98 Expedition Consuming Too Much Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 98 Expedition with the 5.4 triton motor. 188K miles.
For the last couple years, I have been adding about 1 qt 5w 30 Mobil 1 Sythetic between 1K and 1500K miles.
It seems like it is getting progressively worse to about a quart every 500-1K miles and would like some insight as to what may be some possible problems and what the expense is like to remedy.
There is no visible smoke out of exhaust and no leaks anywhere.
I am debating on whether to invest any money into this, or get another with lower miles.

I read ford back spec'd this engine to 5w-20 just for this reason. I'd like to know if running 5w-20 cuts oil burning. Have you considered switching to Motorcraft 5w-20 right away? Run it 5000 miles and measure make up oil for the last 2000 miles.

Interesting feedback.
Was there a TSB regarding changing to 5W 20 on this vehicle?
In a world where synthetic is promoted to being superior, I switched over a couple years back. I have read in some places, that when switching to synthetic on higher mileage vehicles, that it cleans up and loosens deposits that may have formed over the years and cause inetrnal seal leaks. More miles I put on, the more I seem to have to add. I just wasn't sure if it is a valve or ring problem that I should address, or if it is as simple as changing my oil to conventional and/or change the weight. I am in Florida, so everything tends to be hotter here.
With all that said, I would rather fix a problem, then mask a problem, but if it is considered "normal" to burn this oil, I could just switch back to conventional onsider a heavier viscosiy.
The other thing is that I don't really mind putting in the oil, just don't want to leave a problem unaddressed, that could become a bigger problem.

Do you have the revised PCV tube installed? There's a TSB on oil consumption on this motor relating to that. This engine was not back-spec'd to 5w-20 to lower oil consumption; odds are using the lighter oil would only increase it. It was back-spec'd due to CAFE and convenience for Ford dealerships. I run 0w-30 and 5w-30 in mine and on the AFE 0w-30 it consumes nothing between 12K intervals.

I think I replaced the PCV Elbow a couple years ago. I went to inspect it a few months back and ended up snapping the plastic line. I conected it together with a piece of fuel line.
Perhaps I should repace the PCV and the lines.
I recall that when I replaced the elbow going into the rear, it was a rubber 90 degree formed elbow from Ford. Is that the right part, or did they change that part or the material it was made out of?

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I think I replaced the PCV Elbow a couple years ago. I went to inspect it a few months back and ended up snapping the plastic line. I conected it together with a piece of fuel line.
Perhaps I should repace the PCV and the lines.
I recall that when I replaced the elbow going into the rear, it was a rubber 90 degree formed elbow from Ford. Is that the right part, or did they change that part or the material it was made out of?

I believe the revised part is the entire hose assembly. How old is the PCV valve?

One other point to note is that about 15000 miles ago, I blew out a plug from the head..another common thing from this vehicle. I had a mechanic do a timesert insert. I had a concern that some shavings from the threading process could have caused a problem, but it seems like most think that the combustion in the chamber would disolve the aluminum shavings before they could pose any problem.

2 or 3 years on the PCV valve. I think last tune up was around 160K miles. I have 188 now.

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
One other point to note is that about 15000 miles ago, I blew out a plug from the head..another common thing from this vehicle. I had a mechanic do a timesert insert. I had a concern that some shavings from the threading process could have caused a problem, but it seems like most think that the combustion in the chamber would disolve the aluminum shavings before they could pose any problem.

Was it #4? I lost #4.

How long has it been drinking oil? I have similar mileage to you (290,000Km; roughly 180,000 miles) and have had the best results with M1 AFE 0w-30.

Are there any spots on the floor where you park it?

If not it could be valve guides, stem seals or rings - or possibly a faulty PCV system. Pull your PCV lines off and go for a drive - this will eliminate one possible cause without pulling stuff apart.

If the oil level drops while the PCV lines are disconnected then you need a mechanical fix, rings guides or seals as above.

Yes, it was number 4. I think I will try replacing PCV valve and hoses and switch to the 0W30. Do you like high mileage oils, or the fuel economy version, or just straight SAE 0W30. Is high mileage beneficial in any way, or maybe contributing to oil consumption?

I don't use high mileage, Mobil doesn't make one. Their only readily available 0w-30 is their Advanced Fuel Economy one.

Shavings in the cylinder can score the cylinder walls and rings and increase oil consumption. If you pull that plug and two others for comparison, you might see more fouling on the oil burning cylinder.

For a proper diagnosis, I would pull all the plugs, examine them, and do a wet/dry compression test.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Shavings in the cylinder can score the cylinder walls and rings and increase oil consumption. If you pull that plug and two others for comparison, you might see more fouling on the oil burning cylinder.

For a proper diagnosis, I would pull all the plugs, examine them, and do a wet/dry compression test.

This happened.

Just keep adding oil....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I don't use high mileage, Mobil doesn't make one. Their only readily available 0w-30 is their Advanced Fuel Economy one.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-high-mileage

According to this there is a M1 HM in 5w-20, 5w-30, 10w-30 and 10w-40.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

I should have been more clear. I meant in the 0w-30 grade.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66

This happened.

Just keep adding oil....

It doesn't explain the fact that he had very high consumption BEFORE the plug launched however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back