2012 kia optima 2.4L GDI, Transmission Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to share my experience. I bought a used 2012 optima last week with 40K miles. I have read that the transmission fluid is 100K fluid but others including my dealership recommends doing the change at 30K miles. This weekend i drained the fluid and filled up with proper fluid. The fluid that came out looked like used motor oil. It was medium brown, not nice and pink as i expected. No way would i leave that in there 100K miles.

I also own a 2013 that i bought new. Im going to change its fluid this weekend coming up. It has 37K miles on it now. Ill keep you posted as to what that looks like.

Now, on the 2012's ATF that looked like used motor oil, are you going to do another D&F soon?

Just curious!

CB
smile.gif

Last edited:
yes, i plan to run it probably a thousand miles or maybe on my next oil change and do it again.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
yes, i plan to run it probably a thousand miles or maybe on my next oil change and do it again.

Good. Keep D&F'ing until the fluid is as red as new fluid. Then move your interval out to 30K miles.

On the last D&F before you move to the 30K interval, add in some Lubegard Red.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz

Very Good!
smile.gif

I had the same experience back in 2009, when I did a drain/fill on the AT of the used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe I had purchased. That too was quite black. I did a few subsequent d/f's on it as well. I hope it's third owner appreciated it.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I had the same experience back in 2009, when I did a drain/fill on the AT of the used 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe I had purchased. That too was quite black. I did a few subsequent d/f's on it as well. I hope it's third owner appreciated it.

I'm sure they did, even if they hadn't realized it themselves!
smile.gif

Drain plug is toward the front drivers side of car, Mine is a 22mm plug and there is a slot in the plastic under-shield so you don't have to remove it. The fill hole is on the top of the trans axle. behind your air intake, look down there and you will see the fill hole. It is also 22mm plug. I used about 18 inches of extension to get it. You will need a very long funnel to fill it back up.

There is a good post that someone did on the optima forums that has links to pictures of the drain and fill plugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back