Free SW to correct (barrel) distortion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any decent but free software to correct barrel and/or pin cushion distortion of photos?

I have a few decent pics that I'd like to have corrected, but don't want to pay for something like photoshop.

I could not work with IrfanView, somehow. It was a real PITA trying to figure that one out.

Thanks IA.

Gimp has a way. IIRC once you get your lens right you can save it as a preset. For all I know someone else may have even done the work and you can google your lens for what you need to do/ a plugin.

What camera and lens? Exit data? Tilt shift lenses are great for maintaining perspective. Lightroom and photoshop are both available as free downloads, may as well get yourself all the functionality of proper software, for free, to improve images and workflow. Or use better kit that isn't so prone to distortion.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Lightroom and photoshop are both available as free downloads, may as well get yourself all the functionality of proper software, for free, to improve images and workflow.

Since when are Lightroom and Photoshop free?

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I have a few decent pics that I'd like to have corrected, but don't want to pay for something like photoshop.

If you shoot in JPEG, then the saved images are already auto-corrected by the camera itself. It's only when you shoot RAW that the images need such lens correction in post processing.

Unless of course for some reason you need even more correction than what the auto-correct provides.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Lightroom and photoshop are both available as free downloads, may as well get yourself all the functionality of proper software, for free, to improve images and workflow.

Since when are Lightroom and Photoshop free?

Photoshop and Lightroom have been free since the advent of file sharing on the Internet. I have full copies of both and didn't pay for either of them.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks for the replies.
Will take a look at Gimp.
Like QP said, i knew that photoshop and lighroom are not free.

Here's the photo in question and exif data.

What I want to correct is the vertical lines of the book shelf on the right. Just want them straight, and not bulging outwards.

Just curious, was this photo cropped?

The reason I ask is that there is noticeable distortion on the right, but not on the left, and that will make it challenging to correct. If you send me the uncropped image, I can help you correct it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
LOL. Interesting explanation, Olas.

I'm only telling the truth Pete, I downloaded full copies of both for free.

Look at it like this - if you see a 10 dollar bill on the floor would you pick it up or walk past it?

Let me see if I follow your logic. You see a 911 parked on the street. The doors are unlocked and the keys are inside. So you take it and call it your own. Since you did not pay for it, therefore you conclude that a Porsche 911 is free.

With that said, Adobe does offer free trials of the aforementioned products.

Re the 911, the vehicle registration ties it to somebody, so I would not just jump in and drive away.
In the UK, we have something calLed the DVLA (driver & vehicle licensing agency) who hold the records to all cars registered in the country.
You can apply to the DVLA to ave a registration document issued in your name, at which point the DVLA attempt to contact the registered owner. If they can't make contact, they issue a new registration cert. in your name.
So no, I wouldn't just drive it away.

Re the 10 dollar bill on the floor - if somebody cares so little about there 10 dollars that they'll leave it on the floor, they won't mind if I pick it up off the floor. Effectively picking litter.

Re the software, you can pay to download it or you can download it for free - either way you end up with a copy of it. If the programmer didn't want it to be distributed freely they should have written more lines of security, and code that prevents uploading or downloading.

Kinda like how if you don't want your house to burgled, you don't leave the door open. If you want to stay safe you lock e door. The programmers didn't lock their door, so I'll exploit the weakness. Hopefully this should prompt them to be more thorough next time they want to release something for commercial reasons.

My point was, just because something is easy to steal does not give you the right to do it.

The software in question is protected by copyrights and enforced by well paid corporate lawyers.

aDSC_0359_zps2ocgb7fu.jpg

Done in gimp.

Some perspective/ shear to get the bookcase vertical on the right, and a little less shear on the left. It doesn't need as much shear on the left as the photographer was shooting the left side a little more straight-on. I did the perspective first as it was the most out-of-whack, then recognized an outward bow in the bookcase that needed pincushion to completely fix.

A little pincushion to undo the barrel, and try to get the window looking better. Yet, the window is open and the light gradient is something of an optical illusion.

The original:

DSC_0359.jpg

Re the 911, the vehicle registration ties it to somebody, so I would not just jump in and drive away.
In the UK, we have something calLed the DVLA (driver & vehicle licensing agency) who hold the records to all cars registered in the country.
You can apply to the DVLA to ave a registration document issued in your name, at which point the DVLA attempt to contact the registered owner. If they can't make contact, they issue a new registration cert. in your name.

Re the 10 dollar bill on the floor - if somebody cares so little about there 10 dollars that they'll leave it on the floor, they won't mind if I pick it up off the floor. Effectively picking litter.

Re the software, you can pay to download it or you can download it for free - either way you end up with a copy of it. If the programmer didn't want it to be distributed freely they should have written more lines of security, and code that prevents uploading or downloading.

Kinda like how if you don't want your house to burgled, you don't leave the door open. If you want to stay safe you lock e door. The programmers didn't lock their door, so I'll exploit the weakness. Hopefully this should prompt them to be more thorough next time they want to release something for commercial reasons.

After reading a post or two of yours in the Baltimore looting thread.....I am not at all surprised by your lack of ethics and misaligned concepts of justification.

Really a shame as you seem to be a fairly intelligent individual.

AH! Thanks so much, Jeff! Looks very nice now!
smile.gif

I am pretty sure the original was not cropped.

Will DL Gimp right now.

For some reason, when i DL Jeff's corrected image, it can't be opened (file corrupted message). But I have DL'd Gimp now and will give it a try myself.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

After reading a post or two of yours in the Baltimore looting thread.....I am not at all surprised by your lack of ethics and misaligned concepts of justification.

Really a shame as you seem to be a fairly intelligent individual.

Are you telling me you would actively walk past the ten dollar bill on the floor, ignoring it? Or do you mean you leave your house unlocked and hope nobody will burgle you?

The fact is that the software is out there for free - if you choose to pay for it that's up to you, but the analogy is having the coupons for the rebate but not using them because you want to pay full price.
In a free society, when faced with a variety of options we are free to choos the option most appealing to us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back