Not open for further replies.
PowerBook G4 800 MHz circa 2003
OS 10.3.9
Safari 1.3.2

Here I'm opening AirPort and selecting Open Internet Connect:

Picture_1_Page_1.jpg

Here it's wanting me to select a network:

Picture_2_Page_1.jpg

Here I've selected Network ATT511 which is my new U-verse service.

Picture_3_Page_1.jpg

Here it's asking me to enter my U-verse Key Number which is 7837432115:

Picture_4_Page_1.jpg

Here is after I've entered in the key number and this is the Error Message I get:

Picture_5_Page_1.jpg

It seems as though the PowerBook sees the WiFi signal, but it's not letting me join the network. Why?

does it work with other AP's or routers?

sometimes old wireless equipment doesn't support new wireless settings.

Example I had to run a separate router for the ps3 to connect right.

Are you able to access the settings page on att511?

Last edited:
Rand - someone on another board told me the reason I'm not able to connect to the WiFi network is because this PowerBook is not able to understand the more advanced encryption that the U-verse router is using. He said my PowerBook uses the WEP network, but the router is using a more advanced encryption network called WPA2. Could that be the issue?

"He said my PowerBook uses the WEP network, but the router is using a more advanced encryption network called WPA2."

That's what I was just about to say. If you know how to do it, you can confirm this is the problem by turning off encryption on the U-verse router and seeing if the Powerbook is then able to connect. Depending on where you live and what else, if anything, you have on your network, wireless encryption may not be all that important.

dernp - An Ethernet cable wired directly works fine.

Johnny2Bad - From that drop down menu, WPA Personal is the only choice they give you.

"Here it's asking me to enter my U-verse Key Number which is 7837432115:"

Are you absolutely certain that key number is your wireless passcode?

If wired is working, you should be able to go into the router's settings and double-check it.

folzag - yes I'm sure that's the password. It works fine on another device.

I don't know how to change the router's settings.

You might try this-
For Mac OS X users, you may need to enter the $ character at the beginning of the Wi-Fi password.

If that doesn't work you can access the router by using a wired connection (or wireless from another working computer maybe)
Type 192.168.1.254 into a browser address bar.
(if you are asked to log on try password as the password Unless you changed it) or Uverse routers may use the wireless access key as the password.

http://www.wikihow.com/Access-a-U-Verse-Router

If asked for a password, use the wireless network key found on the sticker on your U-Verse router.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB421770&cv=812

Now verify that:
Security is set to WPA. (Selecting No Privacy will also work, but is not recommended for security reasons.)
WPA version is WPA-2 or Both. Choose BOTH
Mode is B/G/N. This standard allows the maximum interoperability with clients, while allowing 11n speeds (with the correct security).

You need to have 802.11 B networking available for your Powerbook

Last edited:
shanneba - I went to the AT&T Gateway modem page as you suggested.

The drop down menu has several options for Authentication Type:

WEP - Open
WEP - Shared
WPA - PSK (TKIP) / WPA2 - PSK (AES) default setting
WPA2 - PSK (AES)

Which one should I select?

And under Wireless Mode, there's several options:

802.11n/b/g 2.4 GHz default setting
802.11b/g
802.11b
802.11g
802.11n 2.4 GHz

Which one should I select?

I would try -

Authentication Type:
WEP - Shared

Wireless Mode
802.11n/b/g 2.4 GHz default setting

WEP has been around since about 2000, WPA didn't start until about 2004.

You might also consider getting a new USB wireless adapter for the Powerbook but it has USB 1.x ports if bought before about 10/2003, (after that they went to USB 2.0), and might not work well or at all with some USB 2.0 / 3.0 devices.

Last edited:
shanneba!! That works!!
55.gif
You sir, are brilliant!!
55.gif
Thank you sir!!
55.gif

And before you posted here, I didn't even know I could access my router settings via the internet. I thought it was NON-adjustable.

Keep in mind WEP is about as secure as having an open network. So if you've got neighbours, particularly neighbours with kids, I'd be careful about what you do on your WiFi.

Ultimately the setup you WANT is WPA2/AES however that's obviously not working so I would try the next step down which is WPA/TKIP. It is at least more secure than WEP.

OVERKILL - This is just temporary while I'm using the PowerBook. As soon as I get the MacBook fixed, I'll be switching the router back to WPA - PSK (TKIP) / WPA2 - PSK (AES).

White Elephant. You may want to edit your post to remove your actual WiFi key. Yes, it's the default and yes if you go to Best Buy and look at routers, you can see the serial #'s and MAC address on the box which is often related to the default WiFi key (and with your MAC possibly discoverable over the Internet) and yes WEP is crackable within minutes and yes you probably will change the WiFi key, but still, I'd still consider editing your post to remove it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back