the seats. But I did get black leather.

2014 durango limited black interior.

Thanks!

Most leather is coated in vinyl, and only the parts your body touches, the rest is straight glorified vinyl, most of the leather care products are just regular automotive vinyl cleaner/conditioner.

I haven't used them all, but really like Lexol for it's cleaning ability and natural leather smell.

lexol-leather-products-6.gif

I use a diluted solution of Woolite and water to clean my leather. Then use a dedicated leather conditioner afterwards,don't use a vinyl protectant as it can damage the stitching.

My favorite is Armor All Leather Care (in the spray bottle). Been using it since the 90s.

I use a CRC product call "Tannery" which is sold as a leather/vinyl clear/conditioner. The places I used to get it locally quit carrying it so I have been ordering it on line. Regards

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I'm mean, I never let any of my kids eat or drink in the car, except something dry and plain like cheerios.

Well, we have to drive 12hr one way to visit my in-laws, and that happens about 4 times a year. And drive 3.5 hrs every other weekend in summer to our place up north. It's unavoidable in our situation.

I've heard of the Lexol brand a lot. What places carry this stuff? Or is it online only?

I've never been a fan of armour all products, though I haven't used their leather care stuff.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
Most leather is coated in vinyl, and only the parts your body touches, the rest is straight glorified vinyl, most of the leather care products are just regular automotive vinyl cleaner/conditioner.

This is true. Unless you're referring to a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce, you can just use products designed to clean/protect vinyl.

I use the Griot's leather conditioner on my coated leather seats because my wife likes the smell of it.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
I've heard of the Lexol brand a lot. What places carry this stuff? Or is it online only?

I've never been a fan of armour all products, though I haven't used their leather care stuff.

Around here, anybody that carries saddles and bridle type supplies stocks it. I don't know about Wisconsin.

I drive all day and multi day trips too, we just stop for 20 minutes every few hours or so. But to answer the question I've had good luck with Lexol products on more utilitarian leather, boots & saddles.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Walmart has all the Lexol brand stuff.

...as well as Autozone here.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Walmart has all the Lexol brand stuff.

...as well as Autozone here.

Got my Lexol at AZ too.

Most of that stuff just leaves a big mess and transfers onto your clothes.

Opti-Guard Interior or CQuartz Leather Coating are the only two that are worth using, IMO. They do not leave an oily residue and have very, very good dirt/water resistance.

I use a diluted solution of Woolite and water to clean my leather.

One of the old timer solutions that the newbies have no idea about. The ORIGINAL Woolite will clean leather beyond your expectations. Been there, done that, put the checks in the bank.

I use wax to clean the leather in my car.

Specifically a spray-on wax which takes the dirt with itwhen I wipe it off.

Real leather aswell, not the vinyl stuff.

While I agree with woolite in terms of washing the interior, if you want to REALLY clean and condition your leather I recommend leatherique. They have a cleaner and a conditioner. It will take the better part of a weekend but wow does it do a great job. Not cheap but even if you do this system once a year and condition periodically you will have great leather for many years.

Leather Masters Rapid Cleaner and Protection Cream--clean and protect!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back