Thoughts on 1st Gen Mazda RX-7s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always wanted an '84 or '85 RX-7 gsl-se. Way back in the late 90s I drove a first gen RX-7 gs and was really impressed with the nimble, balanced handling, styling and uniqueness of the rotary engine. Recently I've been trying to locate exactly what I want on ebay and craigslist. My hesitation is due to the fact that only a small number of mechanics know how to rebuild these motors. I suppose that worst case scenario I'd either have to get the car towed long distance or have a shop pull the motor and send it off to a to a rotary shop for an overhaul....
I'd like to hear from owners, past and present. Think these cars are worth it or am I better off chasing after a 300zx or Toyoya Mr2? Preferably the latter.

Last edited:
I looked very seriously at a second gen RX-7 before buying the BMW. This was a very nicely kept car that also had oil in its coolant. Pass!
These cars do have a lot of appeal.
They also have lousy engines that are great while they last. I've driven these cars and the smoothness and easy revability, not really a word, are astounding.
I'd check around online and see what's available in rebuilt engines.
IIRC, part of the problem is that a lot of the cores end up not being rebuildable. It's not usually just a matter of replacing tip and side seals, FWIU.
Out of your choices, I'd probably go with Mr. Two.

fdcg27,
The rotaries can fail early, but I've also read that they can go 250,000+ in naturally aspirated form *if* they dont overheat. Im really partial to the 1st generations low weight, but I love sportscars under 2500 lbs. (Just not convertibles)

I loved mine. The rev ability is the closest you will get to a motorcycle and the handling is great.
Mine got around 20mpg and drank a quart of oil about every 3000 miles. The transmission hump was always warm and the legroom was a little cramped.
I delivered pizzas for 6 months after college so it wasn't ideal duty but it did fine. If you want power, 5000+ rpm is where you live. Low end torque just doesn't happen.
As far as being stranded, I don't see it being any more likely than other engines.

I love the first gens. Excellent lil cars with great fun factor. Very tossable.

MR2? Not too bad. 350ZX is a tank compared to either of the other choices! But built like one too...

I've had a 1980, a 1986, and a 1987 turbo. Overall reliability was excellent. My 1980 took more abuse than any car ever should have. I accidently left the radiator cap off before heading out on a 200 mile trip. It was running warm (it sometimes did that) but no other symptoms of trouble. When I finally got to where I was going and heard the hissing, I knew the end was near. It had 138,000 miles and ran perfectly before this. I traded it in on a almost new 1986.

My 1986 was taken off the road at 135,000 miles by a severely left of center pickup truck. Ran perfectly and was the most reliable car I had ever owned.

My 1987 turbo was less reliable than the others but pretty decent overall. It blew an apex seal at around 125,000 miles. Even on one rotor it had enough power to drive the 50 miles back home. What fdcg27 said about cores not being rebuildable is pretty spot on. I tore the engine down, it was horrific inside. Some parts are reuseable but most of the time the housings and at least one rotor gets so scored there is no hope of ever using them again. Usually you have to go diving for new ($$$) housings and rotors, or find one or two donor engines to piece a good one together.

The earlier carb'd 12A engines generally last longer than the later 13B's. I believe the 12A's had 3mm apex seals as opposed to the later 2mm seals. There are some well known rebuilders, Atkins and Rotary Resurrection come to mind. Spend some time on the Rx7club forum, there is a lot of good info there.

The 1980 and 1987 averaged about 22-24 mpg on the highway. Around town, they can be pretty thirsty. The '87 turbo was an absolute gas hog if you were spooling the turbo a lot. All three of them handled great.

I would love a GSL-SE (even though its a 13b) but if I could fine one, I would be all over an early rust free 12A first gen. Super fun to drive cars, and at least around here there are enough of them in junkyards still that parts arent too difficult to get a hold of.

A buddy of mine bought a brand new 1st GEN RX-7 in '78 or '79. I don't remember if the 1st GEN was a '79 or, that he bought a '79 early in '78. He also love his early Gen Nissan 280Z & 300Z which he also bought in ~ 1976-1979. These were his kind of cars where as, most of us in our circle were buying/driving old Muscle Cars.

I must say that these cars were certainly different from the BEASTS that we were all driving. Easy to drive compared to our larger Muscle Cars with heavy clutches, steering & exhaust rumble!

That's all I really remember about these cars but, it is a nice memory!
wink.gif

There is so much information out there on these cars. If you are interested, the best place to start would be an Rx-7 specific forum such as rx7club dot com. There are some very knowledgeable people there. I have had my 1984 GSL (12A with Limited Slip Diff) for over 10 years now. It's not a daily driver anymore, but it has never given me any trouble.

The most important thing I tell people to do to make these engines last a long time is to treat them like a 2-stoke engine; PRE-MIX TCW3 2-stroke oil in with the gas. 100:1 ratio should be fine.

Last edited:
Are the second gen ones any more expensive? At the autocross, a fellow had a 2nd gen caged one with a quick spooling turbo. It seemed sort of torquey almost to watch it. It was still driven on the street as well. Its been the most impressive rotary I've seen, including RX-8's, with the exception of some very strong 3rd gen turbo RX-7's.
There was a 1st gen RX7 that came out to autocross a few times, and it was kind of neat, rev'd very high, but it was a bit gutless. My old neon was significantly quicker, although far less cool!

My '79 RX was a BLAST. Ran like a scalded chicken. I then put an IMSA fiberglass kit on it and it looked sharp. Installed a killer stereo system as well. Absolutely loved that car. Now, it sits at my brothers house waiting to be restored, but that's probably not going to happen. I had the 12A carb version and didn't have any problems at all. The one thing I hated, was the upside down oil filter atop of the engine.

Schmoe, You should go to ebay dot com and search for rx7 there is a two owner 1985 rx7 with 35,900 original miles. It is a gs model with the same 12a rotatry and should be identical to your old car except for some minor interior/exterior updates. I'd really like the gsl se version for its fuel injection and extra 40 hp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Are the second gen ones any more expensive? At the autocross, a fellow had a 2nd gen caged one with a quick spooling turbo. It seemed sort of torquey almost to watch it. It was still driven on the street as well. Its been the most impressive rotary I've seen, including RX-8's, with the exception of some very strong 3rd gen turbo RX-7's.
There was a 1st gen RX7 that came out to autocross a few times, and it was kind of neat, rev'd very high, but it was a bit gutless. My old neon was significantly quicker, although far less cool!

The second generation ones are heavier and slightly less nimble. Most people look at the 1st generation cars and say they are too small....I say lighter makes a better driving experience.

I just recently lost out on the best of both worlds. There was an 85 gsl se with an engine and transmission from a second generation turbo car. It was Japanese speced and put out 320 hp. Keep in mind that these cars put out 140 hp stock. I missed out on that car by some guy outbidding me on ebay by 100 dollars with TWO seconds left....

Last edited:
RX-7's are cool because of their uniqueness, but they have some issues. One being longevity as others have mentioned, and if you overheat the engine it is usually trashed, and not rebuildable. The best RX-7's in my opinion were the 3rd gen.. I wouldn't touch a 4th gen. with a 10 foot pole.

Out of your choices I would go with a 2nd gen MR2 with the 3sgte(turbo) motor. Those motors are capable of over 400 HP fairly reliably with just add ons, and they handle very well.

Originally Posted By: 29662
RX-7's are cool because of their uniqueness, but they have some issues. One being longevity as others have mentioned, and if you overheat the engine it is usually trashed, and not rebuildable. The best RX-7's in my opinion were the 3rd gen.. I wouldn't touch a 4th gen. with a 10 foot pole.

Out of your choices I would go with a 2nd gen MR2 with the 3sgte(turbo) motor. Those motors are capable of over 400 HP fairly reliably with just add ons, and they handle very well.

Yeah those Mr2s are awesome, but the prices they are commanding are in the stratosphere. Seriously you have to spend at least 10,000 to get a good example of a 2nd gen Mr2 turbo......If they weren't so high I'd be all over one

Thought about a Toyota Supra? Or Mistubishi 3000GT? Or if you have a money tree, how about a nice Acura NSX?!

Originally Posted By: weasley
Thought about a Toyota Supra? Or Mistubishi 3000GT? Or if you have a money tree, how about a nice Acura NSX?!

NSX---I wish
grin.gif
That is my dream car without a doubt. But there is no money tree at my disposal, I am very much on a budget. I've just decided to sell my perfectly reliable and practical old Toyota Avalon to buy the impractical sports car I've always wanted....on a budget.
I do like those other cars you mentioned, but particularly like very lightweight sports cars......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

Yeah those Mr2s are awesome, but the prices they are commanding are in the stratosphere. Seriously you have to spend at least 10,000 to get a good example of a 2nd gen Mr2 turbo......If they weren't so high I'd be all over one

True, but there's a reason they command the money that they do. I saw one put down 470 HP on a dyno (at the wheels) on a stock block motor with only external add ons. It was impressive to say the least.

Originally Posted By: Clubber_Lang

True, but there's a reason they command the money that they do. I saw one put down 470 HP on a dyno (at the wheels) on a stock block motor with only external add ons. It was impressive to say the least.

If I had that kind of a budget, I would buy one I just looked at on craiglist. It is actually an Mr2 Spyder that was professionally modified with a lexus V6 putting out around 240hp and lots of torque, along with I believe a supra manual gearbox. To get that kind of power and torque into a 2150 pound car is amazing. If I had that kind of dough I'd get it and buy the add on hardtop only available in Europe and Japan. I think the guy wants 13,000 for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back