Cooper CS5 Review- 195/60/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have a few miles on these tires, I can review these tires:

Tire replaced: Sumitomo HTR 4

The first miles on these tires were interesting...and different from the Sumis. The HTRs were ready to go and noticed better handling right away. The CS5s were OMG floaty for the first 50 miles...not that surprising for a high mileage tire (T rated 80k), but as I said- the Sumis were easy to drive on right away (not bad for a 75k tire)

Have nearly 400 miles on them now...and what a change! These are great over the "poopy" roads in MI...where the other tire did not handle them quite as well. Very smooth, and actually improved the handling over Sumitomos (that's saying a lot for a Cobalt) Kinda makes the car a little more fun..
wink.gif
Got to test in the rain the last few days, and these tires handle just fine whether it be a little or a total downpour. Hoping I don't have to test the snow...maybe much later this year!

People say what they want about Sumitomo, but the tires I had never did me wrong and did their job well. That said, the CS5s BLOW these tires out of the water! Didn't actually think it might make this old chevy a little more fun to drive...but I was wrong.

So far, so good! Will reporting in as the miles add on....

Dave,

What car/year/trim line, are you running the CS5's on?
And certainly keep us posted as things change and you get more miles and different driving situations occur.

00 celica gt Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring 195/60-15 H speed rating, absolutely amazing in all weather that I have faced here in St. Louis, MO. They handle really well in corners as well, and I got em for $41 per tire! to me it was a steal. The best tires I have personally owned.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Dave,

What car/year/trim line, are you running the CS5's on?
And certainly keep us posted as things change and you get more miles and different driving situations occur.

2006 Chevy Cobalt LS

I have pictures of them too..but at the moment I'd have to link them off of FB since they made my photobucket disappear...
frown.gif

Got their first long freeway drive yesterday...very controled yet comfy.

Quicky becoming my favorite tire.....

Originally Posted By: Throt
Keep an eye on MPG if you would, I'm curious to see if you +/-.

Planning to....glad you mentioned it..will toss that in as well

MPGs are down just a bit, but waiting a little longer for these tires to break in before I can give good numbers....

I put a set of these on the minivan a month ago. It was a coin toss between these and the General RT43...the $60 Cooper rebate and the great reviews nudged me into buying the CS5's (T rated)...so far they're a winner...smooth, quiet and great handling. Time will tell how they hold up as the miles accumulate (had a set of CS4's on my old PT Cruiser and really liked them but tread life was less than I expected).

its not a LRR tire, if your worried about mpgs then buy a LRR tire.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

You never know...wife's Yoko Avids are not a LRR tire either, but those tires provide some of the best mpgs on her car that I have seen in a while....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs

You never know...wife's Yoko Avids are not a LRR tire either, but those tires provide some of the best mpgs on her car that I have seen in a while....

Some are. The Avid ascends are a LRR tire.

Quote:

New generation coupled silica compound provides exceptional all-season performance, improves braking and lowers rolling resistance

Low rolling resistance may not be a design priority or marketed but it certainly has decent rolling resistance. Most likely average or better compared to competition due to it being a very recent design.

However michelin energy saver it is not.

Last edited:
Over time, please mention if the noise levels increase with mileage on the CS5's. I have noticed the noise levels increasing with the RT43's but, they're NOT NOISY per/say! I can just hear them on the road.

I've had tires that were REALLY NOISY! Sounding like wheels bearing noise OR HUMMMMMMING NOISES or worst! These RT43's are not this noise. Just more audible compared to the G/Y ACT's we had previously.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Over time, please mention if the noise levels increase with mileage on the CS5's. I have noticed the noise levels increasing with the RT43's but, they're NOT NOISY per/say! I can just hear them on the road.

I've had tires that were REALLY NOISY! Sounding like wheels bearing noise OR HUMMMMMMING NOISES or worst! These RT43's are not this noise. Just more audible compared to the G/Y ACT's we had previously.

Will do! These things are crazy quiet now....

If they are not Michelin they are junk. Just ask the "experts" on this forum.

Originally Posted By: CKN
If they are not Michelin they are junk. Just ask the "experts" on this forum.

banana2.gif

I go my own way......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back