Private Party sales - KBB vs NADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Looking at a value of an 02 Avalon. I get roughly 4900.00 using KBB, and 6750.00 using NADA.

Which is the most appropriate way to determine the value of a private party sale?

Thanks.

Local Craigslist or local market website(s).

If you are seller you may like to split the 2 KBB and NADA. If you are buyer try to get as close to KBB as possible.

Yes, the seller is pretty much right in the middle of the two values.

My thinking, though, is that 'retail' for NADA should be for dealer sales --correct?

Thus, a 3rd party sale, should be close to the KBB value.

Value is value...what makes the difference who is selling the cat.
Why if the dealer sells my car it suddenly becomes worth $2000 more.
Just wondering

Smoky

NADA is used for loan value, and their "retail" is what you would pay at a dealership.

NADA - dealer sales
KBB - private sales

IMHO of course.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Just wondering

Generally, folks are more comfortable buying cars at dealerships because they believe they have less of a chance of buying a reconstructed car, have less of a chance of buying something that'll blow up on the way home, and are sometimes offered a warranty at a dealership. Additionally, it's often easier to deal with dealers if you have a trade or if a private seller's car still has a lien. For these comforts and conveniences, folks are often willing to pay more. Whether or not these additional value-adds are real or perceived probably depends on the situation.

You can look at it from the perspective that dealerships mark the cars up compared with private sellers, or you can look at it from the perspective that private sellers have to discount their cars compared with dealers to attract buyers. Either way you look at it...it's the same thing. On average, folks prefer to buy from dealers. We know this to be the case because dealers, on average, get more for used cars than private sellers do.

Edit: some of the things that you can do, as a private seller, to more equalize the playing field:

1) Don't try to sell a car with a lien still on it (you don't have the title). This adds uncertainty to the situation for prospective buyers.

2) Clean the car to better-than-new. How often do you see something on Craigslist and it looks like the guy just got back from vacation when he took the picture? Maybe the picture's out of focus or it's foggy. Recondition your car at a professional level (steam clean carpets, cloth seats, etc), take professional-quality pictures, etc.

3) Consider buying an extended and transferrable warranty to sell with the car. Not unlike you do when you're selling a home. Home buyers like home warranties. Used car buyers do, too.

4) Buy the Carfax and Autocheck and everything else appropriate and advertise that with the car.

Basically, do everything that a dealer will do to provide assurance to prospective buyers that YOUR car is the real deal. With these additional boxes checked, you should be able to close the gap of value between your car and a dealer's car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DriveHard
NADA is used for loan value, and their "retail" is what you would pay at a dealership.

NADA - dealer sales
KBB - private sales

IMHO of course.

When you look up a KBB price, one of the criteria you choose is whether it's a private party sale or purchased from a dealer. That impacts the ultimate price they'll quote for you.

But, you're correct that the NADA price is a dealer retail price.

So, KBB can give you their estimate of dealer or private party values while NADA only gives a dealer retail value.

Edmunds also has some values, but I've only looked at them a couple times.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Value is value...what makes the difference who is selling the cat.
Just wondering

Smoky

Unfortunately, no it is not. I usually buy cars from private parties just because they can be purchased for a lower cost than a dealer, especially when you are patient. A dealer removes the emotion from the deal. If you low-ball, they will generally just sit on the car. In a private party, at some point the seller gets tired of trying to get top dollar and capitulates, lowering their price. That said, I have yet to buy a car for KBB nor sell one for that. I have a tendency to over value what I want and undervalue what I am selling. Hence, my cars always sell pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back