Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Supertech synthetic is also Dexos certified and worth the consideration. It is all about personal preference. If spending $30-$35 on jug of oil that only meets API SN specs sounds like a good deal, then go for it.

Supertech isn't on the official dexos1 list: http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands
Maybe they meet it, maybe they don't, who knows?

GM must be getting rich off all the ransom they charge for all the officially licensed dexos1 products. The list is huge now!!!! Remember, dexos1 is just a minimum set of performance tests, not an actual elixir of any kind, so GM has found a racket. Many people in the general public think dexos1 is a specific oil brand-forumulation, its not. Not sure how much $$$ GM gets off each quart, I thought I once heard around a nickel per quart. Smart business I guess, kind of onerous.

GM makes about enough off the dexos licensing fee's to pay for administering the program. Maybe a little more. Their real business is selling cars for profit.

Agreed. My suspicion has always been that it's just a way to pay for the spec. Engineers might have wanted a spec and wanted something somewhat easy to follow. Marketing would agree with the easy to follow thing (i.e. a nice logo), and accounting would much more easily get on board with it if it paid for itself. GM is certainly not padding its dividends with dexos royalties.

So RP outperforms the rest? Any proof of that. Wait, I know the answer: No

Why dont you take a look at any VOA or UOA and tell me!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
So RP outperforms the rest? Any proof of that. Wait, I know the answer: No

Why dont you take a look at any VOA or UOA and tell me!

You can look at their PDS
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/wp-content/uploads/PS_API_MotorOIl.pdf

And see that they aren't THAT flash compared to their neighbours, and if they DO have a true PAO base, then they've messed up the cold weather performance of some of their grades woefully in their blending...e.g how can their 0W40 have 40% better pumping viscosity than their 0W20 ?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Supertech synthetic is also Dexos certified and worth the consideration. It is all about personal preference. If spending $30-$35 on jug of oil that only meets API SN specs sounds like a good deal, then go for it.

Supertech isn't on the official dexos1 list: http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands
Maybe they meet it, maybe they don't, who knows?

GM must be getting rich off all the ransom they charge for all the officially licensed dexos1 products. The list is huge now!!!! Remember, dexos1 is just a minimum set of performance tests, not an actual elixir of any kind, so GM has found a racket. Many people in the general public think dexos1 is a specific oil brand-forumulation, its not. Not sure how much $$$ GM gets off each quart, I thought I once heard around a nickel per quart. Smart business I guess, kind of onerous.

Those minimum specs are higher than the gf-5 designation which in my mind means they are specifying a product that is better than the typical norm.
I don't have any problems with GM charging for licensing.
Does it make the official products cost more at the check out? Certainly doesn't seem to so in reality who cares. Cost to consumer isn't increased for a higher minimum standard of performance.
It's actually a good idea. Better products for the same consumer cost.

It's plausible, if you look at RP's lineup history, Shannow. The 0w-40 and 5w-40 were not reformulated with the rest of the API line. It's very plausible that they still are Group IV. The rest of the API line may be PAO, but possibly not, and that might explain it. If the API line went to Group III with the switch to SN/GF-5 from SL, that might explain things.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
GM makes about enough off the dexos licensing fee's to pay for administering the program. Maybe a little more. Their real business is selling cars for profit.

Their real business is making money. Period. Do you really know they barely bring anything in via the dexos1 extortion "taxes"? Where is your proof they don't like more money.

Sorry, but they are not 'taxes' forcibly collected at the end of a gun barrel. The fees are paid voluntarily.

Their real business is making money. Period. Do you really know they barely bring anything in via the dexos1 extortion "taxes"? Where is your proof they don't like more money.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Sorry, but they are not 'taxes' forcibly collected at the end of a gun barrel. The fees are paid voluntarily.

"Voluntarily", if an oil wants to be on the dexos1 list that is.
When the cops arrest you in NYC, you had better go "voluntarily", or you don't play.
Usually an oil just has to pass performance tests ALONE, not pay ransom for just having a good oil.

Are you saying RP is in such poor financial situation that they can't afford the $4k for the dexos license? The API also charges a license so is the API also evil?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Are you saying RP is in such poor financial situation that they can't afford the $4k for the dexos license? The API also charges a license so is the API also evil?

Edit. I misread the article. The fee is not $4k.

Yet, if none of the oil companies ponied up the $$ for the VOLUNTARY fee for the 'license', then GM would be up a creek as the only oil available would be GM oil. I bet that wouldn't last long, cuz who would buy a car that REQUIRES you to buy THEIR oil to maintain warranty. That should be illegal. Oh, wait......

But all it takes is one company to cave and pony up the $$....

Originally Posted By: Brigadier

"Voluntarily", if an oil wants to be on the dexos1 list that is.
When the cops arrest you in NYC, you had better go "voluntarily", or you don't play.
Usually an oil just has to pass performance tests ALONE, not pay ransom for just having a good oil.

Originally Posted By: Garak
It's plausible, if you look at RP's lineup history, Shannow. The 0w-40 and 5w-40 were not reformulated with the rest of the API line. It's very plausible that they still are Group IV. The rest of the API line may be PAO, but possibly not, and that might explain it. If the API line went to Group III with the switch to SN/GF-5 from SL, that might explain things.

That was essentially my argument earlier. That SOME of the API line might be PAO-based. But some clearly aren't.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Yeah, I touched on that in another thread...tow of the lineup DO look like Mobil's blend chart would suggest...they others ???

I work at GM, and I know they like to make a profit. And I like it when they make a profit. Every quarter, management puts out a video going over the financial results, and they have never mentioned dexos licensing fees as making a noteworthy contribution to the bottom line.

Remember that this is brought to you by the same people that want to make it a "copyright infringement" to change your own oil...

Hey, intellectual property is not a new concept.

But IMO if it's released into the public domain by the thousands of copies it would seem pretty public...

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

RP API 0W20 / 5W20 / 5W30 oils actually carry official Dexos cert( the regular one not Dexos 2 ).

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back