Comments on 2004 Mercedes S430 ~100K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does it come with at least 90 day warranty?

At least 30 day/1250 mile under MA lemon laws.

I have to saw after riding in a GLK SUV loaded to the hilt the S430 is a comparatively simple car in comparison. I cannot imagine buying a 2015 MB with any expectation of buying it 10 years used.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Of course the manager will tell you its a cream puff with zero problems.

In MA, it basically has to be a cream puff, everything should work or it will need to be fixed. Dealers can't sell a car as-is in this state unless it's under a certain amount and this one doesn't qualify. Used car warranty is at least 30 days up to 90 days depending on mileage. In this case, just 30 days as it's over 80k in mileage. Anything that affects use or safety is covered, so if you can't use the trunk closer, it's covered. If the dealer denies coverage, you can sue them and your 30 day warranty clock stops ticking once you're denied coverage. That's why it's in their best interest to fix it so the clock runs out, days in the shop also don't count. It's a really good warranty if you read it, didn't even know it was that good til I had a problem and then printed it out and showed it to the general manager and that's when he didn't even argue and agreed to fix my problems.

Originally Posted By: ThorpeyD
Many people are too busy with other things and / or do not feel the need to display status with their vehicles.

I didn't get mine for status, I just enjoy all the gadgets it has, even the sorta pointless ones like the headlamp washers, it's just enjoyable to drive. Way too easy to get distracted though. Actually sometimes people stare at me and I start to wonder why they're looking, then I realize oh yeah, the car. That why I feel the OP should keep looking, it's sort of a bare bones car, not a lot of good options. Keyless go and bixenons are neat, I have the active curve illumination so you can see the headlamps turn a little when turning the steering wheel. The newer models have even more gadgets, blind spot assist, lane keeping assist, adaptive high beam assist, power folding side mirrors, brake assist, collision assist, attention assist etc., but I'll wait a bit til they come down a bit more.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I cannot imagine buying a 2015 MB with any expectation of buying it 10 years used.

Well, when a simple car breaks something, odds are it won't move. A top of the line MB, no end to the things that could quit yet still leave you with something that moves.

I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure 2004 is squarely in the "bad old days" category for Mercedes, especially the S-class.

I understand that they have made huge quality improvements, especially in the C-class, but even still, you are vulnerable to getting hammered by some infrequent, $3,000/repair.

Having owned a v-12, I understand. There is nothing like it. Still, you have to be a low-mileage driver with a spare car to justify this. Yes. The lack of depreciation will save you $3000 year. What about the $3000 in repairs?

Last edited:
I think S class wasn't as bad in the bad old days, but if you look at the prices for an S class, 2006 is still pretty low, but once you go to 2007 with the newer body style, prices shoot up a lot.

As for those 3k items, that's if you buy OEM parts and get everything done at the dealer, prices are probably 1/2 to 1/3 of that if the OP DIY or finds a good indy. Plus at this stage, there are probably reman parts, aftermarket and junkyard parts to keep the costs down. There are also companies that rebuild things, just take the part out, send it to them and they send it back rebuilt. I've heard of that on a few parts like the alternator, radio, etc.

Originally Posted By: ThorpeyD
Many people are too busy with other things and / or do not feel the need to display status with their vehicles.

If a vehicle is reliable and you are comfortable with it, why not keep it going?

Yep!

Although, I will admit that people make unfair/stereotypical judgments about you when you're driving an S-class...they think I am a status type, for example, when I am really just a car guy that loves the engineering...

So, I display my "status" with my 1990 Toyota...and put the Vanity plate and Ivy League college stickers on the old truck...

Originally Posted By: Vikas
6qRX7Ac.jpg

That's nice looking! But then, I am partial to the looks of the W-220...

11.gif

This will be a daily driver and expected to run for another 100K+ and 10+ years without much drama and without putting me in the poor house

hahahahaha

why not? even some dealers sell 200K+ miles s-class on their website. if taken care of known issues, then it should be possible to run most vehicles up to 200K+ with reasonable maintenance and repairs. you obviously have to avoid a known lemon but otherwise it should be possible.

it should be possible to run most vehicles up to 200K+ with reasonable maintenance and repairs.

Yup. It just depends on the definition of 'reasonable.' The definition of 'reasonable' on a Corolla may not be the same as on an S-Class.
smile.gif

Yes, the parts are going to be expensive. A s-class brake rotor would be $100 whereas a Corolla brake rotor would be $20 or less. An AMG bi-turbo rotor would be probably $250 each! 16 spark plugs for the s-class would be $300 instead of $20 for the Corolla.

But your point stands; the definition of what is reasonable for s-class is different than Corolla.

So what if some people think a mid range Euro sedan is some kind of "status" symbol. If you can afford it, get it and be done with it - no need for all the angst. If you are inclined to compare a Mercedes to a Corolla, then you should probably stick with a Corolla. They are not comparable.

Mid range Euro sedans are better in every aspect than their more pedestrian $30K counterparts - not that those cannot be quite good, nowadays - but you simply get what you pay for.

They are better in every aspect that counts: bigger cabins, better comfort, better ride, better safety, as good as or better handling, far quieter, better materials, better fit and finish, and better, more on the edge, engineering, and far, far, far more durable.

If you want a V12, then get one. If you don't, then don't. Modern V8's are very good. Almost all modern engines are very good. V12's are more fun to work on and drive, and are more interesting, but that's merely my $0.02, FWIW.

I can add a fairly useless anecdote. My mom bought a new S500 in either '00 or '01 and had a number of repeat problems with it - related to brakes, suspension and electronics. It was a very nice, strong, quiet car that spent a lot of time at the dealer. She traded it in on a new (at the time) '05 E320 CDI which she still has today. She has had fewer problems with the '05 CDI in the last ten years than the S500 in four or five. The E320 has needed the adaptive headlights replaced (they drooped), motor mounts twice and a few other oil/diesel leaks around the engine. It currently has 105k miles on it and she has no plans to replace it anytime soon.

I don't know if an '04 S430 would be more comparable quality wise to the '01 S class or the '05 E class.

Previously she had 2 Lexus LS's that only went to the shop for battery, oil and tire changes (but they were incredibly boring to drive - the perfect car aside from being interesting)

Yes, the parts are going to be expensive. A s-class brake rotor would be $100 whereas a Corolla brake rotor would be $20 or less. An AMG bi-turbo rotor would be probably $250 each! 16 spark plugs for the s-class would be $300 instead of $20 for the Corolla.

But your point stands; the definition of what is reasonable for s-class is different than Corolla.

I paid $130-140 for 16 Bosch Platinum for E430(same engine as S430) few years ago. The same Bosch OE plugs is about the same price now. But the ignition coils are fairly expensive, about $220/ea at dealer and you need 8. Buying it(Bosch) at Amazon is about $400 for 8.

Some MB parts are expensive, some are not so.

My son drove a 98 C class for years in okay condition. Only thing it ever needed was a $30 ebay water pump. I couldn't believe his luck. He bought it with the plan of throwing it away when it broke. It never did. He still owns it as a backup car.

Purchased and installed the MB EPC/WIS; the whole 37 gigabytes of it! It sure seems to have steep learning curve to use though :-(

heck no! eventually I will be purchasing one but I wanted to make sure that I can handle the diagnostic work myself. That way I can always take it to my local shop and have them do exactly what I want them to do with my own parts if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back