New General RT43's for Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently posted that I was leaning toward the Michelin Premier to replace the MXV4's I had on my Accord, but changed my mind in favor of the RT43's after finding a local installer with a good price.

$417 (after $50 rebate) OTD for 4 in the 205/60/R16 size, H rated. Price included installation, balance, road hazard, lifetime balance & rotation, tax, and free front end alignment. The quoted price per tire before any fees was $82.

With almost 150k on the vehicle I thought it was a good choice to go with a tier2 tire. I was happy with the MXV4's (H rated) throughout the more than 77,000 miles I had them on the car. They were showing about 4/32 at the time of replacement but were cracking pretty severely. They made it through the Winter without incident.

I have only a handful of miles on the RT43's but did take them out on the highway. They seem to be as quiet as the MXV4's, handle predictably, and ride a touch softer. Time will tell how they age.

Congrats on the tires. On the Michelin tires it seems "cracking" is becoming more prevalent. Previously it wasn't an issue. I am wondering what Michelin (seemingly) changed in their compounds?

That's an excellent price out the door for ANY tire, including all of those services. Their quoted price of $82 kills Tire Rack's price of $79 when you have to factor in shipping (which is over $15/tire for my zip code).

Another great example of saving money shopping locally. What tire shop is this?

Yep!
smile.gif

I have Altimax RT43's on two of my vehicles and absolutely love them - one of the best tires I've ever run...

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That's an excellent price out the door for ANY tire, including all of those services. Their quoted price of $82 kills Tire Rack's price of $79 when you have to factor in shipping (which is over $15/tire for my zip code).

Another great example of saving money shopping locally. What tire shop is this?

I found the shop through TireRack, Smooth Automotive in Medford, MA. My GF's parents live relatively close to the CT distribution Center and I was considering picking the General's up there rather than having them shipped. When the owner said his price was $82 I did a double take, not quite believing my ears.

You know how some of the best food can be found at hole in the wall restaurants? This place reminded me of that-a small, nondescript, rather uninviting shop with stacks of tires littering the "showroom" floor, a restroom/coatroom that would send most women running away in horror, and a stained and faintly malodorous tan couch that gave me pause as I was getting ready to plop down into it. But, hey, the service was straightforward, as were the prices, the workmanship solid as far as I can tell, and I was only there for a little over an hour. At prices like those I'd head back in a heartbeat.

By the way I checked the tire pressure cold and each was under-inflated by about 3lbs from factory spec, and I usually go 2lbs over that, so my initial impression of a "soft" ride has to be amended. Extra air firmed up the ride nicely.

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
I have Altimax RT43's on two of my vehicles and absolutely love them - one of the best tires I've ever run...

This is good to know and gives me confidence in my choice.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I was considering picking the General's up there rather than having them shipped.

That would certainly make a difference -- if you lived close enough to a Tire Rack distribution center to be able to fetch them yourself!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: k24a4
I was considering picking the General's up there rather than having them shipped.

That would certainly make a difference -- if you lived close enough to a Tire Rack distribution center to be able to fetch them yourself!

Hmmmm, a good thought! I wonder if TR allows you to pick up at their Dist. Cntr.? I don't see why not, but...!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back