Suicidal pedestrians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe those Hispanics can't read English signs about cross walks and no jay walking allowed.

Not a single individual that has casually walked in front of my car was of hispanic origin.

This here as well. The Hispanics are the absolute only people that use their common sense and realize that it's not a good idea to take on a 3000+ pound vehicle. Around here the biggest problem are the bicycle turds. They all have this entitlement attitude. They ride in the middle on the interstate on/off ramps (which have a min posted speed limit of 65,leading directly to a 75mph hwy,holding up traffic and being a complete safety hazard. And they all fit the same profile,white,wearing their little bicycle clothes and little dorky helmets covered with mirrors,etc. The Hispanic bicyclists are the only ones who have sense. If they have to use the ramps,they always stay in the shoulders and immediately exit off onto the sidewalks and will actually wait for the traffic to clear instead of the other types I mentioned that assume everyone will stop for them,sitting in the middle of a 65mph road stopping traffic. If they get run over they have it coming imo. Please use the common sense God gave you!

Pedestrian fatalities are way, way up. I won't generalize as to who is at fault. I don't know. I only know that I look both ways before jaywalking.

Originally Posted By: Rand
can we stop throwing out racial stereotypes?

I could say the same about white black brown red or yellow people.

Some people are trash and some arent.

for example around here most of the mexican types are the lawn care hard working type.

Obviously this varies by area but stereotyping inst really accurate.

My statement was based on my experiences. I made no mention of which ethnicity.

It doesn't matter to me if I come off as "stereotyping" any particular group.

I call it as I see it....or in this case....experience it on a continued basis.

I'll repeat it again......a certain ethnicity has REPEATEDLY walked across the road directly in front of my vehicle. These people do it on a regular basis as though they are tempting confrontation....or monetary reward. I've had them do it in store parking lots....shopping mall lots.....four lane highways....crosswalks that say "Don't Walk".....and just about any other place they can make themselves a nuisance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I yield to all pedestrians because the resulting legal and emotional mess from hitting one is simply NOT worth it in any possible scenario.

Here I had to yield for cars turning left when I had walk light on intersection, some drivers are making left turn on green(not green arrow) without looking out for pedestrian, because they were busy talking on cell phone.

At intersection without traffic signal I always look both sides and make sure no vehicle around before step onto the street, if there is any vehicle approaching I stay on sidewalk until that vehicle passes or stop and wave for me to cross the street.

Even if I had the right of way I don't like being hit by 3,000-4,000 lbs vehicle.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

This here as well. The Hispanics are the absolute only people that use their common sense and realize that it's not a good idea to take on a 3000+ pound vehicle. Around here the biggest problem are the bicycle turds. They all have this entitlement attitude. They ride in the middle on the interstate on/off ramps (which have a min posted speed limit of 65,leading directly to a 75mph hwy,holding up traffic and being a complete safety hazard. And they all fit the same profile,white,wearing their little bicycle clothes and little dorky helmets covered with mirrors,etc. The Hispanic bicyclists are the only ones who have sense. If they have to use the ramps,they always stay in the shoulders and immediately exit off onto the sidewalks and will actually wait for the traffic to clear instead of the other types I mentioned that assume everyone will stop for them,sitting in the middle of a 65mph road stopping traffic. If they get run over they have it coming imo. Please use the common sense God gave you!

And there I thought Texas was Mississippi with better roads.

I yield to all pedestrians because the resulting legal and emotional mess from hitting one is simply NOT worth it in any possible scenario.

+1 I'm always EXTRA careful around walkers and bike riders, especially when downtown. It's always jaywalkers galore down there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Even if I had the right of way I don't like being hit by 3,000-4,000 lbs vehicle.

^^Exactly! No matter if I have the right of way *legally* or not,my 185lb frame is no match for a 3000+ lb vehicle.

We get hags that cross "the long way" IE not perpendicular to the road. Seems it thrills them to take as long as possible.

Motorists have a duty to avoid accidents, and blind guys with canes can cross anywhere, so one can still get morally and legally in trouble for accidents.

I find it humorous when someone goes to run across the road and they start off running for the first lane, then end up walking the rest of the way.

Quote:
These people do it on a regular basis as though they are tempting confrontation....or monetary reward.

Tempting confrontation ???

Similar down in the hip/hop/flip/flop/hipster-haven of Austin. Absolutely clueless and entitled. Too absorbed to pay attention to their surroundings. I shouted at some kid LOOK UP! while on my bike and he levitated! He was thumbing his way through a busy business entrance/exit and was nearly clipped.

I've used a loud car-horn burst at times to also get their attention. Darwin-award candidates.....

(Self-absorbed) dim bulbs indeed....

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Pedestrian fatalities are way, way up. I won't generalize as to who is at fault. I don't know. I only know that I look both ways before jaywalking.

As to who is at fault...depends entirely on the location of the incident.

We all know that sidewalks are for pedestrians to walk on, so if you drive your car down the sidewalk and hit somebody it is obviously your fault.
By the same logic, if a pedestrian chooses not to use the sidewalk but to walk on the road (the road which is there for cars to use) and a car hits that pedestrian, it is the pedestrians fault for walking on the road.

We can apply the same rules to sharks - you go in the sea the sharks might get ya, it's your own fault for going where the sharks are.

If the pedestrian was truly suicidal, they would jaywalk on a cement truck or a bus.

The types that sudden cross against cars are hoping the to have a line up of ambulance chasers greeting them side by side with the paramedics.

Idiots either way.

The problem in Portland I have found is that sometimes the crosswalks are poorly marked. There are a lot of them and hard to see them sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The problem in Portland I have found is that sometimes the crosswalks are poorly marked. There are a lot of them and hard to see them sometimes.

The crosswalk in question was at nw Everett and 9th...right in the heart of yuppieland.
there were about a dozen people waiting to cross... but one decided he was too much of a big shot to wait
I go to PSU and park on the street, I've got quite a few crosswalks to traverse and always either wait for the light to change, or make sure cars are actually stopping if it's a crosswalk with no light, like the ones on 4th just north of the 405. Self preservation is an instinct that seems to be vanishing.

Amen, on that.

I live really close to a pier here in So Cal. The Coast HWY can get interesting with careless bicyclists and pedestrians. But, it is when you get within a few streets of the beach and pier that things get down right ridiculous.

It always feels like "am I allowed to drive on the streets around here...are the streets blocked off for pedestrians and cyclists..what am I missing here...[censored] is going on here?"

The bicyclists seem more suicidal than the pedestrians. They don't stop for stop signs. They wander from the bike lane into traffic lanes without looking. They ride two or three side-by-side in traffic lanes. I have seen way to many close calls. Way to many.

I have actually searched online to see if there was anything about cyclists not having to obey traffic signs and rules. I did not find anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back